Transom repair. Type of wood

super dave

I recently purchased my first boat. Older 14 aluminum. Got it home on Thanksgiving weekend and noticed that the transom is pretty old and will need replacing. It's something I'm willing to tackle myself. I have a big cherry board sitting in the garage. Is this something I can use instead of marine grade Plywood? What do you guys use to seal the Wood? I've read of epoxy, Thompson water sale, spar varnish or just plain paint. What would be the best Option?

I just used good one side 3/4 PL premium to adhere them together added screws put it back in the boat.

Then drilled all mount ,brace and drain holes.

Took it back out sealed it all with west epoxy and painted it with marine paint..I'll never have to worry about it

As above. But I like the look of wood so I would use a few coats of Marine grade Spar Varnish on the Cherry. The more Spar applied the darker it will get. A light sanding and a good cleaning with a Tack cloth and repeat.

I can't see why Cherry wood would not work as long as it is thick enough, and varnishing it would look amazing. If it is plywood with a veneer that won't work for me, then I would go with Marine grade plywood, you might not need a full sheet either if they will cut. If solid Cherry I don't know the weight compared to Marine Grade ply. The lighter the better for a 14'er. We have used Marine plywood and put a nice veneer on each side for an older tinny.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Another thought on wood. It's one of those things sooner or later that when water gets in it starts to decay. Unless you hermetically seal the wood, it's almost impossible to achieve, it will happen. I don't care if you use Valspar, varathane, epoxy, cracks will happen. Even the newer version of low VOC Thompsons water sealer is close to a waste of time. If you still have the old stuff it will last longer.

One tip I can pass along as a result of my buddy FishnSled getting his transom replaced. If your transom has a metal cap on it, I would suggest that you put a rubber gasket between the transom and the cap. It will stop any water from getting under the cap and sitting there, trying to rot your transom.

And I would agree with the other poster re the cherry wood... likely to crack from the vibrations of trailer and or motor. At least with plywood, there is glue in place to help hold it all together; and glue is always stronger than wood.

HH

If you never want to take anything apart use 3M 5200, the best adhesive on the market.

Ohio Fisherman makes a great point, using a solid hardwood rather than a plywood for a transom may likely crack because of the great amount of stress on it. I would think it also depends on how large a piece needed. As far as wood finally rotting it all will eventually, if done right it will outlive you.

If your transom has a metal cap on it, I would suggest that you put a rubber gasket between the transom and the cap. It will stop any water from getting under the cap and sitting there, trying to rot your transom

HH

A strip of Ice and Snow used for roofing can replace a rubber gasket for Marine applications. It is economical and has adhesive on it. Easy to use and cheap to buy.

White oak. It's what boat folks use. Strong and resists rot and moisture. Hard to find nowadays the big building supply stores don't carry it... just red oak. But call around to lumber mills or Kijiji to find 1" or thicker according to width you're replacing.