Walleye slam fest!

limeyangler

Hi all,

Been out to my favourite walleye hunting grounds a few times this summer. Took a buddy from way back with me a couple times too. Nothing fancy, just jigs and large sucker minnows vertically jigged wherever the fish were marked on the screen, typically between14' and 26' FOW. The bite has been decent all summer but is really heating up now.

Edited by limeyangler

Simon, that's "the day"

They only come around so often and boy is it fun!

Awesome video! Obviously an amazing time. Kudos

I had days like that but it's few and far between. My most memorable was shore fishing with my oldest daughter. In 2-3 hours we caught maybe 20-30 Walters all 25"-32". The planets just aligned. I'll never forget that day

You have yours on video!

Also, anyone doubting big sucker minnows for walleye is a fool. I'll go right up to 7-8" and those walleyes go nuts on em in spring and fall(maybe summer too but I don't recall trying)

Thanks for the vid man! That was exciting!

Edited by manitoubass2

Simon, that's "the day"

I had days like that but it's few and far between. My most memorable was shore fishing with my oldest daughter. In 2-3 hours we caught maybe 20-30 Walters all 25"-32". The planets just aligned. I'll never forget that day

You have yours on video!

Also, anyone doubting big sucker minnows for walleye is a fool. I'll go right up to 7-8" and those walleyes go nuts on em in spring and fall(maybe summer too but I don't recall trying)

Suckers will work for walleye in the summer here on Lake Erie, walleye seemed to be all I could catch on them, the smallies had a preference for golden shiners or emerald shiners, but the emeralds sold here were usually too small.

I have never seen a bait store near the lakefront here selling suckers, it was catch your own.

They sell em here but rarely are they bought. Outside of tournies(bass), walleye are the main target.

And most people want medium minnows.

Big suckers are awesome for walleye. I was put on that by a buddy a few years back. Don't even use stinger hooks, just a 1-2-3 count

Edited by manitoubass2

For the most part you have to go to the lower half of the state here where muskie lakes are more common to find really big suckers or chubs for sale, most of those lakes also have a lot bigger catfish.

The sucker spawn and walleye spawn are pretty close together here, I think they adapt to eating them.

Awesome video as usual Simon!

Well I would call that a good trip! Nice work!

Thanks guys !

Simon, that's "the day"

You have yours on video!

Thanks Rick, not wanting to rub it in but 'those days' are more often than not the norm for Lac Seul when I go. We went back 2 days ago and history repeated itself. funny enough the spot that we were on in the video was completely devoid of fish except for pike and bass. We searched all afternoon and eventually one of my spots kicked off BIG TIME, we were just about ready to call it a day but could not bring ourselves to leave after working hard to find fish, THE BITE WAS INSANE...we ripped through 8 dozen suckers in an hour and a half.

Suckers will work for walleye in the summer here on Lake Erie, walleye seemed to be all I could catch on them, the smallies had a preference for golden shiners or emerald shiners, but the emeralds sold here were usually too small.

I have never seen a bait store near the lakefront here selling suckers, it was catch your own.

I could not get leeches for the recent bass tournament I did with my son a couple weeks back, so decided to try large suckers. They were all the bass would eat, we ended up running out 2 hours before the end, we needed to upgrade two small fish but the bigger ones wanted the suckers, we missed out on winning a boat by a pound or so ....DOH!

I guess it all depends on the lake and what the forage is, emerald shiners are thick in Erie, no wonder the bass key in on them.

They sell em here but rarely are they bought. Outside of tournies(bass), walleye are the main target.

And most people want medium minnows.

Big suckers are awesome for walleye. I was put on that by a buddy a few years back. Don't even use stinger hooks, just a 1-2-3 count

I hope that buddy you are referring to is me...lol...I brought 10 doz down when i visited with you and Harvey that day....lol...I left with none!

For the most part you have to go to the lower half of the state here where muskie lakes are more common to find really big suckers or chubs for sale, most of those lakes also have a lot bigger catfish.

The sucker spawn and walleye spawn are pretty close together here, I think they adapt to eating them.

Our bait shop here has a tank full of 12" suckers for the musky boys who come up in the fall, they either freelance them of under a large bobber i'm told.

Yeah, here it's Abit different. Suckers spawn a few weeks after ice out in the rivers, a few weeks later in the lakes.

Walleye spawn is right darn near the close of the spring season

Of course that all varies with the variables as per usual lol

Love watching the suckers in the creeks, so do the kids!

Wow, what an outing, great fishing! You've got yourself a top notch giant walleye factory!!!

Simon says "Catch the fish."

Simon says "Film the fish."

Simon says "Eat your hearts out."

I'm a lucky sod for sure.

Is that the Alumacraft Escape? How do you like it?

Its a great little boat, goes 30mph with 2 people with the 50hp Yammy, rod storage, big live well (sucks a bit that its at the front) side and front storage as well as 3 floor compartments. Good fishing 2, a little crowded with 3 but very doable still.

Yeah I think it was you! Originally I was thinking it was Stan vlotaros but that's awesome. Stan and I fish them often.

That's the game plan for Saturday too up in northwest bay!

Your not rubbing it in man, lac seul is friggin amazing when ya find em!

Big walleye around here the best bet is lac seul, rainy lake and lotws, no doubt!