Tick Season. Beware

captpierre

Just a reminder to everybody.

Its peak tick season.

Leaf litter, taller grass, woods are potential areas where ticks lay waiting for something to feed on

Ive seen several on dogs at the clinic.

Cover up and do a thorough tick check at the end of every day that youve been in tick country.

Remember you wont feel the tick bite. Or feel it attached to you for up to a week.

Carefully remove any ticks when theyre small and havent been attached for more than a day.

Lyme disease requires the tick to be attached for 24-30 hrs. Use tweezers or needle nose pliers. Or tick lifters. Dont use your fingers or youll squeeze the gut contents of the tick into you or your dog. Grab by the head next to your skin.

Be tick smart till freeze up

They are active in temps above 4 C

Cheers.

Good message. I've been bit twice this year (belly and below armpit), luckily both times I noticed the ticks and removed them before the "bulls eye" rash started. First time I went for a blood test (negative for Lyme), second time I didn't bother. Lots of ticks in north Durham where I am. 99% of the time in the bush I have long pants and boots on and brush myself & the dog off before getting into the truck. You can bring them in on your clothes or on the dog and then they jump on your skin and move around to find a feeding site.