No name fly

misfish

Nice first efforts Brian :)

Hopefully your Sail is better stocked than Burlington where they seem to be running stock down and to be honest it was never that great anyway. I buy a lot of material online, first place I look is always John in London, probably has the most stock and good prices, if he doesn't have it he can get it - http://www.freewebs.com/johnsflymaterials/if I want to look at stuff first and go talk fishing I hit Drift on Toronto (bit of a trek for you), good stock and Chris K works there, Flymart.ca also have some different stuff.

You can use sewing thread but you just need to get stuff that's fine enough as regular sewing thread is pretty thick by fly tying standards (or it was when I was a kid stealing my mum's stuff anyway!)

Whip finisher - they take some getting used to but if the thread keeps slipping off the loop near the handle, you may need to adjust it, mine did that and I closed the loop up with a pair of pliers and it helped enormously. I don't whip finish steelhead flies as they don't last long enough to fall apart, one or two half hitches does the trick. I do take the extra time on things like big/articluated streamers.

Keep up the good work :good:

Brian the only flies I know are the ones that get into the cottage and bite or the ones on my pants. I have to give it to you Brian, starting a new hobby as fly tying sure is a challenge, especially at your age. Keep it up. If you tie flies for the same amount of time you float around in that hybrid boat, inner tube, diving platform you are going to count them by the pound by the time ice is out. Any of the guys I know that tie flies need stronger and stronger glasses every year.

The flies you showed here Floatnfly are as much or more Art as they are craft. Very nice. I need to give fly fishing another shot. I know where to get some deadly flies. Maybe someone here will put up with me for a day learning how next spring.

How about you give me a shout when the carp are in near your place, I'll bring some fly gear over and we'll have at it?

Brian the only flies I know are the ones that get into the cottage and bite or the ones on my pants. I have to give it to you Brian, starting a new hobby as fly tying sure is a challenge, especially at your age. Keep it up. If you tie flies for the same amount of time you float around in that hybrid boat, inner tube, diving platform you are going to count them by the pound by the time ice is out. Any of the guys I know that tie flies need stronger and stronger glasses every year.

:w00t::lol:

I just watched a guy tie one of those wovey bugs. Pretty cool.

Also going to tie some of these this weekend. Give them a try next week.

How about you give me a shout when the carp are in near your place, I'll bring some fly gear over and we'll have at it?

For the last 20 years you can walk across the things here cuzza. With the high water levels I never saw or heard one this year. There would be nights when we had the windows open you could hear them having at it. I'll let you know when they arrive next spring. Remind me, I need lots of reminding these days

:w00t::lol:

I just watched a guy tie one of those wovey bugs. Pretty cool.

Also going to tie some of these this weekend. Give them a try next week.

You caught that eh oldtimer. But seriously good on you.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'm crying at this 'fly'. Almost like the mop fly

It's really no different to the bead head san juan worm you posted, it just uses rubber instead of chenille. They both work (well) for the same reason, they're a pink worm pattern and steelhead love pink worms! If I'm steelheading and can fish two flies, one is normally a pink worm of some kind. Brian, if you;re tying them up make some unweighted ones especially if you're going to fish them under a float.

OldIronmaker - sounds good, this year was odd with the higher water, no carp where they normally are and loads where there are normally none. I need "reminders" too :)

Not only is Cabelas blowing out high end rods ( which they still had a handful in stock ) they are blowing out their fly tying stuff.

Pretty much half price of BPS or Sail.

Time to get busy.LOL

Going to be tying up some fresh water shrimp scuds. My favorite perch bait. Got to talking to a bye from the rock as well and he tells me they work great for stream trout. Said to just add some hackle to the river ones.

Busy busy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Gonefishing::canadian::D

Lead and copper wire was on for $1,25 a spool. That was a 60% savings from the other stores.

gbe001n.jpg?1

Guess who got the whip finish down? Ya baby, it,s easy when you got the right tool.

Fuzzy scud ( ya I know, need to trim the back )

Kc4Bxgk.jpg?1

My own version of cluster egg drifter

lwdOCMF.jpg?1

Those are #10. Getting smaller. LOL

I am finding that I am doing to much with my left eye condition. Straining it. Need to take a break.

Edited by Misfish

A guy that used to mentor me at gagnons told me about a tyer in one of the clubs, he had lost the use of one arm, and was tying on #32 hooks........he would place the material with his teeth, then tie it with his good arm. I didn't complain about doing #18 hooks any longer

Those flies will all catch fish ;) Tiers are their own worst critics, the fish, steelhead particularly are not the most sophisticated thinkers. I gave up on head cement and whip finishing most flies years ago, not worth the effort. A couple quick hitches and a dab of superglue is adequate and easy.

Josh

Get a magnifying light, will save a ton of eye strain for the smaller bugs. You know the kind, the ones with a magnifying glass with a circle of lights around it.

I sure do know the one. I have to use it when Im rewiring sensors wires.

Those flies will all catch fish ;) Tiers are their own worst critics, the fish, steelhead particularly are not the most sophisticated thinkers. I gave up on head cement and whip finishing most flies years ago, not worth the effort. A couple quick hitches and a dab of superglue is adequate and easy.

Josh

Thanks Josh.

Have been using Sally Hansen nail polish hardener. Works great. I was half hitching, but I needed to get the whip accomplished, and I find it very easy to use now.

Some from this morning.

e7pDckX.jpg?1

I need to get a quick clamp vise that rotates. Hear that Santa ? LOL

Now time to tie up some roe bags for Monday mornings fish. :Gonefishing:

For a vise I use the griffin mongoose. Great vise for around $150, and the jaws are interchangeable, mine came with a screw clamp, but it's literally a quarter turn to loosen up. They also have a clamp set of jaws as well.

I started off with the cheap fly tying kit vise, and upgraded after a few weeks when the screw finally stripped