Very impressive sight.

lew

Out working in the yard this afternoon and hear this roar coming towards me and look up to see a CF-18 Hornet flying right above the house.

Couple months ago I saw 2 others flying overhead early on a Sunday morning.

Extremely impressive to see & hear them flying by and good to know these guys (and ladies) are keeping us all safe.

They may be delivering Horton's to our southern neighbors. Kidding, I love it. Being on the lakeshore we regularly get both Canuck and Yank military aircraft as they must use the shoreline as a land mark. I can hear the Lancaster from coming from Munroe miles away. Imagine a group of 50 or more flying overhead, I can't. That must have been terrifying for the Europeans.

Heard and saw a Blackhawk last week. Free airshows are fantastic eh Lou?

Free airshows are fantastic eh Lou?

One of the very few things I miss about living in Toronto was watching the old warplanes, including the Lancaster, flying around the city for a few days prior to the airshow.

My Mom's brother was a bomber pilot during the war and was killed when his plane went down but unfortunately I don't know what kind of plane it was....maybe even a Lancaster ??

During my Navy days we worked with the Bonnie alot and it was a real sight watching the planes taking off and landing not too far away from us.

Edited by lew

I remember the Hamilton air shows from years past, my grandparents lived in line with the end of the runway so we could sit there and watch everything come over. I can remember seeing the Stealth Bomber one year, paratrooper shows, wing walkers, and snowbirds. It's unfortunate that it's been downsized so much these days, but still great to see them flying the museum aircraft quite often. Watched the Harvard take off this morning and the Cornell was up later on in the day.

I think the plane that made the biggest impression on me was the year they had an A-10 Warthog come up for the show - you know, the one with the massive gattling gun sticking out the nose. My grandparent's place was surrounded by sod fields, but they had a border of mature trees around the property. We knew the A-10 was in the air and could hear it flying around the property, but could not see it. This pilot was having fun flying just over treetop level and was circling around just out of sight. We could hear him coming around for another pass and figured he would once again loop around out of sight when BAM the warthog blasted over the border of mature trees and came right over top of us. He was gone in seconds, but it really gave me the impression of the terror that one must feel when they're being hunted by an A-10.

Lancaster is also a favorite. They used to follow a route down the Grand River to Erie quite often, and I know from personal experience that when those 4 Merlin engines are turning you can in fact hear it over the noise of the diesel tractor you're driving. I can only imagine what a squadron of them would have sounded like.

Maybe there's some sorta military exercise going on as 2 more Hornets just passed directly above the house again but watching them and hearing the roar never gets old.

Did you take up fishing again Lew? Tell us you at least boated one muskie this season.

Nope, no more muskies for me Drew, my fishing days are far behind me now and the funny thing is I don't miss it at all.

...weird eh ?? LOL.

Edited by lew

Used to live in Wichita, KS, air capital of the world. Seeing and hearing these types of planes was a normal occurrence. One day however,when we were at home, we felt a vibration like an earthquake but nothing in sight, until a few mins later, a B2 stealth bomber flies over our apartment complex. incredible sight, and definitely not a frequent one!

Edited by huzzsaba

Maybe there's some sorta military exercise going on as 2 more Hornets just passed directly above the house again but watching them and hearing the roar never gets old.

Nope, no more muskies for me Drew, my fishing days are far behind me now and the funny thing is I don't miss it at all.

...weird eh ?? LOL.

Yep I hear ya....I fished once last year and not at all this year and like you I don`t really miss it either!!!

...weird eh ?? LOL.

Yes, it is weird. That's fishing and a fish that grows on ya BIG time... but plenty of us don't have those years of it you do.

Well, gotta head out muskie fishing now... and tomorrow. ;)

I live on a hill out in the country - about a mile down the road was a neighbor who had a son who was a pilot in the Marine Corps - he flew a Harrier jet - this neighbor's house was down at the bottom of a hill and a lot lower than my house - the neighbor called me one day and said that her son was taking a Harrier jet up to a air show being held outside of Wilkes-Barre Pa.and that he was going to fly over their house on his way up to the show - she told me about the time that he would be flying over

It happened to be my grandson's birthday that day and he was staying with me for part of the day - I told him that I had a special birthday present for him

We were out in the yard looking toward the south over a lake down the road and saw this speck coming towards us - pretty soon this jet flew over the neighbor's house and over my yard so low I could have hit the plane with a rock - he circled around a second time - came over the yard and waved to us - and then headed up north - we could clearly see him in the cockpit - sure are impressive when you see them that close - I like the new planes but somehow the old WWII planes hold a certain charm for me - being that I was a kid during that war and had a model of just about every plane hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom

I can hear the Lancaster from coming from Munroe miles away. Imagine a group of 50 or more flying overhead, I can't. That must have been terrifying for the Europeans.

Where I live in Niagara Falls must be right under the Lancasters flight path when they do member flights, hear and see it every Saturday over the summer pretty much.

My father grew up in Holland during WWII, and if he is over when the Lanc fly's past he just looks up and says now imagine the sky filled with Lancasters flying overhead, hundreds of them, you just don't hear them you would also feel them in your bones.