First of the Year!

FloatnFly

After a long day, and a longer week at work, I headed out for some much needed alone time on the creek. Water was crystal clear, so that meant light line, had to drop down to 6lb tippet to avoid them swimming around my line. My skills were put to the test. tied on a self made spey fly, and headed to my favourite pool

targetting the fish at the back end of the pool, this guy came from 10ft away from the front of the pool to smash my fly! fish on!

21192805_10155844694593606_3336106323306

nice healthy male, just starting to develop the kype!

21192387_10155844694633606_8615303424677

I thought they wouldn't be line shy if they were aggressive.

I wanna try swinging salmon streamers this fall.

They are, I started with 10lb, then 8lb and finally 6lb they stopped swimming around my line. The more fish that move in a pool the more spooked they get. So you don't really want them swimming around your line

They are, I started with 10lb, then 8lb and finally 6lb they stopped swimming around my line. The more fish that move in a pool the more spooked they get. So you don't really want them swimming around your line

care to share your salmon fly set up with a newbie? Im still figuring things out. if youd prefer PM please feel free to shoot me a message!

I was out last night, my buddys were catching small bows on their floats but it was a challenge to get them to take a fly. they were nipping but wouldnt commit.

the spot seems very promising for salmon once they really start running.

Edited by AKRISONER

care to share your salmon fly set up with a newbie? Im still figuring things out. if youd prefer PM please feel free to shoot me a message!

I was out last night, my buddys were catching small bows on their floats but it was a challenge to get them to take a fly. they were nipping but wouldnt commit.

the spot seems very promising for salmon once they really start running.

I have no problem sharing. I use a 9ft 8wt rod, set the drag loose, so that the bend of the rod pulls it when the hook is in the holder. Then I use my hand on the reel to add pressure as needed. Tippett size I find is dependent on water clarity. Super clear water, down size, like I said above, I was using 6lb fluorocarbon tapered leader. Using a Spey fly, or intruder style fly, just target a section of the pool at a time, just strip it it across the pool, careful not to foul hook. You'll also get strikes when it rolls off the backs of other fish.

Be patient, have fun, be ready to let the drag go at the bite or hook set. With proper gear, and a good hook set, you can control the fish easy enough, just have to wait out the initial runs and jumps and be prepared to give chase, don't get caught in a spot you can't easily move out of

I have no problem sharing. I use a 9ft 8wt rod, set the drag loose, so that the bend of the rod pulls it when the hook is in the holder. Then I use my hand on the reel to add pressure as needed. Tippett size I find is dependent on water clarity. Super clear water, down size, like I said above, I was using 6lb fluorocarbon tapered leader. Using a Spey fly, or intruder style fly, just target a section of the pool at a time, just strip it it across the pool, careful not to foul hook. You'll also get strikes when it rolls off the backs of other fish.

Be patient, have fun, be ready to let the drag go at the bite or hook set. With proper gear, and a good hook set, you can control the fish easy enough, just have to wait out the initial runs and jumps and be prepared to give chase, don't get caught in a spot you can't easily move out of

many blessings sir!

ill be chasing some zombies until the upper river closes at the end of the month! Theres no way in hell you will catch me down at the erindale gongshow

Edited by AKRISONER

many blessings sir!

ill be chasing some zombies until the upper river closes at the end of the month! Theres no way in hell you will catch me down at the erindale gongshow

Lol I hear ya there, I enjoy the solitude on my creek. Will never catch me at port hope in the fall.

Lol I hear ya there, I enjoy the solitude on my creek. Will never catch me at port hope in the fall.

i cant be bothered to river fish in a crowd id rather spend my time doing something else.

Last week the homies wanted to fish norval...wading surrounded by bramptonites netting big chubs to take home for dinner is not worth it.

Snuck out to a more secluded spot and it was just us three with no one around, and plenty of juveniles, a much much better time.