Mystery Tackle Box Questions

smithy97

Hey all - wondering if anyone is a subscriber to MTB? I'm looking into it, and wondering if it'll be worth it with the USD exchange rate right now. I see that they ship for free to Canada so that helps. If you have it, are you happy with it? Is it worth the $25 US per month?

Thanks!

I gave it to my son a few years ago for Christmas (he was approx 12yrs old). He really enjoyed getting monthly mail and the surprise of new tackle to add to his tackle box. It exposed him and me to new types of lures and presentation. A 6 month subscription was enough. Typically 1/2 the stuff was junk and 1/2 was good. But to go and purchase just the good would have probably cost less.

But watch out! It turns out they 'auto renew' the subscription for another 6 months should you not opt out of the program. So I had an unexpected charge on my credit card 6 months after I initiated the subscription and it was for another 6 months!! I immediately signed on my account on their website and changed it to not auto-renew. It was a costly mistake but he got more stuff (some duplicates) which then went to my tackle box. :)

For someone starting out or doesn't have much in the line of gear, it can be fun.

Edited by AdamW

I don't have a subscription simply for the fact that I already know what I like and I buy new stuff to try all of the time. I view these types of subscriptions as great for 1, new people who are just getting into fishing or 2, people who like the idea of trying new stuff that they typically would not buy.

If you already know what you like or how you like fishing, I do not see this as something that would benefit you.

Yeah, I'm too specific on what I use for a program like that. Even now, ever winter I do a purge of the "it was worth a try" lures.

I left that phase about 3 years ago. I know what works for ME, so it's very rare I buy new lures anymore.

Occasionally yes. But I pretty much only replace lures now.

I'd never subscribe to these boxes

My wife got me the $25 one for my birthday a while ago, I've got three boxes so far, and they've been fun for me. I'm kind of a one trick pony when it comes to fishing, I've got maybe 3-4 go-tos that seem to work for me, so I really never buy new lures. This is a cool way for me to try some new stuff that I wouldn't normally buy, and likely I will still stick to these old tried and true methods, but its nice to get some more stuff for options when the bite gets slow.

More importantly its very fun to get a box of lures every month. :)

Good info everyone - thanks for the help. I am pretty fussy on the lures I buy, so this may not be for be.

Yup, I wouldn't recommend it for you.

Also you can go on youtube to watch unboxings for the past few months to see what items were available.

I did MTB before and I enjoyed their service, Now I just buy items that work for me.