No name fly

misfish

LOL

My first creation. Think I,ll call it the" surprise me fly. LOL

OMG, this fly tying takes patients. The whipping end has me frazzled. Made one and well,

IBa88Jl.jpg

I know what I have is entry level. Will be up grading one piece at a time. First thing on my list will be a whipping tool. The ones most have on the you tube teaching, all have the spinning ones. Mine is one piece and well, frustrates the crap out of me. LOL

That sucker in a size 14 would be a magnet when caddis flies are out

you want frustration try whipfinishing by hand not a tool

14 ? I had enough time with the #8. LOL

Ya the hand one I have been trying too.

Beer me.

LOL

The best flies are usually a home made no name version, some can be quite deadly

I don't whip finish my flies, I just do a knot, and a good coating of head cement.

A few tips

for the heads, should be the same size as the hook eye

Tails usually no longer than the hook shank

Hackle usually no longer than the hook gap

The best flies are usually a home made no name version, some can be quite deadly

I don't whip finish my flies, I just do a knot, and a good coating of head cement.

A few tips

for the heads, should be the same size as the hook eye

Tails usually no longer than the hook shank

Hackle usually no longer than the hook gap

So I should trim the back hair back ?

Been watching tons a videos this afternoon. I need to stock up. LOL

I,ll leave this one as is. Going to use as it is, but will take your advice.

Thanks FF

Whip finishing will become instinct soon enough.

I'm no expert by any means, I haven't even tied in a year or two, but here's what I found made the biggest impact for me.

1. Don't crowd the hook eye. Make sure to leave yourself space for the whip finish, otherwise you're constantly fighting materials in your way.

2. Tie a number of the same fly at the same time, rather than jumping from pattern to pattern. Try to make the next fly better than the last, focus on the small details.

3. Less is more. A sparsely dressed fly is easier to tie and fishes better.

Skip Morris has an excellent book, Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple, that will take you from a very basic caddis made from only dubbing all the way to dry flies. It's a nice way to learn techniques and build on them.

Whip finishing will become instinct soon enough.

I'm no expert by any means, I haven't even tied in a year or two, but here's what I found made the biggest impact for me.

1. Don't crowd the hook eye. Make sure to leave yourself space for the whip finish, otherwise you're constantly fighting materials in your way.

2. Tie a number of the same fly at the same time, rather than jumping from pattern to pattern. Try to make the next fly better than the last, focus on the small details.

3. Less is more. A sparsely dressed fly is easier to tie and fishes better.

Skip Morris has an excellent book, Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple, that will take you from a very basic caddis made from only dubbing all the way to dry flies. It's a nice way to learn techniques and build on them.

Thanks Tom for the advise as well.

It was my first and I thought it wasn't bad for my first. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Far from perfect. Practice practice.

Thanks again.

So I should trim the back hair back ?

Been watching tons a videos this afternoon. I need to stock up. LOL

I,ll leave this one as is. Going to use as it is, but will take your advice.

Thanks FF

Always trim from the stem side of the hair or feather, never touch the thin end, that's the part that gives you the movement. So measure what you need for the tail, pinch it at the spot, tie it on where you have pinched, trim the excess that's covering the hook shank

Davie mcphail is good to watch, and also in the riffle.

Edited by FloatnFly

Thanks Tom for the advise as well.

It was my first and I thought it wasn't bad for my first. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Far from perfect. Practice practice.

Thanks again.

Most definitely. Like most skills practice is counts.

Always trim from the stem side of the hair or feather, never touch the thin end, that's the part that gives you the movement. So measure what you need for the tail, pinch it at the spot, tie it on where you have pinched, trim the excess that's covering the hook shank

Davie mcphail is good to watch, and also in the riffle.

Yep - always trim from the hair side. You can try moving a bunch of hair around on the hide to try to get the tips to align before you cut it. Might want to look for a hair stacker if you do a lot of work with hair, otherwise there are hand stacking techniques. I also found that some hair (dyed bucktail in particular) was very hard to stack until I washed it. It seems like if the extra dye wasn't rinsed out completely the hair was tough to work with. Just make sure you dry it out completely again to avoid mold or mildew.

Davie McPhail is a classic. Love that accent.

Keep going. And go smaller as you get more comfy. I agree that this would work as a caddis imitation.

I love making flies up. When my son was very young I let him design a fly. He chose the material and color, and I just started tying. WE had one that had so many colors it was ridiculous. It was also out of proportion to any bug I've ever seen. I showed it to some friends for possibilities for a name. After much discussion, we settled on "the Hoar". (Actually the spelling was hore with a w, but this sight does not allow such words...OMG!!)

I've been tying flies for Gates Lodge on Michigan's Au Sable River for 25 years. Occasionally, I would tie a fly and show it to the former, and now deceased, owner to see if it warranted production in his shop. He was a stickler about flies he sold.They hand to be hand made by local fly tyers, and had to be tied perfectly. Occasionally, I would tie up a ridiculous "new" pattern, and would ask what he thought. One time, I tied an absurd looking purple and pink streamer. I showed it to him, trying not to laugh. He looked at it, looked up to me, turned his back and started doing something else. Wouldn't even respond. That day....I went to the Au Sable's South Branch and landed a very respectable brown trout on that ugly streamer. I took a picture of the fish, with that streamer clearly in its mouth, and emailed it to him when I got back to my cabin. Needless to say, I got no response from him at all.

Just have fun. It's a great pastime.

Edited by bigcreekdad

Thanks guys again

BCD, That Is a very funny story. LMAO Thanks for sharing it.

I knew today was not going to be a fishing day, so slept in. Now I have my cup of java, and am off to watch and tie for the day. Lets see what creations I can make.

And yes, I have been watching McPhail. He takes his time and shows step by step.

Oh I was warned about that head cement. I only made 7 flys and I can feel the effects of it. Crazy sh it that is. Think I might try crazy clue or maybe loc tite 747 or even that Gorilla super glue. Cement head is nasty. And yes, I had the window open right beside me.

Just playing around with some.

This is fun.

Bottom one with the tensile is crap, I over worked it I think or the peacock feather was not the one to use.

The beads are for making my walleye harnesses. They snapped right over the head of the hook eye.

WnJk10t.jpg?1

Will be heading down to Sail to stock up on some materials next weekend.

Edited by Misfish

Lol. It's called head cement for a reason. Loon has some products that are a bit less volatile.

Looks good so far. Hold a fly over a steaming kettle to fluff it back out again if you've over handled it.

Still feeling the effects of that stuff. Thanks for the heads up on the Loon. I,ll check it out. I have noticed that not all fly guys use that stuff. Those are all #8. I,ll be down sizing. I need to get magnifier glasses though. LOL

Edited by Misfish

I bet I bet could put some summer brookies in the boat with that bad boy. I understand the appeal, but I just don't think I'm anywhere near wanting to tie my own flies. At 2 bucks a pop, I'll gladly shell out for someone else's creation

Been going through some web sites looking at materials and prices. Also went and looked at completed ready to use flies. Im talking mass produced baits. Commercially made If I enjoy this as much as I am already, I win. To buy a quality bass popper, I can make 4, for the price of buying 1 ready made. Plus, I get to make it my way, not the store bought way. Im looking forward to this new hobby. Minus the head cement. I threw that bottle in the garbage. Nasty nasty stuff.

I very seldom use head cement. If your whip finish is good just leave it as is.

After today's experience BCD, I will perfect the whip, come hell or high water. But for now, the half hitch will have to do. Need to grow more patients. LOL

Edited by Misfish

Which brings me to another question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Can I use just common sewing thread for tying ? Not that the cost is an issue, just asking.

Also looks like I,ll be visiting the dollar store for my tinsel and other flashy color stuff.

Edited by Misfish

I've never used it, but seems sewing thread will work out fine. Depends on the size of the fly and the size of the thread I suppose. Actually, I've done the opposite....used fly tying thread to sew on buttons.

If you are thinking of ever tying commercial, I can assure you it ain't a way to get rich. I figure on an order of 300 flies, I might net the equivalent $8/hour. I do it for fun, and blow the little money I make on guide trips and fly gear.

i'll get the name off the head cement i use, it doesn't have that effect.

Michaels will become your friend for supplies, foam, embroidery thread (the multi strand stuff) is awesome for woven flies, and you can get a unique look and colour combos

your beads you're using are too big for those hooks, they should slide over the hook point and rest up against the hook eye, you shouldn't be able to pull or push them over the eye of the hook. hollow side of the bead faces towards the body of the fly

this is a very easy pattern, and pretty deadly for salmon and fall steelhead, its basically floss, marabou and flashabou wrapped around a spey hook
mJ7qGpt.jpg

Woven fly using embroidery thread(weaving isn't hard, just a bunch of overhand knots)

Hsal1z7.jpg

these are easy easy easy, and you know how good pink worms are
XfzoHlO.jpg

The first fly i ever tied

qOQR2ZJ.jpg

Cool thread....haha, get it, get it......

That pink worm is very cool FloatnFly, would you be willing to share details? The pink chenille is fairly obvious but I'm curious about the black 'blob' on the shank of the hank and the wrap. Thanks.

The 'blob' is a bead head, and it's just heals in place by extra thread wraps. Just adds a little weight to the fly and a bit of an attractant with the shiny bead