Anyone ever fly fish from a yak???

I have fly fished from my toon. So we are pretty much the same as far as being low to the water . It,s not like standing and throwing a fly thats for sure. Lots of times, I caught myself ducking out of the way on the back swing, then getting hit in the back of my hat on the forward swing. Line gets caught up on things. Like my foot pegs, or wrapped around my finder and go pro. LOL

It,s a challenge, but it is fun.

Edited by Misfish

I have fly fished from my toon. So we are pretty much the same as far as being low to the water . It,s not like standing and throwing a fly thats for sure. Lots of times, I caught myself ducking out of the way on the back swing, then getting hit in the back of my hat on the forward swing. Line gets caught up on things. Like my foot pegs, or wrapped around my finder and go pro. LOL

google "'stripping basket for kayak"

I have fly fished from a kayak, but didn't find it to be overly great. Stability was no issue, but you sit really close to the waterline which can affect your casting room. Also any small projections or hardware on the kayak tend to grab fly lines.

Fishing low to the water from a canoe, I always used a 9 1/2 foot , ie. longer rod, 9 wt with a bass bug taper or a 30 foot 280 gr hi density shooting head with mono shooting line for lake fishing. Bass poppers with the floater in the morning and a black woolly bugger stripped across the bottom on the sinker during the day.

Last couple of seasons I have been chasing musky, in a yak, with a flyrod. Having a yak that you can stand up in makes a huge difference IMHO. Otherwise, all the casting stress seems to come to rest in my tired, old shoulder. Having a very 'clean' (very little rigging) boat is key: fly line will find anything to snag on.