Manitoba Tiger Trout

S.M.05

Been really busy in life and although this is the one fishing forum I visit daily, it's been quite some time since I have posted anything.

Well Drew (Moosebunk) has been asking me for a while to put up a report about a trip I did to Manitoba for tiger trout.
With his help getting my photos uploaded and a kick in the pants here it is. Hope you enjoy!

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/manitobas-trophy-tiger-trout-by-mikey/

Cool, gorgeous fish, I've always found it a bit strange that they can successfully cross them as the Brown Trout is very closely related to the Atlantic Salmon and Brookies are not true trout but a Char. The Splake cross made sense biologically, these not so much.

dang, perhaps the coolest looking fish around. Perfect regs, no kill, no live bait will ensure that this fishery will sustain itself. Amazing.

They don't reproduce. Hybrids in general don't often reproduce. Tiger trout are triploid hybrids, so they are even less likely to reproduce.

Dave there are few other oddball hybrids out there but I assume the fact that tiger trout occur naturally in some areas may have encouraged the process.

John your right about them being sterile both in the wild and the stocked triploid trout.

Glad you guys think there just as cool looking as I do.

They are also a very aggressive and fun fish when they turn on.

Working on the 2nd part of the report from this year where I drove the 2700km to fish them again along with auroras on the way home.

On 11/13/2017 at 6:46 PM, Selfmade05 said:

I drove the 2700km to fish them again along with auroras on the way home.

It sounds like those tigers made an impression on you. Great story Mike.

Did you see many boats? are many guys fishing them?

I'm looking forward to part 2 of the tigers and the aurora story.

Edited by chris.brock

21 hours ago, chris.brock said:

It sounds like those tigers made an impression on you.

Did you see many boats? are many guys fishing them?

The Tigers are awesome Chris and truth be told although I caught some beauty tigers, I was after big colorful male and that would require a return trip.

Last trip at least two days I had the lake to myself, probably in part due to the weather.

This year was totally different with lots of people out each day, all types of weather. I think I counted 13 people or so the one day and it made accessing certain spots a waiting game some days.

With the crowd growing and few nice tigers under the belt it will be sometime before I would consider the trek again.

Edited by S.M.05

On 11/14/2017 at 12:55 AM, chris.brock said:

Me too man! Just need the work done at his end to get it posted. One problem may be, that it's slower than dialup some days here in Nunavut.

As for this report, pretty sure some of these pics were on my PC for two years. Difficult to get Mike motivated when it was brought up. Quite liked this write up and the fish but really, it's part two that takes the cake.  So hurry up Mikey!!! Git'er done.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎28 at 7:00 AM, Chuck Enwinde said:

Anyone else think that a sleepy little Ontario Provincial Park could make themselves a destination by stocking Tigers?   We already have hatcheries with Browns and Specks.  We already stock hybrids in the form of splake.   Seems like there is an opportunity here.  

Would be awesome to have a tiger trout fishery here in Ontario. As well as an organization similar to Flippr to help set up and manage several trophy lakes. As a destination for sure, met several guys that traveled from Ontario, Alberta and the U.S. while up there.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎28 at 7:35 AM, Joeytier said:

2 foot trout from small lakes sounds kinda fun!  That was a nice morning read...thanks for posting.

Thanks Joey.

The fishing was alright.........................:D

5 hours ago, S.M.05 said:

Would be awesome to have a tiger trout fishery here in Ontario. As well as an organization similar to Flippr to help set up and manage several trophy lakes. As a destination for sure, met several guys that traveled from Ontario, Alberta and the U.S. while up there.

Thanks Joey.

The fishing was alright.........................:D

I'd never heard of Flippr before you posted it but the original post inspired a discussion with a fishing buddy on our way to fish a stocked lake that contains trophy size specks ironically enough.  If a lake has trophy potential - why not manage it as such - even if it is stocked - even if they are hybrids.  There's already hundreds of lakes that you can go catch pan size brookies and splake from.   

Actually hearing some whispers of more atlantics being caught this year.  I just finally stuck the long rod in the truck.

I don't even think they'd cost money.  Just take some of the browns they dump in the Irondale river - never to be seen again, and a few of the 10 thousand brookies they feed to bass in Kennisis and Voila! Tigers.