Late season walleye

KraTToR

Hi everyone, this is my feeble attempt at moving us back a little towards fishing :) There is so much political crap going on these days i've become helplessly blind towards it..

So.... my conundrum is Quinte this weekend and hoping to place a nice report on here monday (if the forecast holds) bud and i will be launching in Picton.

We'll want a limit of eaters if we can find them but would also like to troll the reach for a transient or 2..

Thoughts?

Edited by KraTToR

Spent all my summers in Quinte but never fished the fall

Shad raps perch or black and silver worked for us

not forgetting worm harnesses and earie dearies

we used to troll the shore line but i guess they should be in the deep by now

Good Luck!

im headed to the kawarthas this friday for some eyes my self

I think you have to wait for the real bad weather or fish at night. I tried it a number of times and did not have much luck in the fall. I participated in a meet and greet there through another forum and there were only two fish caught all day by the same boat.

The fish are there, but tough to get them to bite. We witnessed one of the local netters pulling a net up and there were a good number of walleye in it. The exact same place we put in some significant time. I have had friends pay a guide and not have any luck either.

However, I'm sure someone has success or anglers wouldn't keep going there.

Edited by jimmer

Thanks Mike, what kind of temps are you looking/waiting for?

For me fall walleye goes from 53 degrees down to say 38 degrees

And look at it like a bell curve... 53 I get action and fall patterns are getting going... say 45-50 is smoking action with numbers and size... 45 and below it slows and bite windows get really small but the fish are big

Start trolling as soon as you leave Picton harbour, right at the pump house. Troll the East shore line going no shallower than 25 ft. Minimum of 200ft of line behind the board and at least 150 - 200ft+ from your planer board to the boat. Be the first boat out of Picton, start fishing before the sun comes up. Yellow baits before the sun, blue, green, purple after the sun comes up.

Probably too late in the season to run worm harnesses...

For eaters, if the conditions allow, jig the trench just west of the ferry.

HH

Up to about 15 years back we hit Quinte at the Telegraph Narrows in the fall for a week every year in mid to late Oct, never Picton though. The fish were there and we did well, the problem was the wind. Many days we dared not go out with angry waves. We did very well with Rappala Shad Raps on planner boards or just drifting with Lindy Rigs and artificial Leeces. We didn't need riggers as the fish were up higher looking for warmer water I believe. 15 to 25 feet.

Like I said the issue was wind, and cold. I don't like to be wet and cold because I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold now. We went golfing in Picton one year when we couldn't get on the water on the 14th of Oct. I remember because it was my bday. It snowed and stayed on the grass, brrrrr.

Nothing here political any longer KraTTor, good luck, go slam em' man.

Thanks for the advice! I have almost ever colour of deep tail-dancer which seems to be a favorite. If the forecast holds true, then it should be a decent day with a high of 7 and winds around 4 knts.

If anyone else is out there pls say hi!

A buddy was out Glenora way yesterday and although not cold enough yet a great glass smooth day none the less. They went 3/5 with the biggest at just over 11 lbs. Other friends smashed their limits of eaters from shore last night. Not there quite yet but things are shaping up.

19 minutes ago, moxie said:

A buddy was out Glenora way yesterday and although not cold enough yet a great glass smooth day none the less. They went 3/5 with the biggest at just over 11 lbs. Other friends smashed their limits of eaters from shore last night. Not there quite yet but things are shaping up.

Good to know, I didn't get out last weekend due to the weather. This w/e doesn't look much better either.  I'll keep trying as long as the average temps stay around +5