Fall Brown trout help

Acountdeleted

It looks like, finally after years, this weekend I'm going to be able to hit up a fall brown trout hole I have had scouted for some time now on lake O. The only problem is, I have no idea what the buggers eat.

It'll be a costal spot, no river or stream flow and I can't fly fish to save my life. Any advice on lures, colours or presentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Maybe a bit early for fall brownies but whatever pier chucking gear you have will work just fine.

Thanks. What time of year works well? (also since I have your attention) what time of year would you recommend for splake? Is it similar. Another lake I've wanted to hit up I might make some time for in November.

Small heavy spoons chucked or trolled, my preferred spoon would be a copper color trolling and ticking bottom near shore in the fall.

Was out yesterday off 50 PT. and nada, water is still warm, that SW wind yesterday was brutal. I did notice the minnows are in the marina.

Browns were scarce this year around 50 PT. :worthy::whistling::dunno:

cleos in the hammered finished have caught many fall browns for me,just toss them off the pier. I have also had some success blowing up dew worms with an egg sinker as well as roe bags with floaters. If you want to fish up the river try drifting worms or roe bags in pools , log jams or undercut banks and don't forget to fish the tailouts and riffles of deep pools especially on cool mornings.

Edited by bowslayer

In Port Dalhousie I had god luck with medium or large size hammered Little Cleos - chrome with blue or green stripes. In windy days I use chrome Kastmasters or their clones.
Using spoons is not easy way to get a brown there but it more professional way of fishing.

All novice anglers there use bottom row-bag or strimmer bottom bouncing techniques.

Edited by spyder3g

In Port Dalhousie I had god luck with medium or large size hammered Little Cleos - chrome with blue or green stripes. In windy days I use chrome Kastmasters or their clones.

Using spoons is not easy way to get a brown there but it more professional way of fishing.

All novice anglers there use bottom row-bag or strimmer bottom bouncing techniques.

You're opening a big can of worms with your comments. I know guys that have been fishing for 60years and their preferred method is bottom bouncing a big juicy night crawler. And you know what, they out fish everyone. So saying that one method is more professional while another is for novice fisherman, is pure Bull and highlights everything that is wrong about elitist attitudes. Anyone can chuck a spoon a have success, the roe baggers, worm bottom bouncers, fly fisherman, they are successful because they learn to read the river and place their presentation in a spot with the highest success rates, not randomly chuck a spoon and hope for the best

I could say that my chosen method of fishing is more professional than all else, but it's not, we're all equal, we have a common goal. One method will outnshine others on a given day, and you are either forced to switched up, or face a skunk. That's the beauty of fishing.

You're opening a big can of worms with your comments. I know guys that have been fishing for 60years and their preferred method is bottom bouncing a big juicy night crawler. And you know what, they out fish everyone. So saying that one method is more professional while another is for novice fisherman, is pure Bull and highlights everything that is wrong about elitist attitudes. Anyone can chuck a spoon a have success, the roe baggers, worm bottom bouncers, fly fisherman, they are successful because they learn to read the river and place their presentation in a spot with the highest success rates, not randomly chuck a spoon and hope for the best

I could say that my chosen method of fishing is more professional than all else, but it's not, we're all equal, we have a common goal. One method will outnshine others on a given day, and you are either forced to switched up, or face a skunk. That's the beauty of fishing.

:good:

Let's nip this in the bud right now. Any method that catches fish is an expert level of fishing. If a kid with a hook and worm can outfish me using topwater or my buddy fly fishing, then the kid did the most expert level of fishing for that day because he knew what the fish would be interested in.

I feel like after that it's just what you prefer using. My best example of this is for ice fishing I prefer active fishing over tip ups. There are days I see people catching way more fish on tip ups but I prefer reeling the fish in. But no one method is more expert then another. It's all just preference.

Unless your method is to foul hook fish........ because that's illigal.