Kawarthas Muskie Hunt this Weekend - Recommendations?

KraTToR

I sent you a PM just got back from a Oct 1 -8 trip we fished Balsam , Pigeon and Sturgeon and you are right Sturgeon was the best Lake for numbers and size . There were 3 different groups of people fishing Sturgeon around that week all did pretty good . If you want some help send me a email .

I fish all those lakes, a lot, and honestly, they are all pretty much the same. If conditions are right, you will catch fish in any of them. If I were going musky fishing this weekend, I'd fish the east end of scugog, or pigeon. If you are more familiar with one lake over another, I'd stick with the ones you know best, they will all produce.

S.

Yea Rizzo, I'm working out near Bowmanville right now so Kawarthas are the ticket.

Thanks everyone, yes its def. a box of chocolates..lol

I'm think Sturgeon Saturday and if it produces I'll go back Sunday. If not, maybe Pigeon, Gannon's Narrows does produce from time to time.

lots of people had this idea. Never seen so many boats on Sturgeon all fishing for musky. Was a crowded lake for Musky this Saturday, the east end had boats everywhere all look like they were musky fishing.

Yea Rizzo, I'm working out near Bowmanville right now so Kawarthas are the ticket.

Thanks everyone, yes its def. a box of chocolates..lol

I'm think Sturgeon Saturday and if it produces I'll go back Sunday. If not, maybe Pigeon, Gannon's Narrows does produce from time to time.

lots of people had this idea. Never seen so many boats on Sturgeon all fishing for musky. Was a crowded lake for Musky this Saturday, the east end had boats everywhere all look like they were musky fishing.

Because.....internet.

I'll admit, I fished Sturgeon for the first time last weekend for the simple fact it's been talked up online recently. Just saying.....not trying to ruffle any feathers, I didn't find the traffic a big hindrance. Caught some fish and had a good time :)

Josh

Edited by J Roelofsen

Heading back out to Sturg. today. Yesterday - saturday a buddy and myself caught 6, boated 4, and had several other hits and swirls. Two were mid 40's others were around 38 to 42.

I guess that's why there a ton of boats out there...lol

I thought naming lakes wasn't allowed here.

Sturg has been getting POUNDED this year. More than I've ever seen. Opener was a joke. Seems like everyone is a musky fisherman now. I remember when people thought I was crazy to fish for musky. I liked that.

I just hope these "musky pro's" are taking good care of the fish. I have seen a lot of dead floaters out there, and some of them beautiful, big fish.

S.

IMO musky fishing is the next species that's gonna be seeing a BIG increase in interest. Steelhead happened about 5yrs ago, seems like everyone and their brother bought a centerpin and became a prostaffer for one company or another. It's gotten pretty bad in spots, to the point I've pretty well lost interest in several rivers I once enjoyed fishing.

IG and FB makes everything a competition and everyone a hero.....everyone is out to post more pics of more and bigger fish of a larger variety than the next guy. The fish unfortunately are on the losing end with horrible ethics and mishandling running rampant amongst the relatively uneducated newbs.

Josh

Edited by J Roelofsen

Well I went against my advice and fished Pigeon on Sunday. I didn't get the boat out to go to another lake so we settled on Pigeon. Fished from 9am -4pm. Never saw or had a hit from a muskie. We used surface baits, cranks, jigs and numerous types of spinners. I did get a largemouth on a spinner though. LOL