Thinking of getting a Drone

JoePa

I'm thinking of getting a drone - mostly to look at things around the area where I live - since I live in the country I won't be bothering any neighbors - it would allow me to look over my property and adjoining land - the question I have - can I fly it in Canada and take pictures when I'm fishing up there - anyone have any thoughts - thanks - Joe

Flying your drone safely and legally

From Transport Canada

For more details on flying your drone safely and legally refer to the Recreational and non-recreational drone operations - Frequently Asked Questions.

This page provides specific rules and guidelines on how to fly a recreational drone (also called a model aircraft) safely and legally. It also helps you understand laws that apply to all recreational and non-recreational drone operations.

On this page Rules for recreational drones

If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g and up to 35 kg, you do not need special permission from Transport Canada to fly.

The list below is an overview of the new rules for recreational drone users. Consult the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft for the full list of provisions. You are exempt from these rules if you operate your recreational drone at a Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) sanctioned field or event.

Following the basic safety rules below will help keep people, aircraft and property safe. If you fly where you are not allowed or choose not to follow the rules below, you could face fines of up to $3,000.

Fly your drone:
  • below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 250 g up to 1 kg)
  • at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 1 kg up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base, or areas where aircraft take-off and land)
  • at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where operation could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself or closer
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address, and telephone number
Tips for recreational drone users (drones under 250 g)
  • Fly your drone during daylight and in good weather.
  • Keep your drone where you can see it with your own eyes – not through an on-board camera, monitor or smartphone.
  • Make sure your drone is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself, for example: Are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?
  • Respect the privacy of others. Avoid flying over private property or taking photos or videos without permission.

Non-recreational drone: If you fly a non-recreational drone for any type of work or research, or if it weighs more than 35 kg, you must get a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). The SFOC tells you how and where you are allowed to use your UAV. The only exception to this requirement is for operations conducted under the Transport Canada exemptions.

For more information on the SFOC and exemptions, read Getting permission to fly your drone.

Legal requirements

When flying a UAV (non-recreational drone) in Canada, you must:

• follow the rules in the Canadian Aviation Regulations:
  • respect the Criminal Code, your provincial Trespass Act, as well as all applicable municipal, provincial, and territorial laws that apply

When flying a model aircraft (recreational drone) in Canada you must:

Transport Canada inspectors investigate reports of unsafe and illegal drone use. We may involve local police if other laws (e.g., the Criminal Code and privacy laws) have been broken.

You could face serious consequences – including up to $25,000 in fines and/or jail time – if you:

• put aircraft at risk
  • fly where you are not allowed
  • endanger anyone’s safety

For example:

• If you fly your drone recreationally where you are not allowed or choose not to follow any of the rules outlined in the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft you could face fines of up to $3,000.
  • If you fly a UAV without an SFOC and should have one, we may fine up to $5,000 for a person and $25,000 for a corporation.
  • If you do not follow the requirements of your SFOC, we may fine up to $3,000 for a person and $15,000 for a corporation.
New regulations

Transport Canada is proposing new regulations to address the safety requirements, growing popularity and economic importance of drones. Proposed changes include:

• new flight rules
  • aircraft marking and registration requirements
  • knowledge testing
  • minimum age limits
  • pilot permits for certain operations

Learn more about the Proposed rules for drones in Canada.

Please, no. I am so sick of seeing these things all over the place. Drones allow one person to project their presence onto an entire landscape, decreasing the enjoyment of the other folks that have made an effort to get there. I am sure that most operators are well-intentioned, but that doesn't change the ever-increasing presence of these mechanical insects.

Please, no. I am so sick of seeing these things all over the place. Drones allow one person to project their presence onto an entire landscape, decreasing the enjoyment of the other folks that have made an effort to get there. I am sure that most operators are well-intentioned, but that doesn't change the ever-increasing presence of these mechanical insects.

Ha.

If you can enjoy the outdoors the way you want to, why should someone else not be able to enjoy it the way they want to?

Hahaha about 6 weeks ago someone was filming me fish. Was kinda funny for a minute but for an hour it was quite the annoyance

No idea who was filming my either???? I could see the operator.

I'd love one though, and I love seeing the footage.

I think used for documenting personal things etc it would be a blast!

I'd fly one here no prob!