Vehicle Maintenance PSA!!!

DRIFTER_016

The air we breathe is like 77 % Nitrogen if I recall , should be the same using any compressor. :dunno:

Yes, and if their claims that it's the oxygen and not the nitrogen leaks from the tire; nitrogen content should increase and eventually approach pure nitrogen as you top up your tires.

The air we breathe is like 77 % Nitrogen if I recall , should be the same using any compressor. :dunno:

Dave there was scam that was popular 10 years or so ago where for 20 bucks the gas station would fill your tires with pure nitrogen like NASCAR and that it was going to prevent tires heating and rubber deterioration type failures. It was snake oil for sure.

Here is a link to an expanded explanation

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19353980/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/dont-fall-nitrogen/

Art

Dave there was scam that was popular 10 years or so ago where for 20 bucks the gas station would fill your tires with pure nitrogen like NASCAR and that it was going to prevent tires heating and rubber deterioration type failures. It was snake oil for sure.

Here is a link to an expanded explanation

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19353980/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/dont-fall-nitrogen/

Art

Still a popular up sell here Art. $5.00 a tire. Many unscrupulous shops are putting fear into their customers that they can not put air in their tires after they are inflated with nitrogen! I explain to as many as 5-10 customers a week that good old generic air with its 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen is just fine.........but some still like the pretty green dust caps that they put on their valves..

Edited by John

Still a popular up sell here Art. $5.00 a tire. Many unscrupulous shops are putting fear into their customers that they can not put air in their tires after they are inflated with nitrogen! I explain to as many as 5-10 customers a week that good old generic air with its 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen is just fine.........but some still like the pretty green dust caps that they put on their valves..

I have found that in some cases that peace of mind is worth the price. I have people who want one supply tube over another even after you explain that the less expensive one is just as good in the application that we are using them for. Once I tell them my conscience is clear and they get to use the one they want.

Art

I had a tag stuck to my wind screen saying I get free top ups of N2 from any GM dealer. I went into my (former) GM dealer because I got a low tire warning on my Silverado and they laughed at me. No N2 on site. I never went back to them again for my service. So far it's cost them about 500 bucks for the giggles. At our elevation 21% O2 and balance is hot air from a GM dealer.