Snowmobile debate

muskymatt

I'm upgrading my 1988 Safari to a new sled this year and need some input.

I'm not a trail rider but might do a little this year with a new sled.

Primary use is to get into the back lakes with my frabill tow behind.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Ski doo 2 up 550 fan cooled 155 track but i'm still open to suggestions and recommendations being that I'm totally out of sync with the modern sleds and technology.

I've also been looking at Yamaha and Polaris. Do these compare to Ski doo?

4 strokes will likely be too big and too heavy and need oil changes.

Any and all help with this decision would be be awesome.

I have 97 skidoo touring. It's pretty light and very reliable. Only one thing is driving me crazy how hard sometimes is to start it.

Costa... bought a 98 touring SLE 500 fan last year and love it. Great sled for both trails and getting through the bush. Built on the same frame as the Skandic minus the gearing.

Hey Matt,

Planning to go brand new? A Tundra, or Skandic would fit the bill for what you are looking for. expect they are both 4 strokes (as almost everything is now).The new Yammy VK-540 is a work horse as well and its a 2 stroke. That being said all 3 of these sleds are quite heavy.... but I guess most sleds are now a days.

The used sled market will be heating up soon........ good luck with your search.

O... and of course GLG.

Costa... bought a 98 touring SLE 500 fan last year and love it. Great sled for both trails and getting through the bush. Built on the same frame as the Skandic minus the gearing.

Hey Matt,

Planning to go brand new? A Tundra, or Skandic would fit the bill for what you are looking for. expect they are both 4 strokes (as almost everything is now).The new Yammy VK-540 is a work horse as well and its a 2 stroke. That being said all 3 of these sleds are quite heavy.... but I guess most sleds are now a days.

The used sled market will be heating up soon........ good luck with your search.

O... and of course GLG.

What he said ^.....I think the new VK's are 4 strokes now though.

I have a yamaha venture....love it...I only use it for fishing, with the odd little trail ride if conditions are good.

S.

The VKs are still using the 535 fan cooled 2 strokes (I don't know how, I thought the emissions weren't allowed now?).

I guess the options are the Tundra Lt, the VK or the Polaris Voyager (I think Joey Tier has this sled). All are around 550 cc, fan 2 strokes. I think the VK is about 2 K more than the others. I wouldn't get a 4 stroke because of weight.

It's a big expense, is the old Safari totally toast?

There all heavy when stuck. The doo ace 4 strokes not really any heavier than 2 stroke counterparts and whole lots more reliable than 2 strokes and sip fuel. Lots of models from all manufacturors that will do the job though . 155 track great off trail be a bear on the trail.

I have a Voyageur 144 550 fan...i break a lot of tight trails in deep fluffy snow and I still can't believe what it goes thru, pulling a sleigh full of gear too. My last sled was a Safari too, you will be 10x more capable offtrail whether you go the indy or the tundra. The tundra has the pogo stick front suspension so its tippier but more nimble thru the trees, voyageur is a little more manageable if you wanna put some miles on the trails.

Yes the VK are tanks. We have 2 at work. I wouldnt get one for trail breaking, get stuck and you need a tow truck to get it out. We use them to pull X country ski trail groomers. They are bullet proof but way too heavy duty for what you want IMO. Yamaha really needs to bring back the bravo lt.

I havnt had much of a sled since early 2000s ,last yr I picked up a 17 Renegade Backcountry does everything I want and more ,including a big smile whenever I flatten out the throttle .

You will be happy with your new choice will be leaps and bounds better than that old safari .

4 stroke is the way to go

Hey Matt,

O... and of course GLG.

Yes I'm going new and I'm starting to realize that 2 or 4 stroke , they will all be heavier than what I'm used to. I am looking at Tundra and Skandic but a bud of mine says I must go check out the Yammys.

At this poit the only criteria I have is that it's not laffs blue. LOL

Yes I'm going new and I'm starting to realize that 2 or 4 stroke , they will all be heavier than what I'm used to. I am looking at Tundra and Skandic but a bud of mine says I must go check out the Yammys.

At this poit the only criteria I have is that it's not laffs blue. LOL

I'm a yammy guy. I swear by them, but they don't really have a decent trail breaking utility sled. Other than the VK's, which are way to heavy duty for what you need, their machines are bullet proof otherwise. I don't know why they stopped making the bravo's.....they are the best sled ever for bushwhacking and ice fishing.

If I was looking for a new sled for what you want to do, I'd be checking out the same as you are. A buddy of mine got a tundra last year, and its a great little sled. Very good off trail, and reasonably light as well. His is a 300 fan, 4 stroke, I believe. Runs like a dream so far. Its not fast, but it will go anywhere you need it to, and back.

S.

Yamaha really needs to bring back the bravo lt.

I always wondered why all manufactures, don't bring back a small sled. Something ice anglers could use, without breaking the bank. Not all of us are trail riders and need speed demin machines. Give the ATV retailers, a run for their money.

I always wondered why all manufactures, don't bring back a small sled. Something ice anglers could use, without breaking the bank. Not all of us are trail riders and need speed demin machines. Give the ATV retailers, a run for their money.

Agreed. I don't need a machine that goes 117mph to go ice fishing

Skidoo, Polaris, and Arctic Cat all offer long track utility minded fan-cooled 2 stroke sleds for under 10 grand. There's nowhere near enough market for 440 cc class sleds anymore. 550 fans are light and bulletproof anyways, super easy to crank over too

Skidoo, Polaris, and Arctic Cat all offer long track utility minded fan-cooled 2 stroke sleds for under 10 grand. There's nowhere near enough market for 440 cc class sleds anymore. 550 fans are light and bulletproof anyways, super easy to crank over too

Looking at 2018 Models on the Arctic Cat Site, there's 5 for under 10 grand, 2 youth, 2 touring & 1 Utility:

Youth Sleds are Cheapest:

ZR 120, 123cc Air Cooled 4 Stroke Engine, MSRP of $3499: https://ca.www.arcticcat.com/snow/sleds/model/2018-en-ca-zr-120/

ZR 200, 192cc Fan Cooled 4 Stroke Engine, MSRP of $4499: https://ca.www.arcticcat.com/snow/sleds/model/2018-en-ca-zr-200/

Then it's Touring:

Lynx 2000 ES, 565cc Fan Cooled 2 Stroke Engine, MSRP of $8599: https://ca.www.arcticcat.com/snow/sleds/model/2018-en-ca-lynx-2000-es/

Lynx 2000 LT ES, Same Engine, just some changes elsewhere, MSRP of $8999: https://ca.www.arcticcat.com/snow/sleds/model/2018-en-ca-lynx-2000-lt-es/

Finally it's Utility:

Bearcat 2000 LT ES, Same Engine as the Lynx, 0.4Gal more Fuel & some other changes elsewhere, MSRP of $9999: https://ca.www.arcticcat.com/snow/sleds/model/2018-en-ca-bearcat-2000-lt-es/

Yamaha brought back the Snoscoot for 2018 (Leaf Blue too). It's designed for youth but I want to see one in person. It may work as an ice fishing sled. I'm pretty sure it won't work for trail breaking and back lake stuff, the track is 10"x90".

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/youth/models/snoscoot

Edited by chris.brock

Like their ATV's, Arctic Cat (Textron) would be my last choice. We have 2 Bearcats at work and left the keys in them hoping someone would take them... :rofl2:

Ive had 2 arctic cat sleds and both of them left me stranded. One was a puma 340 long track, the other was a 440 snow pro.....junk.

S.