Mah boy caught his first sturgeon...

manitoubass2

Went out twice walleye fishing from shore today. Beauty of a day! Sunny, +16 with a decent wind gust.

He got into some dink walleye right away in the 10-13" range. Landed maybe 20-25 walleye in a few hours. He kept 3.

Decided to head back down for a second crack. No luck on the walleye but I hear him yell "fish on"!

Looks like a big Walter, but as he fights it's clear to me it's a small sturgeon. It surfaces and he starts yelling " it's a friggin sturgeon"!

Good 3-4 minute fight and he lands it. I'm yelling at him to be careful as the back is razor sharp. No worries, he pops out the hook and holds her up to show me.

Nice healthy sturgeon! Maybe 20-25" long, but it's his first and he's beyond stoked!

Very happy for him. A few quick pics and released to hopefully live another 100 years.

For all you sturgeon anglers, 3/8ths oz jig with a chartreuse yum grub 25 fow lol.

Woot woot!

Edited by manitoubass2

Cool, and great pic! I had no idea their back had sharp points. Monsters of the deep?

Indeed cool!

Their backs are razor sharp as youngins but wear down over time. I think it's mainly the spawn that wears those down

When I say razor sharp, I mean it. Those could cut off the tip of a finger like butter

awesome its been on my bucket list for over 40 years and still is, way to go champ congradulations

Can't target them but if ya ever walleye fish rainy river in the spring/fall your almost guaranteed to catch one

And thanks, he's still so pumped!

It's crappie out(windy and rainy) but we're heading out again for walleye(hopefully some good eaters for supper tonight)

Back in the sixty's I was fishing with my dad on the Ottawa river near Petawawa and I said I got a big fish,after about 5 minutes dad said you just snagged a big stick off the bottom and put the net down and went back to fishing but I kept up the fight and low and behold this 20lb dinosaur emerged along side of the boat. What a rush and that was the last time dad EVER disbelieved I had a fish on.

vance

Back in the sixty's I was fishing with my dad on the Ottawa river near Petawawa and I said I got a big fish,after about 5 minutes dad said you just snagged a big stick off the bottom and put the net down and went back to fishing but I kept up the fight and low and behold this 20lb dinosaur emerged along side of the boat. What a rush and that was the last time dad EVER disbelieved I had a fish on.

vance

Hahaha awesome!

That's great that he got one as young as he is and taught that releasing it is the right thing to do; good on you.

I keep asking my wife when could we go visit her brother.

She knows me all to well though; "you don't want to see him, you want to go fishing". He lives about 20 minutes from the Fraser River and there's all kinds of guides in his area that are set up for surgeon.

One day I'll get there; maybe?

Dan.

That's great that he got one as young as he is and taught that releasing it is the right thing to do; good on you.

I keep asking my wife when could we go visit her brother.

She knows me all to well though; "you don't want to see him, you want to go fishing". He lives about 20 minutes from the Fraser River and there's all kinds of guides in his area that are set up for surgeon.

One day I'll get there; maybe?

Dan.

Thanks!

And lol.

Those Frasier river sturgeon are a different beast! Def. On my bucket list one day!

Here the get about 8ft 100-120lbs. Nothing like the Frasier

And obviously live release is the only option. He is status, but no way would he keep it.

1. Daddy taught him well

2. Sturgeon can be smoked but you want about a 50lber

3. I've never smoked one in my life so I'd have no clue?

4.my wife's uncle smokes a few per year and we get 2-3lbs.

Zero reason for us to ever keep one