Anyone own one of these Kodi boxes?

DRIFTER_016

12 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

^^^ Thanks Dave...I'll add this on tonight. BTW, do you use a VPN at home? 

No, but probably should. My wife got a couple of " The Letters " when she used to torrent a whole season of one of her shows from Pirate Bay or TorrentZ,  we been using Kodi to watch back episodes of stuff we missed when we had a life for 3 years now without a threatening letter. We tried going legal with Crave and Netflix but they are limited in what you can access compared to Kodi.

Same situation here. I work from home and connect remotely to our office servers by VPN, The thought of using another VPN connection kind of scares me! If it works, don't monkey with it! lol 

Kodi has been a pita the last year. It seems they start up an addon, run it for 3-6 months and shut it down, just to start another one. 

I have had a few media boxes over the years.  One of the boxes I currently have is an Amazon purchase of the Android kind (like an Android smart phone) and it has the Kodi App.  So it's more than just a Kodi box ... but I use Kodi the most because it is so good (I've been using it since its original creation years ago when it  was XBMC).

Because my Android media box is pretty much like an Android phone, I can go to the App store and install Apps.  I have an annual subscription to Private Internet Access VPN.  I use that on my desktop computer.  On my Android media box I installed their App and typed in my credentials and BAM ... I have a private connection to one of their U.S. east coast servers.  That works to give me access to the U.S. only shows that can be accessed either through a Kodi plug-in/add-on .... or by installing an IPTV App in the App store.  Because I have a very poor rural DSL connection, I don't have the throughput for the VPN of TV shows to work.  They don't scale well to a slow connection.  I more=or-less installed the VPN and those Apps to see if they would work.  Too bad, because I could get stations I don't get on our Satellite subscription plus free-to-air sations.  Oh well.

So I use the Kodi App to play video off my shared computers hard drive (works great for that) or the Netflix App (which scales great for my poor connection). Works well for the $60 I paid for it.  LINK -> http://amzn.to/2rsNHDe

Edited by AdamWoodhouse

The Kodi add-ons have taken a beating lately...a lot of the developers got scared when the letters started going around.

Right now I primarily use the Terrarium TV APK for TV shows and Movies works very good and you can use a Debrid account with it. 

There is a new add-on called Cerebro which is a fork of Covenant and it looks promising and another one called Placenta ( god awful name) it works pretty well.

As it stands now I use Terrarium about 75% of the time...For live hockey I use a paid service cost 20 bucks for the year including playoffs and I have access to every game!

feel free to discuss the boxes but please do not give information that is illegal. Remember OFC archives all of the information submitted and will cooperate with any warrant request for information that is legally served. 

Thank you

Art

Drifter, processor speaking, you wont find a better box than the Nvidia Shield TV. Its the only REAL Android box out there that will actually update KODI on its own properly. It is pricier than any box out there, but spend the money once, and wisely.

Ive had mine going on 2 years now. Flawless as it was on day one. Do the research, youll thank me for it! 

Ive tested quite a few boxes out there. None touch this one.      ENJOY!!!

On 1/25/2018 at 5:24 PM, aplumma said:

feel free to discuss the boxes but please do not give information that is illegal. Remember OFC archives all of the information submitted and will cooperate with any warrant request for information that is legally served. 

Thank you

Art

Ya bunch of criminals...........................

:lol:

• 7 months later...
On 1/24/2018 at 1:03 AM, lookinforwalleye said:

The Kodi add-ons have taken a beating lately...a lot of the developers got scared when the letters started going around.

Right now I primarily use the Terrarium TV APK for TV shows and Movies works very good and you can use a Debrid account with it. 

There is a new add-on called Cerebro which is a fork of Covenant and it looks promising and another one called Placenta ( god awful name) it works pretty well.

As it stands now I use Terrarium about 75% of the time...For live hockey I use a paid service cost 20 bucks for the year including playoffs and I have access to every game!

Any suggestions now that Terrarium is DOA, I got tired of constantly maintaining Kodi on a PC and switched to an android box a while back,  Terrarium was a hundred times better than any Kodi addon, but now sadly it appears to be gone. 

On 11/4/2017 at 11:46 AM, smitty55 said:

Yea right, sure. Tell that to all the people and companies who have been fined or worse for copyright infringement.

Or worse? The maximum penalty for copyright infringement is $5000 and only applies if you've financially benefited from pirating. 

Plus internet providers will throttle traffic from torrent sites.

Some do, some don't. As of this year, Cogeco and Bell don't. Those are the two largest ISPs in Canada. It may vary regionally. 

Plus they can forced to release any data they have on anyone's traffic. 

Absolutely false, unless they launch a lawsuit, which never happens.

The best protection you can have is a vpn, that way no one can see what data is in the packets as it is encapsulated and encrypted. There is a good reason many companies also use them to hide data from prying eyes and allow remote users to safely access local intranet.

The average user will end up using a free VPN that is packed with malware. Here's a study that found 75% of free VPNs are tracking you; https://research.csiro.au/ng/wp-content/uploads/sites/106/2016/08/paper-1.pdf

57 minutes ago, misfish said:

Who da thunk it. Clicked on APPS. I gotz dat in ma box.

I see that one too. Got the box preloaded along with a IPTV service just a few weeks ago. Terrarium  was recommended by the IPTV guy and never looked at any of the other stuff. Really not up to speed on these boxes yet, I'll be seeing him sunday and see what he has to say. Bunch of other stuff I see if I click on apps, have to explore.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, dave524 said:

The patch /  work around for Terrarium worked till Friday and then gone for good. My IPTV guy set the box up with " Movie Box Red "  seems to be a Terrarium clone and works great so far.

Your IPTV guy did not do you any favors believe me apparently that was available on Google Playstore, some people are saying Google shut it down and came right to their device to do it......TTV still works there is a work around, I had mine back up and running in 10 minutes....There have been lots of changes in the past few days and there have been numerous updates/clones come out, there is one called EU TV that is showing a lot of promise.

1 hour ago, lookinforwalleye said:

Your IPTV guy did not do you any favors believe me apparently that was available on Google Playstore, some people are saying Google shut it down and came right to their device to do it......TTV still works there is a work around, I had mine back up and running in 10 minutes....There have been lots of changes in the past few days and there have been numerous updates/clones come out, there is one called EU TV that is showing a lot of promise.

OK, I'm sure he may come up with something better after the dust settles with the shake up of Terrarium going down. All I know is my wife can watch her shows again  and I get some peace and quiet. I dealt with Kodi for 4 years and a new greatest addon  every 3 or 4 months , only to have the developer walk away to have it slowly self destruct,  done with that and all the frustration, for the price of a 6 pack a month  I'm happy with letting him maintain the box. This works for now, wife is happy, I'm happy ?

• 1 month later...

Morpheus has been pretty good. It has it,s moments, but going strong. All I have been using for tv shows and movies. I have been finding out that the ones with the best quality are used by many and gets lag. SD works just as good most times and less users.

• 1 month later...