Coho egg collection on Sunday November 12th

John Bacon

Metro East Anglers would like to invite all its volunteers to join in its annual Coho Egg Collection on the Credit River this Sunday, November 12th. This is a great opportunity to get hands on with these beautiful spawning salmon that are waiting for us below the fish ladder. We will need crews of able bodied individuals for electrofishing, transport of fish from the river up to staging area and assistance with spawning. We would greatly appeciate individuals able to attend to let us know, so we can add your name to the access list.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1413789665400747/

Forgive my ignorance John. You say fish ladder and it,s on private property. Fishing the river from Toronto up to the forks of the credit and above that, there has only been one transfer lift that I was ever aware of. That was in Streetsville. . The dam. It was public property, a park, when I fished it in the late 70,s and through out the 80.s and mid 90,s. Have things changed, Nice to see the helping to carry on the Coho fishery. I enjoyed watching them spawn at Erindale and the old Kraft area.. Beautiful colors they have at this time. Best coloring next to the browns.

Edit to add

I see it is the old dam in Streetsville. Boy, has that configuration changed from what I remember. Even had to google earth to see the changes.

Edited by Misfish

The collection is at Streetsville. The dam is on private property. I am sure that it was always private property even if it wasn't enforced for marked.

The plant next to the dam owns the property. It was a subsidiary of Kraft, it may have changed hands.

Im sure back when and then, there was not the need to post, as there was much respect. Today, can see the posting of private/no trespassing.

I would walk from the park all the way down to the dam. No fence no signs. I even walked across the dam, to get to the best above the dam spot for rainbows. Drop backs. Sure glad I have the great memories of those days.