Wolsley bay/French river slow fishing

firebird

Just got back from fishing 3 days and it was slow. Had a few friends filling 3 boats and the fishing was poor. Some smallmouth, rock bass, small pike, a few picks, and some muskie follows and loses. I took my limit of picks home but I was the only one. It was a new spot to all of us but I was expecting better, I was told the water was a lot higher than usual and it had been raining a few days before we got there.

My son and I spent 5 days at Lochaven Lodge (just upriver from Wolsey Bay) two weeks ago. Two days before we arrived the river went up over 2 feet. This was a result of opening the Chaudiere dams. I've experienced this a few times, and every time it really screws up the fishing. Apparently "they" never heard of the word "gradual". Very maddening to take a long trip and have this just precede you.

In any case, the typical shoreline bays and points in 6-15' of water were extremely unproductive. We managed a few pike and bass (only 14" largest). The guides, and knowledgeable guests, only found consistent fishing deep water (30-40').

I'd be curious to hear if others have similar thoughts on the water fluctuations on the French below the Chaudiere dams.

That being said, on Labor Day, a Lochaven guest, fishing with guide Josh, caught a 55" muskie...they were targeting them.

weird time of year as well in that area, a few really cold nights has changed the fishing entirely within the last 3 weeks.

Labor day the lake was absolutely on fire the fish were almost on shore and smashing everything up tight, and this past weekend the same kind of spots were absolutely barren. I had to move out into deep water on sunken islands and slow everything right down. The drop shot bite was actually pretty decent.

The walleye fishing right now is gonna be really tough as the fish are moving out of summer into their fall pattern that will hold until december.

I was fishing water that was 60 this past weekend!!! brrrrrrrr

Edited by AKRISONER

Seemed like walters were sitting in 60' holes at about 45' on the steep side and were moving up into 25-30' at night. Got mine all off white whistler and yellow twisters, and worms didn't catch one.

Muskies were suspended in the deep holes off the sunken weeds and islands. Had some right up to the boat.

Ive fished different stretches of the french in mid october and the pickerel fishing was always good.

We just did 6 days on Trout Lake in Alban, with a group of 6 guys. 3 of our guys only caught two fish all week, we fished over 6 hours a day. One guy took 3 days to get his first fish, and wound up with 4. I had about 16 bass and pike on the week, but I was disappointed with even that.

We're at Memqusit now and has been real slow going, but just got here on Saturday. So,e friends of ours are in another cabin up here and it's been slow for em as well. Will see how she goes, we're here for this week then heading down to the French river for next week, We typically do fairly well down there - but we shall see. Great weather though.

Depth finder said surface temp was 65 and was a degree each side through Wolsey and the north channel. We were fishing 6-8hrs a day aswell. Oh well that's how it goes sometimes but unfortunately because of that and the water fluctuation I won't be running back

Will see how she goes next week as I'll be on the North Channel. Very slow here on the west arm. One follow Sunday am, and haven't seen a thing since. We'll keep going, maybe something will change. Weather looks fairly consistent thru middle of next week from what I am hearing.

Heading to main channel tomorrow. Will report as soon as I am back.

I am back from French. We camp on main channel.

What a trip that was - summer weather and pretty decent fishing. Wife with 2 daughters(2 and 6 years old) were enjoying it as much as i did.

Water level was high - definitely at least 3 feet higher then a month ago. I mostly jig for walleyes in short 2-3 hours session during morning and evening.

Caught a plenty of them every time i was out - simple worm on jig was working the best. Switching to blade bait was delivering a bigger fish but less bites. I found fish to be a little bit deeper from 35 fow to 60 fow.