Spinning reel recommendation

mike rousseau

if you are determined to stay brand new, another option for $200 is the Shimano Ultegra. its a stradic minus one bearing. it also has the direct drive (screw in) handle that the stradic has but that the cheaper shimano's don't.

I have played with this reel in store and it is awesome. about $70 less than a Stradic.

I'm throwing another ticket in for the stradic, I own one and it's definatley worth the extra cash. Also used the NASCI all weekend on my last trip definitely worth considering as well. If you're looking for something a bit cheaper the new Sedona is pretty decent. Picked one up for the gf and I've used it a few times, also worth a look.

Edited by Musky Plug

Here's a good example of what's out there....

"Selling 5 spinning reels for my buddy. All shimano, all are used. Reels only. All work as they should.

Looking to sell in bundle only for 200TYD USD

Shimano reels for sale:

1 stradic 2500FH

3 sahara 2 are 2500FE and 1 2500FD

1 sienna 2500FD"

That's a deal at about $250 Canadian

I just picked up a couple Abu Orra inshore reels and am VERY impressed with them, particularly the drag. I haven't owned any reel with a drag that smooth. I'd put them in the same class of reel as a Shimano Sustain but much cheaper. They aren't the nicest looking reels IMO but the performance is what matters. Can't beat this reel for $110 on Amazon.ca

Josh

I like the 2630 with 175 yds of 8 pound mono on a 8.6 ounce reel, good drag , have to look at it for a Lake O shorecasting reel.

Here's a good example of what's out there....

"Selling 5 spinning reels for my buddy. All shimano, all are used. Reels only. All work as they should.

Looking to sell in bundle only for 200TYD USD

Shimano reels for sale:

1 stradic 2500FH

3 sahara 2 are 2500FE and 1 2500FD

1 sienna 2500FD"

That's a deal at about $250 Canadian

lol this is the only place ive found deals like that...the game is different around these parts.

To throw some different ones in there I love the Pfluger line. The president or premier are money.

I love the shimano Sahara as well. All are well below your price point.

I second the pfluegers.......when you need reels for a pier rod, catfish rod, walleye rod, inland trout rod, etc etc........oh and always need spares for bringing friends or relatives out that dont have equipment, .....how are guys spending 200 plus per reel? lol God Bless Ya

I like the 2630 with 175 yds of 8 pound mono on a 8.6 ounce reel, good drag , have to look at it for a Lake O shorecasting reel.

I've been using the 40 size spooled with 25lb braid for Chinook this season, best reel I've used for that application hands down ;)

For spinning reels I used to be a Shimano fan but switched to purchasing mostly Pfluegers a few years back as they offered better performance and value. These new Abu's are again a step ahead of Pfluegers (both Pure Fishing companies) in bang for your buck IMO. Still love the Patriarch and Supreme XT's for lightweight setups tho...

I haven't torn down one of the Abu's yet but I'm guessing the internals are similar to the Pfluegers, simple and reliable. As someone who does their own reel maintenance and servicing what that means to me is less things to break, wear out or go wrong when compared to other manufacturers :)

Josh

I've been using the 40 size spooled with 25lb braid for Chinook this season, best reel I've used for that application hands down ;)

For spinning reels I used to be a Shimano fan but switched to purchasing mostly Pfluegers a few years back as they offered better performance and value. These new Abu's are again a step ahead of Pfluegers (both Pure Fishing companies) in bang for your buck IMO. Still love the Patriarch and Supreme XT's for lightweight setups tho...

I haven't torn down one of the Abu's yet but I'm guessing the internals are similar to the Pfluegers, simple and reliable. As someone who does their own reel maintenance and servicing what that means to me is less things to break, wear out or go wrong when compared to other manufacturers :)

Josh

Pfluegers are good reels but I'd argue they offer better performance than Shimano.

I am still using budget rod/reels made by shimano. The most used is my shimano Zuraca 2500 reel which surprisingly only has one ball bearing in it.this combo came came with a 6.6 medium power rod and sold for anywhere from $35-40. Toobad its discontinued now and veryhard to find. Have caught 4 big 15-20 lb salmon on it , as well as many other fish.(knock on wood) hope it lasts a long time! The drag is amazing and very smooth reel. I can only imagine how good the higher end reels are!

Edited by huzzsaba

Thanks all

Found a great deal on a Pflueger supreme XT

I like the lightweight features... also the braid ready spools seam like a good idea (although I'll probably still use backing lol)

The Ci4 was more $$ than I wanted to put in a reel I don't use very often

Again thanks for all the support

Pfluegers are good reels but I'd argue they offer better performance than Shimano.

I have lots of OLD shimano spinning reels that still work perfectly to this day. I have 2 pfleugers that dont work any more. I really liked the pfleugers when I got them, but they just don't hold up like a shimano does.

I have a few diawas that are tough too.

For me its all about getting gear that can take a beating. If it doesn't last, I don't want it, especially reels. I can get away with cheaper rods, but the reel is important.

S.

I have lots of OLD shimano spinning reels that still work perfectly to this day. I have 2 pfleugers that dont work any more. I really liked the pfleugers when I got them, but they just don't hold up like a shimano does.

I have a few diawas that are tough too.

For me its all about getting gear that can take a beating. If it doesn't last, I don't want it, especially reels. I can get away with cheaper rods, but the reel is important.

S.

Yep. I have two pfluegers and awesome reels outta the box but mine bit the dust after 3-4 seasons

CI4 is hands down my best reels, but those stay in the boat and don't take a beating like my shorefishing reels do

For shorefishing my best reels are okuma avengers, only like $40-$50 and take a heavy beating and still work like the day I bought them. I'd highly recommend them for shorefishing or even for the kiddos rods(if they still make them that is)

Maybe I'm just lucky with the Pfluegers I have. Or maybe it's the winter maintenance that all my abused reels get ;) I havent had a Pflueger spinning reel fail me yet :)

I did have a freind that was about to throw out a 5-6yr old President that was locking up on the retrieve, gave it a 5min clean and lube and he said it was better than new.

Josh

ive got a stradic that was already beat to hell when i bought it...ive been using it now very heavily for 5 years...did the general maintenance in the fall the thing performs like its brand new...only problem is she is banggged up now lol. hands down best reel ive ever owned.

Edited by AKRISONER

Maybe I'm just lucky with the Pfluegers I have. Or maybe it's the winter maintenance that all my abused reels get ;) I havent had a Pflueger spinning reel fail me yet :)

I did have a freind that was about to throw out a 5-6yr old President that was locking up on the retrieve, gave it a 5min clean and lube and he said it was better than new.

Josh

I used one of mine in salt water and the gears inside litterally turned to sludge.

The other one the bail arm blew up, and the springs flew into the lake.

All my shimanos I've ever bought still work fine. I've never done any maintenance to any of them either lol

S.

Congrats on the Pflueger Supreme XT. It is a wicked reel. Dad has had his for at least 4 years and still loves it. He doesn't maintain it at all and it is still going strong. I will say though I doubt he uses it the same way we do.

I was extremely impressed with it when he bought it (well, I picked it out for him) and to this day, it is still smooth as silk. I just prefer my stradics.

I picked up a Daiwa Procyon 2500 from Canadian Tire on clearance for $75.00 (regular $150). Can't speak to the longevity but it is definitely the smoothest reel I've ever used. I bought a cool stand so I won't have to lay it on the pier like my usual shore fishing rods.

The Daiwa Revros on clearance for $49.99 at CT is a good deal too. It's no Stradic, but you won't find a smoother reel for $50.00.