Hamilton Harbour Wally

japper

lots of big ones in there, big pike too, got a 15 lb last weekend. Wasn’t really fishing for them though, trying to see if any Trout were in yet. And yes, it’s still swimming in the bay...... (although the Ontario guide to eating fish says you can indeed eat em)

this is great to see!

it always amazed me that Lake O wasnt like the others, now i sometimes wish i had a boat down here as well...wait till the smallies really make a full come back around Toronto. I know theres some excellent largie and pike fishing in around the islands...itd be wicked to have lake erie style fishing right here in the city.

The salmon/trout guys probably think im crazy.

Edited by AKRISONER

congrats on the Walleye!

My question, why would they stock the hamilton harbour and not elsewhere? Walleye are probably the most sought after for eating, they should stock them in less toxic environment. Would be nice to fish for them from the local piers.

I don't care what the guide says DO NOT EAT ANYTHING FROM THE BAY. Research Randle Reef.

I did the guide for a few years! OI is right don’t even touch it never mind eating it! It was a waste of money producing it! Promote CAR instead, we even did brochures in other languages.

I don’t think they print it anymore.

congrats on the Walleye!

My question, why would they stock the hamilton harbour and not elsewhere? Walleye are probably the most sought after for eating, they should stock them in less toxic environment. Would be nice to fish for them from the local piers.

Thery have spent millions to clean up Hamilton Harbour. They stocked over 50000 walleye on 2012. They wanted to see if they would stay & grow. They have, in big numbers, now they want to see if they will reproduce in the Harbour.

There are only so many fish available for stocking. If they are spread the around the entire lake then they would be too spread out to create any fishery of note. By putting them in one spot, they can create a local fishery. Despite it's reputation, Hamilton Harbour does have good habitat to support walleye reproduction.

Going forward, they will stock Toronto in odd numbered years (100,000 in 2017) and Hamilton in even numbered years. Perhaps they will eventually establish fisheries around the lake.

Edited by JohnBacon

They may have used the Walleye as a Litmus test to ascertain true water quality in the Bay. It may have backfired, we know there will be some people that will eat them.

It didnt backfire, walleye are doing well. Its actually become a very good fishery.

It didnt backfire, walleye are doing well. Its actually become a very good fishery.

Backfire in as far as some people will consider if there are Walleye there they must be edible. I know there are some that will eat them regardless of warnings and the eating guides provided by the Ministry. A fish here and there won't kill you but if you knew what was dumped in there up to the late 70's you wouldn't even wade in that water at Pier 4. I fell in once when working as a weekend student in the early 70's (don't ask). It took a few seconds before I broke through the crud on the surface at the East Side Lagoon at Stelco. I looked like the Creature of the Black Lagoon when I was pulled out, black from head to toe covered in who knows what. The hospital treated me like I was in a Nuclear fallout accident. I spend 2 nights in the General. Which was a good thing I suppose, scared the Bejeezus out of me actually so I am somewhat weary of that water. Back then it was control pollution by dilution.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Backfire in as far as some people will consider if there are Walleye there they must be edible. I know there are some that will eat them regardless of warnings and the eating guides provided by the Ministry. A fish here and there won't kill you but if you knew what was dumped in there up to the late 70's you wouldn't even wade in that water at Pier 4. I fell in once when working as a weekend student in the early 70's (don't ask). It took a few seconds before I broke through the crud on the surface at the East Side Lagoon at Stelco. I looked like the Creature of the Black Lagoon when I was pulled out, black from head to toe covered in who knows what. The hospital treated me like I was in a Nuclear fallout accident. I spend 2 nights in the General. Which was a good thing I suppose, scared the Bejeezus out of me actually so I am somewhat weary of that water. Back then it was control pollution by dilution.

unfortunately Iron...in line with the thought process of the time...if you didnt immediately get sick they think you are fine. The carcinogens in the harbour take years to manifest and kill a person. Im sure your limited exposure is fine, but the ridiculous amount of biomagnification especially for a preditorial fish like a walleye...sheesh, they should have selected something a little less edible.

I can just see it now...the white bucket brigade has a hayday down there and starts spreading the poison through the entire community at the market. Jeebus. Fresh caught white fish!