London Muskie

DanD

Since the dam on the Thames here London has been out of commission more and more of the natural fish have been coming back.

Here a link to a urban shore fisher that caught and released a 39 inch muskie.

Leave the river alone and let it bring back all the fish that use its entire length.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/09/11/one-anglers-big-catch-stirs-more-dam-debate

Yeah maybe the dam had its purpose, after the flooding that happened in the 50; but since then I hope we've learned not to build dwellings on flood plains?

Dan.

Let it flow!

Dams cause way more problems in the long run than they end up fixing. The only reason we need flood control is because we're building to close to the river and not respecting the high-water flows that are needed at certain points of the year. Putting in a dam may 'fix' flooding problems, but you now have another piece of infrastructure that needs to be maintained, and people think they can safely build tight to the water because it's 'controlled'. The dam allows silt to accumulate, destroying fish habitat and eventually causing safety issues if not maintained. On large rivers damming the river prevents the silt from travelling to the outlet of the river, where it is needed to form barrier islands (ask New Orleans how that works after Katrina).

The Dutch have started an interesting project called 'Room for the River'. They don't view the river as something to be conquered or subdued, but rather have begun designating and creating flood plains to deal with the highest expected flows of the river. This does not prevent floods, but gives them somewhere to go. Plus the flood plains become green space the rest of the year for all to enjoy.

In the US there have been some interesting dam removal projects (the Elwha river is a notable one) and the return to natural landscape and the return of native wildlife has been much faster than was expected.

Could be a Tiger, the best way to tell is the fins. Regardless she's a fatty. I don't remember which has rounded pec fins and which has pointed. Wait let me go look at the one I have in the kitchen mounted, hold on a second I'll go look. Many Musky experts has seen my mount and say it is defiantly a Tiger, the fins are pointed not rounded. It is difficult to tell by the vertical bands ans they vary. Joe Martin from Hamilton did it in 82' when catch and release had not yet been invented. The thing looks as good as it did coming out of his shop 35 years ago. He was the best. I don't know if he is still with us. He was one of the best in North America and had the awards to prove it. Even then I remember paying over $400.00 for the mount. One of my most treasured possessions I have. It may have lasted this long because of all the moisture and oil splash from me pretending to be a chef.

Could be a Tiger, the best way to tell is the fins. Regardless she's a fatty. I don't remember which has rounded pec fins and which has pointed. Wait let me go look at the one I have in the kitchen mounted, hold on a second I'll go look. Many Musky experts has seen my mount and say it is defiantly a Tiger, the fins are pointed not rounded. It is difficult to tell by the vertical bands ans they vary. Joe Martin from Hamilton did it in 82' when catch and release had not yet been invented. The thing looks as good as it did coming out of his shop 35 years ago. He was the best. I don't know if he is still with us. He was one of the best in North America and had the awards to prove it. Even then I remember paying over $400.00 for the mount. One of my most treasured possessions I have. It may have lasted this long because of all the moisture and oil splash from me pretending to be a chef.

Pure strain muskies have pointed fins. Pike & tiger muskies have rounded fins.

That is 100% a tiger, rounded fin tips, as John said is a dead giveaway. There's been a steady increase in catches of both tigers and pure strains in London in the last few years including fish near and over the 50" mark.

I agree the increased water quality with the absence of Springbank dam is a big factor in these fish showing up.

Josh

I'm sorry here but who gives a crap what this fish is!

Its a fish that hasn't been in this area for a long time; let alone its size.

Seeing a predator fish back in this area, means there's more food {Bait fish} available.

How did they get here/there; no DAMS to stop them.

Yeah I used to run my 14 footer up the river when the dam was still functioning. Lots of water all the way to the forks,. But it was still water lots of algae and if you did catch something it didn't look healthy.

Leave the river alone and work around what it wants.

Dan.

Dan, I remember fishing Springbank Dam for Salmon in late August and September. Most years, there was a run of shad so thick, you could walk across the river on their backs. I'm assuming that that musky has followed the shad up the river and has been gorging on them all the way up.

I still think the Carp are pretty nervous!

HH

Most of these Musky and Tigers being caught have definitely followed the shad upstream in the fall. Thankfully, downstream of Springbank park is no the stagnant, stinky brown, oxygen depleted River that is was. There's plenty of food, good wintering water and a fair amount of suitable suitable spawning habitat in the London area. It's great to see these fish that have been taking up residence here and I can only hope the population continues to grow and they begin to successfully reproduce in the area.

Josh

Edited by J Roelofsen