Fixing broken rod

captpierre

OOD magazine email has a video on fixing a rod broken in the middle.

Dont know how to post it here via my phone.

Buddy uses a wooden paint brush handle of the right size and epoxies it in.

Then epoxies braided line over top

Snapped my Muskie rod in the middle this fall.

Was prepared to buy a new one.

Maybe Ill try this.

Anybody have any success using this or other methods? Do they stand up to a good load?

I've had Fletcher just outside Owen sound fix a couple of busted float rods over the years. He uses an insert of some sort then wraps and epoxies the break. I'm not sure what he uses, but it's not wood. Anyway, it works but they never bend the same. Those are the rods my middle boy uses LOL. I

You can install a graphite or fiberglass stint along with some wraps to repair a rod, but it will never be the same again. You've created a stiff section that will result in a change in the action of the rod. A break near the bottom of the rod will result in more tip action and possibly a faster rod, a break near the top of the rod will result in less tip action and possibly a slower rod as the butt comes more into play.

Braided line and a paintbrush handle seems a bit MacGyver'd to me, it's not really that hard to do it properly.

I only fix I ever used was installing an old school metal ferrule at the break, but that was b4 a lot of you were born, can you even get them anymore ? Probably the bamboo flyrod builders would still need them.

You sure can. American Tackle makes a half decent cheap metal ferrule, for the price of a well made ferrule for a bamboo rod you'd probably just replace the graphite rod.

Do you have a collection of broken rods. You can use a doner piece.

As descripted it will make a dead spot. I always buy a new stick don't want to ruin a trip.

So I took your advice and used a donor piece that fit in nicely. Epoxied it in. About 6 inches past the 2 piece split towards the tip.

Used braided line to wrap around the repair.

Then epoxied over that 2 coats.

Let it sit over night.

Next day gave it a good work out whipping it back and forth.

The outside epoxy cracked in several places.

Inside repair? Dont know.

I guess its garbage.

Dont want to trust it with a good fish.

Will be looking at the Fishing Show for a new one.

Thanks everyone

Do you have a collection of broken rods. You can use a doner piece.

As descripted it will make a dead spot. I always buy a new stick don't want to ruin a trip.

So I took your advice and used a donor piece that fit in nicely. Epoxied it in. About 6 inches past the 2 piece split towards the tip.

Used braided line to wrap around the repair.

Then epoxied over that 2 coats.

Let it sit over night.

Next day gave it a good work out whipping it back and forth.

The outside epoxy cracked in several places.

Inside repair? Dont know.

I guess its garbage.

Dont want to trust it with a good fish.

Will be looking at the Fishing Show for a new one.

Thanks everyone

What type of epoxy did you use? Hardware store epoxy may not be flexible enough after curing to withstand the flexing of a rod without cracking. The real strength is from the thread (or braid in your case), not the epoxy - so you may still be ok as a beater rod.

No better reason to buy a new rod. How would it make you feel if you are about to land a new personal best and the rod breaks, again. Not very good I would imagine. With all the money we spend getting to the water, on the water and all the stuff to stay warm and dry and the many dollars in tackle why spoil it McGivering a broken tool. Kind of like using 10 year old mono and wondering why it broke. It's the only thing between you and your trophy. I have a dozen or more broken rods that I always intended on repairing and then decided it was foolish, plus I got a dozen new rods to break.

No better reason to buy a new rod. How would it make you feel if you are about to land a new personal best and the rod breaks, again. Not very good I would imagine. With all the money we spend getting to the water, on the water and all the stuff to stay warm and dry and the many dollars in tackle why spoil it McGivering a broken tool. Kind of like using 10 year old mono and wondering why it broke. It's the only thing between you and your trophy. I have a dozen or more broken rods that I always intended on repairing and then decided it was foolish, plus I got a dozen new rods to break.

Well said.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few sticks that broke and I use the donor rod piece fit snug with about 2 inches on each side - so 4 inches

in total.   I use the flexible rod wrap epoxy and regular rod wrap thread.  let it sit over night and it looks good.

I have one rod that I use as my main rod and it has lasted over 10 years.  I also have an 13 foot G loomis IMX that

I fixed this way and I have had no issues.  I find this method only works for beefy sections of the rod like the butt or

up to the mid section of the rod.   I tried this repair on a tip section and it snapped below the repair section the next

day.  

another option is to use the tip section and make some ice rods.  I have one that I made which is my go to rod.  

have turned top sections of flioat rods into some nice ultra light rods as well.   if you want to be cheap, you can

cut just above the old handle and stick the top section in it to create an ice rod or smaller UL rod.