Hwy 400 Accident

captpierre

Never think as a pedestrian I have the right-away, look 10 ways before you walk ANYWHERE.

See it all the time people will walk across on a walk sign and not look for traffic. NEVER NEVER think the other guy see's you,

Be a responsible pedestrian, you may want to fish tomorrow.

And remember while walking, driving and in company of others TURN THAT DAM CEL PHONE OFF. Remember the MANNERS thing.

If the excuse is I need it for an emergence, leave it in your trunk.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Maybe its time for dedicated truck lanes on the 400 series hiways. We dont drive our cars on railway tracks and that is whats become of our hiways. What the heck we have dedicated lanes for everything else

we already have that, trucks are not allowed in the left lane...i would argue it should be pushed further to only allow them in the right lane. The best thing that could happen is just full automation of that industry. Give it a few years and there wont be such thing as a truck driver and that will end the debate.

Times are changing, my bold prediction for 20 years from now? You wont be able to drive cars for pleasure unless its on the weekend on a certain roads aka not 400 series highways and the like.

The idea of "commuting" to work an office job aside from important meetings will be non existent. We already have the technology and its not even expensive, in fact its free at this point to work from your home. The internet has only really been fully effective for 30 years, the pardigm shift will happen where people realize that using energy to drive a disposable car to a place far away to sit on a computer all day and then sit in traffic on the way home will be completely gone.

All you need to do is look at some of the top companies in the world and see how their office environment is changing. Deloitte in Toronto no longer has assigned seating, the entire main office is now "booked" on a day to day basis. Great West life now has a work from home 2 days a week policy...i wouldn't be surprised to see that increase as well. My company needed more space for "additional employees" the board said hell no, make people work from their homes.

Transporting goods from point A to point B does not need human intervention what so ever except maybe at the location of departure and delivery. The future of "truck drivers" will be to simply park the things once they arrive at their destination.

The world runs on efficiency...if cost and resource savings can be found while also making something safer, there is absolutely 0 chance that it doesn't come into effect.

I believe that like anything there are good and bad truck operators. The biggest challenge is keeping the guys awake for the extended periods of driving that they are required to do. No one is immune to that. They already know that this guy was working 3 jobs to support 9 kids...no one is immune to becoming tired, subsequently accidents happen.

I got side swiped by a transport truck on the 400 during a snow squall near mount st louis, the truck driver hit and ran me...I honestly dont feel a lot of sympathy for the guys, he had his own personal reasons for doing what he did. I am sure his very livelihood was on the line. He was in a hurry to meet a deadline imposed on him by his company, so he and two other truck drivers im sure communicated with one another to pass the conga line of cars slowly working their way through a complete night time white out....that decision caused the one truck driver to lose control of his truck and nearly kill me and 3 other occupants of my car, he then subsequently didnt stop because he knew that he would lose his job if he did.

Automation is the only answer.

Maybe its time for dedicated truck lanes on the 400 series hiways. We dont drive our cars on railway tracks and that is whats become of our hiways. What the heck we have dedicated lanes for everything else

I have driven all over north america, and never had issue with truck drivers. I don't mind at all sharing the roads with them.

I have driven all over north america, and never had issue with truck drivers. I don't mind at all sharing the roads with them.

I have had issues with truckers huzzsaba, but not as many as aggressive automobile drivers in the last 25 years. There was a day when cars and trucks on highways worked together. I have been driving mostly the I-75, I-90 or I-95 since the early 70's. There was a time a flick of the lights and you would let a big rig enter or pass, then the driver would flash all his marker light in thanks, the same went the other way. I really believe there will as much gridlock in 20 years as now. The more super highways they build the more traffic, the more traffic the more super highways they will build. North America is not a "commuter" society. When people from Europe visit here they are astounded by the automobile traffic we have. They too have gridlock, drive in London or Rome but most are on scooters and the balance is commercial traffic. You commute to work by rail, bus, bike or scooter, the car, if you have one, is for weekend drives or Holidays. Most often never to get to work and back.

Insurance rates and licencing fees in some nations are based on miles a year you are driven. The more you drive the more you pay. Crazy idea eh?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have had issues with truckers huzzsaba, but not as many as aggressive automobile drivers in the last 25 years. There was a day when cars and trucks on highways worked together. I have been driving mostly the I-75, I-90 or I-95 since the early 70's. There was a time a flick of the lights and you would let a big rig enter or pass, then the driver would flash all his marker light in thanks, the same went the other way. I really believe there will as much gridlock in 20 years as now. The more super highways they build the more traffic, the more traffic the more super highways they will build. North America is not a "commuter" society. When people from Europe visit here they are astounded by the automobile traffic we have. They too have gridlock, drive in London or Rome but most are on scooters and the balance is commercial traffic. You commute to work by rail, bus, bike or scooter, the car, if you have one, is for weekend drives or Holidays. Most often never to get to work and back.

Insurance rates and licencing fees in some nations are based on miles a year you are driven. The more you drive the more you pay. Crazy idea eh?

That truck driver comradery is still well and alive today. I see it all the time (Flashing their lights to let the other driver know he's clear, flashing the 4 ways to say thanks, etc).. We are definitely a commuter society, more then anyone else I think. We just aren't taking trains, or the subway or any other form of public transit because we're so spread out. To be honest I dunno if I'd change that. The thought of being rammed into a subway everyday like a heard of cattle isn't very appealing, lol

I dont do trucking now but i got my AZ license about 10 years ago. Heres a funny story i heard when i was in school. Not sure exactly when it happened thou. Some truckers never stop there truck. You lose money that way. Well this team of long haul drivers had to bring there truck in to get repaired. When they got to the shop and the tech got under the truck there was crap all over everything. Apparently these two drivers cut a hole through there drivers seat so they wouldnt have to stop the truck to go to the washroom lol.

I agree with you OI. I always communicate my best with truck drivers around me by a quick flash of the lights, and flashers for a thank you. I honestly dont drive as much anymore on the highways since my parents moved to Alberta from Montreal. but whenever I do get on the highway now in the city, its pretty crazy. People driving crazy, or too slow in the fast lanes.

My insurance has been steadily going up every year, and its not due to tickets on my part, thankfully. When I ask why, its always the same story of more claims made in the last year in our zone :wallbash: .

Seems like you try to save money in one place, but don't really save anything because its comes back to bite you from elsewhere.

Edited by huzzsaba

My insurance has been steadily going up every year, and its not due to tickets on my part, thankfully. When I ask why, its always the same story of more claims made in the last year in our zone :wallbash: .

Then they should charge those causing the accidents much more and leave us normal respecting drivers alone.

Then they should charge those causing the accidents much more and leave us normal respecting drivers alone.

Oh they do Fisherman, the rates rise for accident prone drivers until they just can't pay any longer. Then they drive without a licence and insurance so good drivers have to make up the difference as to not effect the profit margins. When was the last time you heard of a Insurance company going broke in Ontario a bank, or a credit union?

I have a fishing buddy from Westmeath On. that we finally talked into driving to Hamilton in the early 90's. He had never been on a 400 series highway. We were expecting him in the early afternoon, 7.5 hrs from Hamilton. 3 becomes 4 and now it's 7PM and no Emil. Phone rings about 8 and it's him. Ask if he's lost because we were worried. He says he has been home since around 10 in the morning. He got off 41 onto the 401, took the next exit and headed towards 7 east to 41. That was his first and last time on the 401. He eventually made it to Hamilton when his son drove him and that was taking hwy 7 west all the way. Took something like 13 hours.

Crazy!

Also, the cutting holes in the seats is probably not true, or maybe it is?

In Albert they used buckets lol.

Also, if anyone thinks Ontario drivers are horrible, please visit the Alberta oilfields.

I've seen drivers literally fight for who's in line first and even a guy stabbed to death for cutting in line

1 hour ago, Knuguy said:

I read that account a few days ago and then I read somewhere else that it was false--"fake news". Don't know what to believe.

We will only hear one side of the story now, the tanker truck will never be heard now. I doubt it was his fault either way. There are so many idiots on the roads, its ridiculous. 

S.