Question about catching Salmon

bigboy99

Hello Everyone, my first post here to get some knowledge from the good anglers of Ontario. I am very intested in fishing for Salmon this year and wanted to know if the following method is considered legal. I understand that snagging salmon is illegal but someone was telling me that if you are able to guide the bait into the mouth of the salmon and hook it then it is ok. I feel that the only time this can be done is in very shallow water when the salmon can be spotted. Would guiding the bait into the mouth of the salmon after spotting it in shallow water considered legal?

That's called snagging bigboy. Tail, body or mouth it technically is snagging. I would doubt you could do it anyway. One would have to be good with a rod and line to "snag" a fish in the mouth. Besides that I think it isn't very sporting and not in the spirit of sportsmanship. If you miss the mouth and caught the fish in the body what would you call that? If I saw you do what you propose I would turn you in buddy. I think you have come to the wrong forum, want to start over again?

This is a joke right, who posted this?

I think your response is a little much, just like many of your out of this world posts. You seem to use this forum to vent on other people. I believe it is snagging, but if you didn't know why wouldn't you ask someone that does? Much better then going and doing it with out asking. I would call the MNR and ask them, as in matters like this you should ask the authorities,instead of listening to someones opinions.

Well you just have to excuse me Canoe. I have to realize there must be some very sensitive folks here. It's called an opinion based on simple logic and no I wasn't venting, and with whom have I vented to previously?

1st post here and the guy wants to know if snagging Salmon is legal, in the mouth or no mouth he isn't angling for fish as intended as stated in the Regs from what I recall. One need not be a C.O. or a Bay St. lawyer to know a person is snagging fish if he did that. That is my opinion although some may not agree I'm sticking to it.

If you can get the hook into its mouth, then it's legally caught. Trouble is, most guys that employ this approach can't get it into the mouth, it catches on the outside of the mouth on the side of the fish opposite the angler so it's not "in the mouth" but on the outside of the mouth. From a distance it looks pretty legit, and in my youth I could line chinooks with the best of them! Lots of folks who fish regularily consider it a shady practice but then there are guys float fishing with long leaders in pools full of salmon that are doing the exact same thing. In reality the fish that make it to what I'll call "lining water" are usually so focused on spawning that they really aren't interested in that piece of delicious pink sponge you just presented to them, so folks need to face facts that they aren't really biting the hook. They do hit pretty well in the lower sections of River though and big spawn bags or chunks of skein takes fish fair and square. Anyway, shallow water chinooks just aren't near as fun as estuary fish or staging fish, but it's the most accessible location for people without boats, so have atter I guess. God knows I did a ton of it as a kid!

If you can get the hook into its mouth, then it's legally caught. Trouble is, most guys that employ this approach can't get it into the mouth, it catches on the outside of the mouth on the side of the fish opposite the angler so it's not "in the mouth" but on the outside of the mouth. From a distance it looks pretty legit, and in my youth I could line chinooks with the best of them! Lots of folks who fish regularily consider it a shady practice but then there are guys float fishing with long leaders in pools full of salmon that are doing the exact same thing. In reality the fish that make it to what I'll call "lining water" are usually so focused on spawning that they really aren't interested in that piece of delicious pink sponge you just presented to them, so folks need to face facts that they aren't really biting the hook. They do hit pretty well in the lower sections of River though and big spawn bags or chunks of skein takes fish fair and square. Anyway, shallow water chinooks just aren't near as fun as estuary fish or staging fish, but it's the most accessible location for people without boats, so have atter I guess. God knows I did a ton of it as a kid!

Good reply.

Salmon that enter the system and are in the early run stage, will hit. I have caught many drifting and casting pools. Like said, once they get to the " get to business " section, they are there for one reason, and one reason only.

That's called snagging bigboy. Tail, body or mouth it technically is snagging. I would doubt you could do it anyway. One would have to be good with a rod and line to "snag" a fish in the mouth. Besides that I think it isn't very sporting and not in the spirit of sportsmanship. If you miss the mouth and caught the fish in the body what would you call that? If I saw you do what you propose I would turn you in buddy. I think you have come to the wrong forum, want to start over again?

This is a joke right, who posted this?

I agree with you. If it's illegal, I would report the individual myself :)

I think your response is a little much, just like many of your out of this world posts. You seem to use this forum to vent on other people. I believe it is snagging, but if you didn't know why wouldn't you ask someone that does? Much better then going and doing it with out asking. I would call the MNR and ask them, as in matters like this you should ask the authorities,instead of listening to someones opinions.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will call the Ministry to get it cleared.

I have seen a gentleman actually go in front of the fish and guide the bait in the mouth. I guess it can be done with some try. But, if the practice is legit then it's ok. I am just confused by people trying so many things and reading about all the illegal fishing activities in the news, I will call the ministry to confirm. Thanks everyone.

I agree with you. If it's illegal, I would report the individual myself :)

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will call the Ministry to get it cleared.

I have seen a gentleman actually go in front of the fish and guide the bait in the mouth. I guess it can be done with some try. But, if the practice is legit then it's ok. I am just confused by people trying so many things and reading about all the illegal fishing activities in the news, I will call the ministry to confirm. Thanks everyone.

I dont get your point here. Are you trying to see if you can get away with what is sketchy law, or what is ethical ?

I dont get your point here. Are you trying to see if you can get away with what is sketchy law, or what is ethical ?

That was the point I poorly made late last night. I could have been more welcoming I imagine for the guys 1st post. And I admit I came across as a bit of a Jack Ass. I was a tad antsy as I sat here late last night listening to branches and rather large twigs bouncing off the roof. I checked a local weather buoy and at 1 AM winds were clocked at 77KPH, I would guess more like 90. I am replacing some 2X6 deck boards and removed the lag screws holding our BBQ down. Just yesterday I decided to screw them back in, lucky I did. I was playing catch the patio furniture. My wife woke this AM to find her kitchen full of leafs.

Sorry Canoe and welcome to OFC. Why not give us a bit of a bio, where you fish, favorite fish to catch etc. A thick skin is required here on occasion.

I'm surprised the comments here aren't 100x worse.

I do recall it being mentioned some people use giant treble hooks or multiple circle hooks on a line to do this.

Sounds rediculous to me

But what do I know? No salmon near me so....

To the OP at least your asking. I also applaud your "I thought I'd ask before I tried it" comment. At least you're making an effort to be legal in your methods

First off, OI I saw nothing wrong with your first response. Everyone needs to realize that when new people come on the board we don't always have benefit of a slow "get to know you". So when post 1 is "can you snag salmon in the mouth legally", it really pushes the comfort envelope rather quickly. In fact it was Canoe's post that was rude, not yours.

What the op is referred to is known as "force feeding". It's when the fish is naturally facing upstream and mouthing the water( open and closing). Guys will do drifts past the fish trying to get the line across its mouth, not the hook. Then once the line gets pulled through, the hook pops him in the jaw. It's illegal because the fish didn't take the bait, it was hooked forcibly.