NF Tire Guys - 225/65R16 Caravan rim = 225/55R16?

Raycaster

(NON-FISHING sorry)

Bought some tire/rims off kijiji and got home before realizing they aren't exactly the same.

My current tires are 225/65/R16 and I bought a used set of 4 @ 225/55/R16.

I just need the rims (Have a good set of winter tires without rims) and I'm pretty sure they are the right bolt pattern.

Just wondering if the 55 - 66 is a tire spec and not really a rim detail.

Thanks ahead.

(NON-FISHING sorry)

Bought some tire/rims off kijiji and got home before realizing they aren't exactly the same.

I just need the rims (Have a good set of winter tires without rims) and I'm pretty sure they are the right bolt pattern.

Thanks ahead.

If you just need the rims and not the tires they will be fine, assuming you are confident that the bolt pattern is correct. If they are good tires keep them or resell them. the only difference is the height. The second number 55 or 65 is the aspect ratio meaning that the height is either 65% or 55% of the tire width...PM me if you have any other questions..

If I'm not mistaken the second number 55 or 65 is the thickness ratio of the width of the tire. Yep, just the height. The rim would be identical. A 255 tire will not fit a 215 rim for example.

Yep, the 1st number is Width, in this case the tire is 225mm wide, the 2nd number is the profile of the sidewall as a % of the Width, 65 for the current ones would be a profile of 146.25mm from the inside edge (Where the Tire meets the Rim) to the outside edge (Tire Thread) while the "new" tires with the profile of 55 would be 123.75mm, the R Number is the Rim size in Inches, in this case it's 16 Inch Rims for both sets.

Googled to make sure I'm correct:

https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/en-US/tire-basics/tire-size

Tire Width

Is the width of the tire measured in millimeters from sidewall to sidewall. The first three-digit number in the tire size refers to the tire width. For instance, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the width is 215 millimeters.

Aspect Ratio
Is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.
Wheel Diameter
Is the size of the wheel measured from one end to the other. It tells us the size of the wheel that the tire is intended to fit. A size P215/65 R15 tire is made for a wheel with a 15" diameter.

Edited by Lord Letto

If I were a betting man (which I am) providing the bolt pattern and centre hub match up up you'll be fine. You can typically go a little lower profile with no trouble, going bigger is a often somewhat trickier as it leads to rubbing issues.

(NON-FISHING sorry)

Thanks ahead.

Lots of replies which are all technically correct but Raycaster clearly stated he wants to mount his current tires on the new rims so the new tire size is really not the question. He is not planning to mismatch or run the lower profile tires. Both sets of tires are the same diameter (16") and same width (225 mm) so assuming the wheel offset and bolt pattern are the same the rims should be fine. The 55 vs 65 aspect ratio has no bearing on it.

Edited by G.mech