NF - HollisWealth?

John Bacon

I'm with Manulife... Been getting decent returns, I had a low risk fund of mine making 14% for some time last year, obviously didn't stay like that for forever unfortunately haha. My advisor is in Hamilton, she has 2 offices, one on King St and one on upper Ottawa. She typically likes to do a yearly or bi yearly touch base to see if there's anything else to be done to increase growth.

Lia Hess if you're interested at all.

Edited by Lucas F

I don't know anything about Hollis but find out about their management fees. High fees can really suck off growth.

Using an adviser at one of the big banks will likely save you in fees.

Thanks, I think Hollis is owned by Scotia Bank. They claim that they there fees are actually lower than going through the bank.

We have some stuff with a guy from Edward Jones. I haven't totally dissected it all but there seems to be a lot of money going to fees.

Long term, realistically, you're shooting for an 8 or hopefully 10 percent return. A 2 or 3 percent suck off in fees is huge.

Edited by chris.brock

I was an advisor for almost 20 years, both investments and life insurance. My advice is this, buy monthly, don't worry about the market, and when everyone is losing their shirts, buy blue chip mutual funds aggressively. Stick to a balanced approach and don't get greedy. Pigs get slaughtered. I saw 2000 coming and also the 2009 meltdown. Everybody called me crazy. Those that listened still stay in touch even though I left the business over 3 years ago.

Lots of choices out there

Finding an advisor without conflict of interest is hard.

Many will steer you into investments that benefit them thru fees and kickbacks and may not be the best out there for you.

Stay away from equity mutual funds.

They charge between 2 to 2.5 % annually on every dollar in the fund whether it goes up or down. And the majority of these funds don't beat the market.

ETFs are the way to go or owning individual stocks. Way lower fees with ETFs. . .5 % usually. With stocks you pay a fee when you buy and then when you sell. That's it.

Most important thing with equity investments is don't panic.

The markets can be volatile. A lot of people buy in when the market runs up- so at the top, then panic and sell after the inevitable correction - at the bottom. Worst thing you can do.

I've been a DIY investor for over 25 years.

You spend days and weeks studying what ATV to buy. You know everything about your new truck .

And you go into your bank with a bag over your head.

MER Management Expense Ratio is what Caption is talking about.

Cibc has paid a dividend for 150 years, BMO has paid a dividend for 200 years never missed never reduced. You can look up the other 3 banks.

Canadian Dividend Aristocrats look it up.

ETF Exchange Traded Funds they trade like stock and look like mutual funds most Mer's are below .008 %