Newfie goes Russian

misfish

Bartering fish for yummy Russian delight

I have friends that do not care to fish, yet love to eat it. I have no issues with keeping a fish for a friend when asked. My one Russian friend and I share or barter. I offer him a fish, and he in return, offers me pepperettes and smoked cheese. His wife makes us lunches sometimes. One day, I had this ground stuffed meat thing. It was so good. I thought it was ground turkey or something. Turned out, it was pork. So good, I had to ask how and what. I told him not to worry, he would still get his fish. LOL

This I was told, is a Russian staple . To me, it is a treat. Usually it is stuffed with onion and chopped egg. I , as I always do, changed it up to chopped onion and mushroom. Im sure what ever you stuff it with, it,s still so so yummy.

Main ingredient,

7MOFAkZ.jpg

Tried my hand at making the stuffed rolled pork.

HmF7GQk.jpg?1

C9ipIkj.jpg?1

fUmCgzd.jpg?1

So simple and ya, so fattening, But, so good. Might explain why he,s 260 lbs. LOL

Nothing like a nice 1" slice of cold corned beef out of the can with those gobs of fat in it on Wonder Bread and catsup.

I do buy stuff at Punjabi Market in Stoney Creek that has a small sticker on the can, jar or pouch that is in a language I don't know. Like the package above of whatever it is in Russian, I think it might be Russian. I love when the package has a sticker on it that says in English:

1) cook cut up meat with spice

2) add 1/2 a bowl of water

3) add ingredient

4) cook more

It turned out to be Paprikas or Hungarian Goulash and it is very, very good.

It is called "fant gulas i paprikas." Try it if you can find it. The meat would be cubed and browned pork.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Geez man have you ever had prosciutto on a lightly toasted chiabatta, drizzled with olive oil and eggplants and Sundried tomatoes? Then a side dish of cured cracked olives. Red wine is optional.

No cans involved!

You forgot the slice of Provolone!

Cold sliced canned corned beef and mustard sandwiches when I was kid. Definitely not a gourmet meal though.

Camp ground corned beef hash was pretty good. Canned beef chopped up, onion and diced potatoes fried till browned nicely and a couple sunny side up eggs on top. A bit of ketchup.