skein for rainbow trout/steelhead

huzzsaba

My friend caught his first ever salmon a few weeks ago and gave me the roe. I got on youtube and saw a few videos on curing it with borax. I did just that since it was the quickest and easiest.

My plan was to use it for rainbow trout/steelhead, but not sure if people do use big chunks of skein for them. Rather I hear of single eggs or smaller size roe bags. I know I should have asked before curing them, but its done now lol, and I don't plan on keeping any more female salmon for this year.

I'm sure skein works, but just seeing if there is a certain size that the rainbows like. I am planning to use them for brown trout as well.

Edited by huzzsaba

I have only caught salmon with skein this year. I finger swipe some into loose , and keep skein for chunks. As for the size of chunks, I have used huge pieces. I find the bigger, the better. That is me, and it works for me. Good call on the borax on the skein. If you have open cuts on your hand when handling it, you will not like the stinging pain. LOL

This is 2 sides that I finger swiped loose from a 8 pound hen last weekend. Looks like trout roe.

When I say finger loose, I mean I gently run my fingers through the skein pulling the eggs off the membrane. I leave nothing behind but the membrane. All loose eggs. Some use a spoon, but I wind it damages too many eggs, and you get too much membrane pieces.

oVPcjwO.jpg?1

My sweet and salty cure I like to use

brown sugar and fine seas salt

gZvBCsO.jpg?1

rmT8gaQ.jpg?1

Thanks for your reply Brian. that roe looks beautiful.

I just remembered my neighbor gave me some of the rainbow trout he caught a few days ago, and gave me some of its eggs as well. it was frozen already. I will see if I can use your cure method for those and maybe tie those into roe bags.

Edited by huzzsaba

We ate some of the stuff in Japan. One of the Millwrights that was in my crew asked me "What we were eating Johnny D." I told him bait.

I got people telling me I got to try some. I just tell them, it,s not certified for human consumption. LOL

Next time you get some skeins, get you some 1/4 inch hardware mesh. Put it over a plastic basin and drop the skein egg side down on the mesh, commence rubbing the back of the skein and you'll have them scraped in minutes. I use borax for all skein. Salt cured skein doesn't freeze as well, and tends to turn to mush over time. Loose eggs and salt go well together.

Next time you get some skeins, get you some 1/4 inch hardware mesh. Put it over a plastic basin and drop the skein egg side down on the mesh, commence rubbing the back of the skein and you'll have them scraped in minutes. I use borax for all skein. Salt cured skein doesn't freeze as well, and tends to turn to mush over time. Loose eggs and salt go well together.

Fingers are at the ready and no need for mesh. And Im not in any hurry to getrdone. LOL

I use up the skein quick. Never goes to the next year. Like you said, goes to mush.

Edited by Misfish

When I do use eggs for rainbows, 95% of the time, it's chinook salmon skein. I either get it from my friends, the trash can at cleaning stations, or from fish I give to my neighbours from late July/Early Aug while they're still chrome.

I mostly scrape the eggs out with the back end of a table spoon. I then lay the eggs out on a bunch of paper towels to dry. Once the eggs are tacky, I bag them with zip-lock freezer bags into daily portions and freeze. I thaw them out slowly in the fridge, a day or two before I plan to head out. This weekend, I thawed out some eggs from over 3yrs ago and they look and smell great (too bad I forgot them at home when I hit the river.LOL).

When I do decide to cure skeins (for steelhead fishing in winter or fast water), plain borax is pretty hard to beat for skein.

Considering that you already have skein that is cured, just cut it to size and use.

When I do use eggs for rainbows, 95% of the time, it's chinook salmon skein. I either get it from my friends, the trash can at cleaning stations, or from fish I give to my neighbours from late July/Early Aug while they're still chrome.

I mostly scrape the eggs out with the back end of a table spoon. I then lay the eggs out on a bunch of paper towels to dry. Once the eggs are tacky, I bag them with zip-lock freezer bags into daily portions and freeze. I thaw them out slowly in the fridge, a day or two before I plan to head out. This weekend, I thawed out some eggs from over 3yrs ago and they look and smell great (too bad I forgot them at home when I hit the river.LOL).

When I do decide to cure skeins (for steelhead fishing in winter or fast water), plain borax is pretty hard to beat for skein.

Considering that you already have skein that is cured, just cut it to size and use.

Good thing we met in the DARK eh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Good thing we met in the DARK eh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

When the action lit up again, I hooked fish on everything except the roe... :whistling:

I will sell you one of my magic spinners and kwikfish for $1 million each...It's a price you can't afford to pass up!

I cut salmon skein in chunks with scissors the size I use for salmon. Then I borax for 2-3 days.

Then I separate into sandwich bags 10-12 chunks. Then I wrap each bag in tin foil and freeze.

For making bags for rainbows I un thaw and then pull the eggs off the skein. Most often I bag as is, sometimes add a little more cure.

When late August rolls around again my chunk salmon skein is ready to go.