Advice please on purchasing gas generator.

Old Ironmaker

I have never owned a generator, used a generator or seen one used. We are in the market because my wife says so, she's much more intelligent and practical than I. Calling for a brutal winter and power outages here because of conditions are a regular occurrence. Luckily we have NG and if power goes out the fireplace comes on automatically and we can cook too. I'm getting too old to haul water and everything that goes with a power outage.

I'm not looking for the top of the line NG whole house generator like my neighbours have. A basic unit, electric start would be very nice. Brand names like Honda don't sway my buying habits, most like many consumer goods today they have short shelf lives. Even in the days gone by I have had high end luxury European cars (Benz, BMW, Audi, Alpha Romeo amongst them that fell apart and rotted before a Chevy would.

1) We need to power the NG forced air furnace. I will need to look at what powers the thermostat and be sure it gets juice too.

2) The combo fridge freezer needs power.

3) A few curcuits of 110 for lights, etc.

That's all I think we need.

What do you have that meets my needs and what do I expect to pay for something like this? I have never priced these things. I would like to have something that can be portable, plug in an exterior wall to feed the breaker panel. How does that work? Going in blind here.

Thanks ahead of time. The group of people we have here have so much experience in so many areas besides fishing it is my go to source for good solid advice I can believe and trust. Not like many forums out there where people actually get a kick out of giving "bad" advice as "good".

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I bought one after that last ice.

storm. I’ve never used it! has never started. It’a Champion 5000. Or so.

The connection I looked into running the wire from the box with and outlet and the extension to the genie was about 250 + installation which would be free for me . . .I’m buying from a cousin’s electrical supply. It may be more I needed 59 feet of wire from box to outlet.

Good luck.

What you mentioned can be handled by 110/120 volt generator.

But you also mentioned hauling water?

Are you in a rural setting? Very many water pumps for wells require 220 volts.

Yes Woodsmen forgot that. But my shallow well pump is 110, I know that because there is a switch that selects 110 or 220, maybe 115 and mine is 110 for sure. Learned about that 21 years ago. I thought water just happened when you turn on the tap, citiots for the 1st 45 years, still am according to my rural pals

I bought one after that last ice.

storm. I’ve never used it! has never started. It’a Champion 5000. Or so.

The connection I looked into running the wire from the box with and outlet and the extension to the genie was about 250 + installation which would be free for me . . .I’m buying from a cousin’s electrical supply. It may be more I needed 59 feet of wire from box to outlet.

Good luck.

I should be good there, we have a electrician nephew that loves fishing.

Ketchin, Fratello mio, I hope I never have to use it. Contingencies are good but you never want to have to use them. But as soon as I forget to put my trailer jack in the truck I get a flat on the boat trailer, for sure.

Already good advice, 3 replies in 10 minutes.

you may want to check out inverter generators, a little more pricey but alot more quiet and efficent, you can also power sensitive electrical gear such as laptops,charge smartphones,power smart appliances .. I have a honda 2000ui inverter and it would do what you want. I have had it for 5 years and it has seen some descent use and still runs and starts like new. Yamaha also makes great inverter gennies.

Unless he is mechanically inclined to do a bit of maintenance, he would probably be better off with a NG genny, no gas to store or run every now and then. Honda does have electric start conversion units, propane or NG with warranties. I would probably go with a 3K, propane/NG puts out a little less power than regular gas. Start up draw on motor units such as furnace and water pumps may well over power a 2k unit.(known from experience.) http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda_propane_modified_generators.htm

Edited by Fisherman

My neighbour installed a pony panel in his basement and wired in the circuits from the main panel he needed to run in case of a power outage. There is a 220V receptacle on the outside of the house to plug the genny into. Your nephew will be able to do that for you no problem. Then just get it certified.

As for generators I agree with others. Stick with Honda or Yamaha and paying extra for an inverter model is well worth it, as just about anything now has electronic circuitry.

Cheers

I have been asking locals as well today, it looks like the Hondas, Yammys and NG's Gentec (sic) are the best but big bucks. I don't know if I want to spend the extra $$ since we plan on relocating next spring to civilization.

A portable entry level (cheaper not cheap) gas portable unit is all I am looking for. Princess Auto has a few, anyone have one?

My neighbour installed a pony panel in his basement and wired in the circuits from the main panel he needed to run in case of a power outage. There is a 220V receptacle on the outside of the house to plug the genny into. Your nephew will be able to do that for you no problem. Then just get it certified.

As for generators I agree with others. Stick with Honda or Yamaha and paying extra for an inverter model is well worth it, as just about anything now has electronic circuitry.

Cheers

This is what I have since 2006 and it works great.......the big fuse panel has a top main breaker where I get electric from the grid or I can turn that off in a power outage and flip the bottom main breaker to bring in electric from the outside generator. Nice and easy set up.

You might want to look at Sears for a generator if a store is nearby or online. Our gasoline generator is 5600 watts and can run the whole house, but I never tried running the A/C with it. I think we paid about $750 back then but with the liquidation sale they are having you might beat that price.

If you get one of those small generators, they are OK if you just want to run a couple of things. But bear in mind that they have small gas tanks and you will be filling it more often then a larger generator that has top mounted large tank that can run all night long while you are sleeping. Nothing worse then having to get up in the middle of the night to gas up the genny.

Don't over spend if you can't afford it, this is a purchase you many never use or use VERY little.

whatever you do, make sure you isolate the genny from the grid when it's running otherwise you will give linemen severe jolts. If you weren't moving, my bet would be a Generac that self starts, and have lines that run to an auto switch to isolate from the grid.

Otherwise, Honda or Yamaha. I have both a 1000 and 2000 Honda but think the 1000 would struggle with the load you want to run.

Years ago I bought a champion gen and had a generator sub panel put in to run just a few things more than you list. the few times I have used it it was great. The only problem is the champion gen that won't start when cold and I have use quick start to get it going.

vance

To run what you talk about a 4000-5000 watt genny will be fine.

Any less and it's possible to overload it if the furnace and water pump come on at the same time.

As previously noted startup draw on those motors is a lot higher than running draw.

Champion generators are fine for what you want it for.

I would keep it in the garage when not in use to keep it semi warm so it's easier to start in winter.

CT has a couple of good options on sale with a $200 saving right now.

A 5500 watt gas model: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/champion-5500w-portable-gas-generator-0550322p.html#srp

And a 6500 watt dual fuel model which will run on gas or propane. This would be ideal as you can run it off propane and not have to worry about carbs gumming up and bad fuel issues. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/champion-6500-watt-dual-fuel-generator-0550366p.html#srp

I have a 4500 watt Champion I use at the cabin to run my higher draw tools like my compressor.

The power is no where near as clean as my Yamaha I use to run everything else. In fact the Champion will not run my battery chargers for my cordless tools because of it.

I have been really impressed with how easily the Champion starts and runs though.

Almost always starts on the first pull. :)

You will also need a generator isolation panel to use the generator when the power goes out.

CTC just happens to have gennies on sale this week and saw them today before I saw Dave's post. I blew 300 bananas buying myself B Day presents, hit the big 63, never thought I'd see that number 30 years ago.

Best deal today was the Motomaster multi tool at 70% off and the 2 ton car jack at 70% off and the bottle of Crown down the street at 0% off. I am leaning towards the Champion 5500watt for 800 bucks. There is one @ 4500watt with remote start for $600.00. Not a Champion. I think I will go with the 5500w Champion based on Dave's suggestion, more than enough for us now and in the next shack, thanks Big Dave.

We are supposed to go across the ditch tomorrow and will look online tonight and see what I can get in the US. It may even be worth spending a night depending on price. I have a few bucks in a US bank account which I bought at par.

Anyone know off hand what the Duty Free exemption is now for 24 hours?

Google is a friend. 200 CDN 24 hrs, 800 CDN 48 hrs.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/duty-tax-import-guide/personal-exemptions

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Another question guys. If I don't get a unit with an inverter that from what I understand protects electronic items such as a PC, smart phones, can not having an invertor risk damage to my big screen TV? Samsung circa 2008/2009.

3500W/4200W Yardworks gas generator. Remote start to 80'. CTC $599.99 200 bucks off this week.

The Champion Dual fuel 6500W/8125W at CTC says gas or propane, NG compatible or not? I love where they say never go flat tires, they are plastic, good marketing.

Here I am spending hours shopping and trying not to over spend and my wife tells me the Cats vet bill is going to be $1000.00. Oh my oh my.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Inverters are 12DC to 120AC volt electronically controlled. Non inverter generators provide "dirty power" not very well regulated in terms of sinewave and hz. Items that run off clocks such as microwaves, etc do not do well with dirty power. You get what you pay for, don't tempt the smoke Genie, once let out of the bottle, you can't get them back in.

To make it easy for ya, "dirty power" is not regulated very well and like noted, electronics have a fine line that they operate well on. Go outside of that fine line, they overheat and poof. Motors are another item that can overheat, draw more current than what they are supposed to and don't run well.

We've been out for the last 5 hours and just got home awhile ago.

The whole area is in total darkness but as I'm coming down our dirt road thru the woods I can hear the welcoming sound of all the automatic stand-by generators purring away...including mine.

Power goes off and the genny fires up....power comes back on and the genny goes back to sleep until it's needed again.

Everything in my house works as usual which is nice as it looks like the power will be off for about another 24 hours.

Spending the $$$$ for a stand-by generator was maybe the best $$$$ I've ever spent, specially in the winter it's it's 20 below.

The Champion Dual fuel 6500W/8125W at CTC says gas or propane, NG compatible or not? I love where they say never go flat tires, they are plastic, good marketing.

Not without changing some stuff.

LP and NG while both are gases they have different properties and need different ratios of gas to 02 in order to run properly.

Dirty power can harm sensitive electronics. That's why I run my electronics off a Yamaha inverter genny.

A decent powerbar should protect your TV.

Should have one anyway if you don't already.

When I am finished building my cabin this will be my generator.

Nice and quiet, 7,000 watts of inverter power and fuel injected. :)

https://powerequipment.honda.ca/generators/ultra-quiet-7000i-es

EU7000is_16HPE_01.png

I went through a three day outage a few years back in May. Prior to the event I had gone for the most economical generator I could find. Having been through it now, I can tell you the following:

- Dont discount what people are saying about the noise. It was very, very annoying by the second night having a noisy engine running outside your house and it impacted our sleep. The quieter the model, the better you and your neighbors will sleep.

- You will need to have Jerry cans of fuel on site and if the fuel capacity on the generator is too low, you will have to set an alarm to get up and fill it before my morning. Not fun, but better than losing a freezer full of food.

- You wont be able to find the model you want anywhere near you following a local event, so make your purchase when the weather is nice, the forecast is good, and stocks are available.

- Get your good quality extension cords of suitable length that youll need at the same time you purchase your generator and know where you are keeping them.

- I dont know if anyone mentioned sump pumps, but thats another thing you may want to power if you have one, especially since the power-loss event may have also been a heavy rain event.