Well, I ate largemouth bass, and....

smithy97

It was great! Wasn't sure what to think after getting lots of different opinions on it, so I decided to just give er' and try it for myself. Caught 2 nice keepers (1.5lbs or so) and put the fillets in a beer/egg mixture, then into garlic and butter fish crisp. Fried in vegetable oil over the coleman stove and ate them up with my cousin on our campsite. Memorable meal for sure. I remember some folks on here mentioning to stay away from the belly meat, and I can see why now. I tried a bit of it didn't care for it. The fillets were fantastic, no grubs to be found. I'll be eating more of them in future for sure!

A guy once showed me what he called the "anal gland"

Basically it's the piece of meat near the anal vent that looks different than the rest of the fillets... maybe the size of a quarter

Cut that part out and the rest of the meat is good

That is what gives LM bass a funny taste in the belly meat

Tried SMB but for whatever reason (probably my cooking) it tasted very greasy. The one time I cut in to a LMB it had grubs in them and decided there are a lot better options for a feed so I don't bother with bass anymore.

Was in Temagami on the weekend and grilled walleye over the fire with a little spice around midnight. Was delicious. Not worth doing a report but here's a pic or two.

v7niWBD.jpg

WdTcBsL.jpg

PgCXoxz.jpg

Edited by Governator

I dont keep a ton of fish to eat........basically walleye only a couple times a year. Having said that, i was with a large group in the 1000 islands and everyone insisted we bring back some fish for "fry-day" and smallmouth were the target for the weekend so a buddy and I brought some back and cleaned them up for the group. All the while, kinda rolling our eyes as we cleaned these fish , after all these were not eyes' or perch we were about to put on their plates.

So, later that evening......the smallmouth came out the fryer......and everyone was raving how delicious it was. Sure enough, i dug in and low and behold........it was freakin outstanding. Whoda thunk.....

I dont keep a ton of fish to eat........basically walleye only a couple times a year. Having said that, i was with a large group in the 1000 islands and everyone insisted we bring back some fish for "fry-day" and smallmouth were the target for the weekend so a buddy and I brought some back and cleaned them up for the group. All the while, kinda rolling our eyes as we cleaned these fish , after all these were not eyes' or perch we were about to put on their plates.

So, later that evening......the smallmouth came out the fryer......and everyone was raving how delicious it was. Sure enough, i dug in and low and behold........it was freakin outstanding. Whoda thunk.....

I only tried SMB once and it tasted fine. I think key is cut it up and deep fry it.

Edited by huzzsaba

As good as muskie? :whistling:

Edited by JohnBacon

At one of the lodges we visited at the mid week fish fry there is a blind taste testing that's a tradition

All fish are breaded and battered and fried. You sample 1 to 4 pieces that were supposed to be pike, walleye, bass and whitefish.

You eat , guess and rank each piece.

My favorites blind ended up being Small mouth (swore it was walleye) pike then walleye and finally whitefish

Turned out there was no whitefish and my least favourite was also pike lol.

Now I have have bass and walleye grilled and much prefer walleye but think the lesson learned was fried right. They all taste the same

He said people are always amazed that a) they choose something other than walleye and B) they can't really tell the difference

Cheers

Gordy

The way my family has always cooked fish definitely shows the difference a lot more. Pike is definitely stronger tasting than walleye. Bass the meat is slightly different.

Im not much of a fish eater so when i do i try to simply hit the fish with some hires and throw it on the fire as is. If im doing this its gotta be walleye.

At one of the lodges we visited at the mid week fish fry there is a blind taste testing that's a tradition

All fish are breaded and battered and fried. You sample 1 to 4 pieces that were supposed to be pike, walleye, bass and whitefish.

Gordy

If it's battered and deep fried it all tastes the same. Try pan fried, baked or steamed and you will taste the diff.