Elderly neigbours. ya gotta love them.

Old Ironmaker

Vance mentioned in another thread that his neighbour checked to see if his snow blower was ready to go because he does her snow. She can't be too elderly because she was on her way to work. We have elderly neighbours, my wife is 55 or 57 can't remember and she is the youngest here by far. My sweet 86 year old next door neighbour is a nice old lady. 4 or 5 years ago she mentioned that the couple that waters her plants moved away and doesn't know what to do. Having empathy as my folks are still alive and someday I hope there will be a young 60 year old that doesn't require copious amounts of meds a day just to take the trash out once a week will be kind to me some day. Of course you know what stupid said. She takes me inside to show me her plants, I didn't realize her Sunroom has 40 plants in it alone, plus the terrarium and about 25 others throughout her home. Proceeds to tell me how much each plant is to have, 1/2 cup every other day for this whatever you call it, this one 2 cups thrice a week, if this leaf turns this colour cut the leaf back 1/2 inch from the darkest portion, on this plant cut it back to 1" from the stalk, and, and, and, and. She says "you aren't writing this down!" Also I need you to drive me to the airport and pick me up at 2 AM because ticket was 20% less, pick up at 5AM on a freeking Sunday. Needless to say I watered each and everyone once a week to 10 days and soaked the Begeezus out of them. I went with procedure for 2 weeks at first. Only a few croaked. I drive her to the airport and pick her up, pay for parking and each and every year, one year she actually gave me a 10 buck gift card for Hortons that she got for Christmas but doesn't like Hortons and I probably could use it. No gift cards since but did let me know the next day which plants had to go to Intensive Care. My wife has told me for 4 years tell her no. I couldn't. When she told me she was flying out of Toronto not Hamilton because she got an even better price the sound I heard was the crack of the Camels back breaking. I made up 5 excuses why I quit. She grilled me on each and every lie. Then over the fence grilled my wife too when I wasn't around to catch me in a lie, er I mean a fib.

Today she asks me if I know anyone she can pay to water her plants and caught off guard I agree to drive her the 6 hour return to TO and back. I have a month to come up with 5 more lies to tell her I can't take her. For the frosting on the cake she told me today she bought her grand son a $110,000 air plane to start his business, I have seen her grand kid here twice in 21 years. No wonder the other plant watering neighbours moved, probably at a loss.

Any suggestions? Rant complete.

edit: Oops forgot, she also asks "Do what you have to do to make sure my car is running when I get home."

Rant over.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

you're a better man than I OI. I woulda found an out long ago lol. Seems she's using the 'helpless senior' schtick to get her way. if she can fund a plane for her grandson, she can well afford someone to do her bidding ;)

Afford it, 17 years ago when her husband was alive sold their Ancaster farm to a developer for 6 Million. 17 years ago.

Wanna come help with my garden? It's indoors and takes alot of electricity.

But in 8-12 weeks it's very fulfilling

Only 50 plants

Guess who got their medical marijowanna card? As long as those plants don't contain ,more that 10 to 15% THC I am told you are good to go. I would be careful as to how many million people you tell you grow dope to on the Internet, not a smart move. 50 plants 1/2 pound yield per at around $1600.00 a pound wholesale, $40,000.00 sitting in your house with 10 kids living there, real smart of you, really smart move. Especially where you live. You told me they will kill you for a dozen oxyies. Real smart Rick.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Not one person on this rez is a member here besides me.

I'm not that paranoid lol.

Plus,I have a purdy good security system.

Come raid me if ya dare

The drugs here are meth and oxies. Nobody cares about cannabis

You'd be amazed at the growing process OI. It's all rotation.

You can't just steal a plant and sell/smoke it. Takes 8-12 weeks(depending on strains) then wet trim or dry trim plus curing.

I only grow so much because I make rso oil. Takes about 2 ounces of flower to make a gram of rso.

Edited by manitoubass2

Either you've made up a fun story to tell the group, or you have the worlds most presumptuous and self absorbed neighbour. If the former, I find telling the truth is better than telling stories. If the latter, just say no and when asked why say because I don't want to.

Edited by porkpie

Here's what works for this 83 year old.

Don't do anything for me that I can do for myself.

I drove, solo, to Red Lake, Ontario for a float plane ride, spent Thanksgiving 2017

in camp with friends at my favorite fishing lake and fished for a week. Couldn't

have done that if I'd allowed others to spoil me.

Elderly folks sometimes need tough love.

when i was living in bradford, I would use my atv to plow my driveway the driveways of my rental units

and as long as i was doing it, i would give a couple of neighbours drives too

i never asked for a thank you or anything, the one had a wife in a wheelchair and the other couple was old and i saw him having troulbe trying to shovel

anyways one day as i get there to do his after a full day of work he comes running out of the house waving at me, i thought he wanted to thank me or offer me a coffee or beer, but he says to me ." hi ,you need to get here much earlier in the day. i cant wait till 4 pm for you to do my driveway "

i say i work all day from 6 am and this is when i can do it, sorry

he says well then you just need to change your schedule because this just doesnt work

I said, you know that im your neighbour and i do this a favour to you

he said oh, i thought you worked for the city, sorry about that, do you think you could do it before you go to work....lol i laughed

Lol Terry. I've got similar stories when I worked maintenance in RRFN.

In winter I used a 1 tonne to plow all the roads, and building parking lots.

Well maintenance on the rez was pretty boring alot of days so I just started doing driveways to kill time. I mean why now, two swipes I'm done.

Turns out that was a horrible idea and everyone expected it asap every morning when it snowed

Man I'd get alot of flack if I was busy with other things

One lady came out as I did half a swipe on her driveway. She cursed at me for being white and working on the rez. So I stopped, grabbed a shovel and threw it on her driveway, said here ya go, do it yourself.

Man I thought I was fired for sure.

Chief and council just laughed and I got a PO to run to tompkins and order 200 shovels.

When they arrived my job was to throw one on every driveway except for elders.

That was the end of me plowing driveways lol

Not one person on this rez is a member here besides me.

I'm not that paranoid lol.

Plus,I have a purdy good security system.

Come raid me if ya dare

The drugs here are meth and oxies. Nobody cares about cannabis

You'd be amazed at the growing process OI. It's all rotation.

You can't just steal a plant and sell/smoke it. Takes 8-12 weeks(depending on strains) then wet trim or dry trim plus curing.

I only grow so much because I make rso oil. Takes about 2 ounces of flower to make a gram of rso.

I thought the number one rule with growers was tell nobody. You realize there are thousands of people reading this right?

Here's what works for this 83 year old.

Don't do anything for me that I can do for myself.

I drove, solo, to Red Lake, Ontario for a float plane ride, spent Thanksgiving 2017

in camp with friends at my favorite fishing lake and fished for a week. Couldn't

have done that if I'd allowed others to spoil me.

Elderly folks sometimes need tough love.

Spoiled? No way, at 83 and what you have done for some/many (including me) has earned you the right of passage on a few things.

Might want to remember that next spring, that's my tough love for the day lol

IO, I had the same kind of neighbour once! She was a retired stock broker and would ask for ANYTHING if it suited her. My wife and I drove her to her doctor's appointments, babysat and shampooed her dog, planted shrubs, geesh the list goes on and on. And all without as much as a nickel in return. She even bought the house next to her because "she wanted to control who her neighbours would be".The icing on the cake came when she emailed my wife explaining her nephew was going to private school, she was going to have a yard sale to raise money for him, and could we bring over stuff for her to sell??? We were a young family, two kids(under 6), one with cronic care needs and only one income. My wife blasted her back and told her she should be ashamed of herself, knowing all well our predicament and asking for goods as well as physical help. No response, no apology, no thank you for what you've done, zilch. The free ride was over I guess.

Tell her nicely to bugger off. People like her know that they're being rude, selfish and taking advantage of you but just don't care.

This thread is entertaining.. Lol.. I hate working for some retired people.. Sometimes they don't realize how busy I am with work, Renos at home, property maintenance, cutting firewood etc.. I don't know why I even get the newspaper because I don't have enough time to read it...

It is a true story, some artistic licence has been taken for entertainment purposes, like most stories. This isn't the first time I've been taken advantage of by the elderly or physically unable. It's my nature plus some paying it forward. My Father is the worse to take advantage of neighbours, the worse. All his life he knew each and every skill neighbours and co-workers had. He would ask the electrician across the street to do him a "little" favour and the next thing the poor guy knew he was fishing wire through a ceiling to hook up a ceiling fan. The plumber next door was asked to look at the drip in the shower and he's tearing the wall out to re plumb the tub and shower, and tiling it too. I always played stupid and the useless one and left all the repairs including putting a new roof including trusses on the garage to my not much younger brother. Now I guess I'm making up for my Father getting others to do for him because I didn't, maybe, I missed 7 years of Phycology school. When I bought my first home my father came over when I was doing the rec room. He wanted to know when the heck I learned all this? I always knew Dad, you just never bothered to ask me for help because you said I was too stupid to do anything beside play sports so I just played stupid.

As far as announcing to the world one grows dope at the same place you have your young family living all that I can say is "Loose lips sink ships." Balance deleted. You aren't a stupid man Rick, don't do stupid things no matter how many reasons you have in your head to justify them. An addict will steal anything they don't use to sell so they can feed their habit, weed included.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

LOL Reading this stuff about growing pot, reminds me of a family member that use to grow. He started his crop in the basement under a growing light. Once spring came he replanted them outside in his secret spot. LOL

Once it got close to harvesting the plants, he began to brag to one to many people. The day came to harvest and all that were left were 1 inch tall stocks. LOL

Like OI said loose lips.

It was a shame thou, I had a chance to see his plants before they grew legs. About 4-5 feet tall and the darkest of green; all that was needed, was a little ripening on the stock and then curing, Someone got one hell of a crop. LOL

Dan.