Eyes to the skies tonite

dave524

https://www.space.com/38057-sun-unleashes-decades-strongest-solar-flare.html

This kind of stuff can have catastrophic effects, a repeat of the Carrington Event of 1859 would have dire repercussions in this modern high tech age with computer control of virtual every aspect of our lives including the power grid. Read up, the effects of climate change pales in comparison to what a repeat of 1859 could do. Several of the large scale power outages of my lifetime are due to these events. I've been a shortwave listener for over thirty years so when the bands were dead this morning I knew something big was up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/110302-solar-flares-sun-storms-earth-danger-carrington-event-science/

OK, so nada, nothing, I sit here all worried because Sue has a pacemaker/ICD which communicates through cell phone with the hospital so they can monitor her heart function. I've been watching CTV waiting for some news because I'm worried that wireless communications could go out, I sure hope this wasn't someone's idea of a joke, cause a night without sleep sure isn't funny to me. Just how serious is this supposed "9.3" and how does it compare to what was supposed to happen today?

It has to be all true Cliff, after all it was on the Internet so it must be real news not the fake stuff. My sis in law lives in a suburb of West Palm Beach, she won't evacuate because of her pet birds and it has my wife wrought with worry. That Hurricane Irma and the one right behind her is real news. Irma is the size of Texas. When I read something on the net I have to confirm it with second and third sources unfortunately, and not Fox.

I've had my eyes to the skies the last few nights,1am, 3am, up late or up early depending on which way you look at it but I haven't seen any sign of anything. Moons been bright though at times, might ruin any sign of northern lights. Can't imagine the streetlights help either.

Around 15 years ago a pal was travelling back from Pittsburg on the US side and called me here at the cottage on Erie. He asked if I could see the Northern Lights, this was in the middle of the afternoon in the summer, yea right Bud you must be bored. Sure enough they were over the lake. I told my neighbour who told her neighbour and before you knew it there we are all staring at the sky. Lasted for only 20 minutes I believe. Only the second time I have seen them and never knew you can see them during daylight hours. They are the definition of Wonderful.