Truck buying advice

pike slayer

I'm currently thinking about upgrading to a newer truck. I currently have a 2004 nissan titan. I have a work van I drive Monday-Friday supplied through work. So my truck basically sits all week. I use my truck on the weekends for hunting and fishing,doing side jobs and picking up building material and driving in the winter. I only put 10,000km a year on my truck but when I am using it I'm actually using it has a truck. it never sees the shopping mall. I pull a trailer around 5000lb haul atvs and snowmobiles in the box. I recently test drove a 2014 ram 2500 and I love it. I don't really need a 3/4 ton but I want a real man's truck. I could also go out and get a brand new 2017 ram 1500 for the same price as the 2500. I feel like what I do with my titan is at the max it should do for towing and payload. I feel like the perfect truck is the new titan xd which is a 5/8 ton but it's definitely out my price range. I'm looking around the 30k price. I'm not brand loyal and I don't need all bells and whistles just the basics. Fuel economy is not high on my priority list because of the amount of km I put on a year. So what should I get? Opinions?

There is something to be said for a 3/4 ton, more stable and capable when loaded, you don't have to think twice(within reason). For the number of times (twice a year) I tow the travel trailer to and from the campground, a couple of trips with the ATV/enclosed cargo trailer and boat, the 1/2 ton does fine. If I were younger and more adventurous, I'd probably still drive the mighty Cummins.

I have had zero problems with my 1/2 ton Chevy. You are going to get all sorts of advice here as to which is best amongst all the brands and models available. I have a pal out here that does what you do, he uses his 3/4 ton truck as a truck, 2015 F-250, hunting and dragging Moose out of the woods, hauling the ATV's, sleds, towing boat, 5th wheel. Don't tell anyone but I like it, a lot. Don't get me wrong I love my Chevy. I think my head would explode if I was in the market for a new truck with all the opinions just here on OFC. I feel Rams are pretty but personally I wouldn't pay for the plastic dashboard imitating burled Walnut and for coolers under the floorboards in the back seats. Lots of show and no go in my most honest and humble opinion. When I shop for anything I buy what I feel is the best bang for my buck. In 011' I paid around 12K less for my Chevy than Jim next door paid for his F-150. If the Ford was priced like the Silverado I may have bought that instead.

Good luck, I'm jealous too.

I had a 2007 RAM 1500 and liked it but got costly. My father has had a few RAM 3500's as he has a 5th wheel trailer. He's never owned a Ford truck till well, last week. Ford offered him $5,500 more on his trade in than Dodge was too so at the end of it he went with the 2017 F350. Keep in mind where you park it when shopping. My dad had to take the upper door trim off the garage and even cut the antenna down so the new F350 can fit in his garage. Good luck with the hunt.

I believe in 95% of them time you get what you pay for. With rams being the cheapest truck out there you are more then likely paying for what you get. The ram 2500 has the lowest resale in the 3/4 ton market which is good for me because I can afford a good used one. What I want to know is if I should get a 1/2ton and be hard on it or get a 3/4 and what I ask from it do it with ease or look at different brands and options that would suit my needs better.

Putting only 10K a year on your truck like you do now I would seriously consider a lease. Then get a brand spankin' new truck of your choice every 3 years. Oh that new truck smell, mmmmmmmm. When we move back to civilization and my wife isn't traveling over an hour to and from work I will then lease a very nice ride and keep my Chevy to pull the boat and take road trips. I'm the kind of guy that keeps a vehicle well cared for and drive it for 10 years, more if I can. My wife's 07' Nissan has 325,000 KM on it but doesn't look it. Look at a lease.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The best truck is the one you like. They all are good nowadays. My F150 replaced a titan easily and it has better tow capacity and mileage. Slightly used truck will be a good bet for you since you have such low mileage demands and it will save you the initial purchase price. I have a 2012 with 28,ooo miles on it and expect it to last quite a long time between good maintenance and it being a second truck for my business. As far as leasing it is a suckers bet you are paying out money and have no asset at the end of the lease. Most vehicles can go 50,ooo miles minimum before need a repair if you maintain them.

Art

I went from a 2014 Titan Pr0 4x to a 2017 Ram 1500 Basic SXT package crew cab, the the extra $$ saved by going with the SXT I customized the truck with a proper lift kit (2") and proper off road tires/rims and a few other things to make it some what capible on the logging/bush roads. Only 6000km on it but no complaints .

I went from a 2014 Titan Pr0 4x to a 2017 Ram 1500 Basic SXT package crew cab, the the extra $$ saved by going with the SXT I customized the truck with a proper lift kit (2") and proper off road tires/rims and a few other things to make it some what capible on the logging/bush roads. Only 6000km on it but no complaints .

So you went from Ram, to Titan, back to a Ram. Interesting. LOL

45k on my 2014 bud. No complaints. Driving this one to the grave.

I believe in 95% of them time you get what you pay for. With rams being the cheapest truck out there you are more then likely paying for what you get. The ram 2500 has the lowest resale in the 3/4 ton market which is good for me because I can afford a good used one. What I want to know is if I should get a 1/2ton and be hard on it or get a 3/4 and what I ask from it do it with ease or look at different brands and options that would suit my needs better.

I knew what I wanted and wanted to pay. I got what I wanted.

SIMPLE TRUCK

Try getting that from a Ford or Gm dealer.

It doesnt sound like you need a 3/4 ton to me. A half ton will easily do what you want, the amount of times you need to do it. Now if you were a contractor hauling around a full load, and towing a big trailer with equipment, then sure.....

S.

I'm currently thinking about upgrading to a newer truck. I currently have a 2004 nissan titan. I have a work van I drive Monday-Friday supplied through work. So my truck basically sits all week. I use my truck on the weekends for hunting and fishing,doing side jobs and picking up building material and driving in the winter. I only put 10,000km a year on my truck but when I am using it I'm actually using it has a truck. it never sees the shopping mall. I pull a trailer around 5000lb haul atvs and snowmobiles in the box. I recently test drove a 2014 ram 2500 and I love it. I don't really need a 3/4 ton but I want a real man's truck. I could also go out and get a brand new 2017 ram 1500 for the same price as the 2500. I feel like what I do with my titan is at the max it should do for towing and payload. I feel like the perfect truck is the new titan xd which is a 5/8 ton but it's definitely out my price range. I'm looking around the 30k price. I'm not brand loyal and I don't need all bells and whistles just the basics. Fuel economy is not high on my priority list because of the amount of km I put on a year. So what should I get? Opinions?

I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado regular cab 2500 HD 6 litre v8....55,000 KMS....29,999.00 or if you prefer Ram I got a 2016 SXT 5.7 V8 back up camera...tow package...crew cab...truck only has 150 KMS so essentially new....29,998.00....PM me if you are interested....

Edited by lookinforwalleye