Loons

captpierre

Big fan of Loons here.

Lots at the cottage.

After watching them for years, I notice that come October-November, I only ever see young Loons on the lake. Likely that years chicks.

They are still a bit brown. Never see any mature one late in the year.

I guess older birds get outta Dodge earlier.

Maybe the younger birds cant fly well enough till late in the fall.

Makes me wonder how the young birds know where to over winter.

Anybody find the same thing?

Edited by captpierre

After watching them for years, I notice that come October-November, I only ever see young Loons on the lake. Likely that years chicks.

They are still a bit brown. Never see any mature one late in the year.

I guess older birds get outta Dodge earlier.

The winter plumage of even adults is quite a bit lighter and brownish, not at all like the crisp blacks and whites of breeding plumage.

My understanding is that there is a social aspect to the migration from any given lake. One adult male stays back on the lake until the chicks of that year are ready to go. Can't remember where I heard that, so It's probably incorrect. LOL

Both genders change plumage. The adults do "abandon" the immature birds by migrating several weeks before them. The young often gather in large groups on larger lakes before migrating. Loons from this area often migrate first to the great lakes, the on to the Gulf of Mexico. The young will stay there for the first 3-4 years of their lives before they ever come back inland to breed. Most folks think of loons as inland lake birds; they spend most of their lives on the ocean.

Many Loons have caught on to being winterized and some not so much. I heard they prefer bathing is Sea Foam over many other winterization practices before heading south. It makes their journey much easier with their feathers treated and that's why many look so brown. By next year the Sea Foam wears off and it's back to black and white specks again. :devil:

You can't beat Sea Foam with a Ugly Stick . . . . . . . :tease: