Spinning reel recommendation

mike rousseau

Hey gang

I'm looking for a new spinning reel

I mostly have cheapos and the low quality drag systems are starting to bother me

I'm looking for recommendations based on reels you have used

Key for me with this reel... DRAG...

Good drag is key as this will have 6-8lb braid for jigging walleye and dropshotting river smallies with fine wire hooks

I'm thinking my budget is max $200 CAN

Please gimme your recommendations

Thanks

stradics great reels i recently found 2 FJ2500 old stock at a local retailer on clearence for 145 and bought both. i now have 4. check any local canadian tires there were clearing out some older model reels and i got a shimano saros 2500 for 99 bucks,half price and a great reel also. you can view the inventory of any canadian tire store clearence items on line. just click on clearence on home page then pick your store. find fishing clearence items then shop. lots of good deals.

I just picked up a couple Abu Orra inshore reels and am VERY impressed with them, particularly the drag. I haven't owned any reel with a drag that smooth. I'd put them in the same class of reel as a Shimano Sustain but much cheaper. They aren't the nicest looking reels IMO but the performance is what matters. Can't beat this reel for $110 on Amazon.ca

Josh

Edited by J Roelofsen

The stradic is all I own. an original CI4 and the newest CI4+. Both are great reels but the original is a lot lighter. If you can fund a used one in your price range, you could always send it out for a cleaning and Shimano will replace any worn pieces while in there.

If you are looking for new, I bought my father a Pflueger Supreme XT a few years ago and it is really nice to use as well. He loves it and the few times I've used it, I can't complain either.

A Shimano for sure! I can drop off for warranty and service (as a plus) but I've had next to no issues with any I've owned/have. Now Ardent on the other hand, pure trash! Blew up the drag on a big fish the 1st day using it! I got the one for $100 too so it should have been decent but NOPE it sure wasn't! I also have a Pflueger Patriarch (new last off season) but yet to get a fish that can really test the drag on it but it is nice to hold and use.

umm guys?

he said 200 canadian...can someone please point me out to the $200 tax in stradics? cause I wanna buy them lol

Now...yes i agree stradics are also my favourite spinning reel the drag systems on them is the best ive ever felt, thats why i own multiple of them but they are not $200.

for something sub 200...im a fan of the abu revo

Edited by AKRISONER

Bought a NIB Stradic FJ on clearance for $120, and got a couple of 2500 Ci4's for under $200 each for a buddy. Anything is possible when they are clearing out the last years model, but no that's not an everyday price. They regularily come up used in excellent condition for $140-160.

Bought a NIB Stradic FJ on clearance for $120, and got a couple of 2500 Ci4's for under $200 each for a buddy. Anything is possible when they are clearing out the last years model, but no that's not an everyday price. They regularily come up used in excellent condition for $140-160.

once again...where are you finding them even used these days for $140 CAD

once again...where are you finding them even used these days for $140 CAD

Well, you have to be on the hunt, and your have to have money to spend. A short while ago there was a Stradic ci4 and a st croix wild River steelhead rod advertised here in excellent used condition for $200. Not uncommon at all. But I don't need to prove anything to you. All of my gear is higher end. All of it has been bought either used or on extreme clearance when a new model has been brought out. Watch the classifieds, have cash in hand and don't dicker when the price is right just jump on it. If it weren't for that, I'd still be fishing with ugly sticks! As for where the clearance deals come up, well some guys already know but I don't want more competition! Fact is he can easily find a Stradic in excellent used condition for well under $200 if he doesn't have to have it tomorrow!

AKRISONER,

The first person who recommended the Stradic said used but porkpie is correct. I've seen the old stock CI4's go for under $200 anytime they come out with a new model. The new ones are not that cheap though and that is why I recommended something else.

As for the OP,

I have sent you a PM.