Sault Ste. Marie fishing

Huntress87

Hey everyone I'm new to the board but have been an avid fisherman for a long time... Im planning on heading up to Sault Ste. Marie the first week of October to target trout and salmon.. Its going to be a 9 hour drive me so I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction and possibly give me a couple tips on the area and where to fish. I'll be float fishing and tossing spoons and help is appreciated... thanks ?

Hey everyone I'm new to the board but have been an avid fisherman for a long time... Im planning on heading up to Sault Ste. Marie the first week of October to target trout and salmon.. Its going to be a 9 hour drive me so I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction and possibly give me a couple tips on the area and where to fish. I'll be float fishing and tossing spoons and help is appreciated... thanks

Tyler Dunn at one time posted here, I recall he guided and seemed to do well , google him and maybe book him as a guide to learn the ropes on the St. Marys River as I assume that is where you'll fish salmon and trout.

Edit: yes he still is guiding http://www.tylerdunnguiding.ca/

Edited by dave524

Check your regulations and open seasons. Speckles in the rivers usually close labour day weekend or Sept 15th latest. October may also be too late for salmon run. A buddy has done the trip twice, with success in mid August. Atlantics in the St Marys River were his interest, but also went north to Agawa, Sand & Montreal rivers. He spoke with the fly fishing/tackle shop guy right in SSMarie for advice.

Thank you for the info :) ....I'm most likely going to head up in September so I can still catch the pink and Atlantic salmon, I might be alittle late but it's worth a shot... thanks again for the great tips :)

Check your regulations and open seasons. Speckles in the rivers usually close labour day weekend or Sept 15th latest. October may also be too late for salmon run. A buddy has done the trip twice, with success in mid August. Atlantics in the St Marys River were his interest, but also went north to Agawa, Sand & Montreal rivers. He spoke with the fly fishing/tackle shop guy right in SSMarie for advice.

Salmon and rainbows in the rapids downtown.

Warm waders and felt soles are a must.

Not much in the way of float fishing there unless you want to end up in lake Huron.

Every gate is open. You almost need earplugs to dim the roar.

There is rainbow fishing in the rivers up north of the Sault but read the regs as some rivers can be closed.

Again its wader country.

Talk to Orst at the trading post on 17 North. he will sell you stuff and point you in the right direction