Rapala Shadow Rap.....what a piece of junk!

b_cdot

Cracked a shadow rap outta the box yesterday first fish 3 cast later straightened a treble vmc hooks junk time for triple grips like the rest of my raps changed up to clown x rap lost all the paint just one of those days

I dont even want to start with the cheap trebles they put on em.....wow

I live in oshawa and a friend of mine from kingston when i was visiting him gave me a reel to take to normark that had broken. I went there explained the problem and they fixed it in 15 min no charge (10 year old reel).. thats sevice.

vance

I still have a dozen or so 35 year old balsa wood floating Rappala's, everyone just happens to be black on glitter silver. Some are intact that need new hardware and some have been eaten until the paint is gone or crushed by big Pike and the heads are bent or lips broken off. They must have a wire inside them. Need to do an autopsy on a cold winters day. They worked then and still work today. Like they say most new tackle they come out with every year catches as many fishermen as fish.

Yeah, on those older Rapalas, the loop that you tie to and all of the loops where the hooks are attached are just one piece of wire running all the way along the bottom and part way along the top.

I had so much trouble with other plastic rapalas like the Shad and the X-rap that I refuse to buy any of their plastic product. I will continue to buy their wooden plugs. They have never failed me. Of course I rarely need to replace those as they seem to last forever.

^ lucky craft have been good for me....but I know some ppl who have had them take on water also...

I have had good luck with them as well. Great bait.

Just surprised at the fine cable breaking.

Edited by Misfish

At least rapalas run true in current. The 6 or so lucky craft cranks I have all run sideways, so they rarely get used.

One thing I love about rapalas is everyone I have runs true In current.

Can't say the same for lucky craft, strike king, or live target.

Are they untuneable? I've had some cranks that were very fussy with the slightest bend in the eye. Tough to find the sweet spot in some baits

Last time out fishing my buddy and I were talking about how many rapala cranks we had and how few fish we catch on them. I have luck on the shad rap and some older wooden models, but that's it. LOL

The same with reef runners, I went out a few years back when we were fishing Quinte often and bought a bunch because everyone raved about reef runners. I have not caught a fish on a reef runner. :-(

The rapala price sure doesn't make them attractive and either do these reports.

I have 3 Shadow Rap Shads. All 3 slowly sink, not rise. I'm using 20lb braid with about 3 feet of 20lb fluoro leader and the front hook removed to try to get these things to rise...no luck

I presume it's the line. Is there a max line weight for these things or what's the deal?

Edited by SaugaPikeSlayer

I have 3 Shadow Rap Shads. All 3 slowly sink, not rise. I'm using 20lb braid with about 3 feet of 20lb fluoro leader and the front hook removed to try to get these things to rise...no luck

I presume it's the line. Is there a max line weight for these things or what's the deal?

Using mono line may help.