Building a deck near Hanover - NF

Rizzo

Earlier this year we got a cottage up near Hanover. I did a couple small projects myself (couple of floating docks) but didn't really check around on price, just used Home Hardware for all the materials. No clue if I got a good price or got fleeced. Now we have a significant task...replacing a pretty big deck. I have been told to expect material costs to be around $5000. Much more than my $300 swim raft! Anyone have any thoughts on these two potential suppliers (HH or Rona) with respect to price or quality of lumber? Rona has a scratch and save this week-end but I am not quite ready to place the order yet as my material list isn't here from the contractor.

Using Ceder Rog? Thats a crazy number.

Its a crazy big deck Brian! I am going lower cost materials like pressure treated and basic wood spindles vs cedar and metal balusters. Been a bit since I did the measurements but I think its close to 700 square feet...oh ya...and its a good 8 feet off the ground too!

Also, check with your contractor for alternate sources? + contractor will likely get a discounted price?

Contractor is a buddy from Barrie, so he doesn't have any local contacts or accounts. But whichever one is more likely to give me "contractor pricing" will probably get the business! Heading up there Saturday. Hoping Rona will let me do a "scratch and save" if I open an account, and then add items to that account over the next week or so as the material needs become known. I know this much...crapload of 12 foot deckboards and a wack of 6x6x12's too! Anyone want to rent a cottage next year for their family let me know. Gotta pay for this fancy new deck somehow!

I've done quite well sending a list to the vendors and getting competitive quotes just like the contractors do. Make a clear list of all the materials you need and send it to all of them for pricing. Ask for a lump sum price on the whole lot but also ask for unit costs on each item just for reference (tell them you intend to buy the whole package though, they don't often appreciate 'cherry picking' only the best items). Most of the time you will get far better pricing than walking in off the street. Also, before you order, make sure the unit costs they provided will also apply for any additional material you may require. I saved almost 25% off the list prices when I bought all the fibre-cement siding and trim for my shop and shed a couple of years ago and they gave me free delivery to boot.

Edited by G.mech

When we bought our house on Snug Harbour I went to all the major building material suppliers and asked to open an account because I was going to be doing home renovations, it was a cash account so I just paid for everything as I bought it and so no credit applications or anything to fill out.

Each time I had any sort of project to do I did as G.mech suggested, made a list, sent it to each of them and got them to quote me on it. I wold pick the best quote for the lot but if there was any item that seemed priced high compared to the other quotes I'd go to the supplier I was going to deal with, explain that ABC had only quoted me X for it and could they match it? Very often they did, saved me a lot of money!

Most of the "real" lumber yards like Turkstra's will give you the list of materials needed within code if you give them a description and rough drawing of the deck. The big box guys may as well. If that deck has egress from a building a permit is required per the Ont. Building Code, no matter the size. I would get a permit for sure for a deck 8 feet high, I'm sure you are. I've seen the aftermath of what looked to be well built deck after it collapsed a few years at a fishing camp in NY, fire rescue ambulances and all. I can't count how many decks we have built in the last 40 years. As Mike says " Do it right". Home Hardware has a nice railing system for around 10 bucks a linear foot, I just ordered one. PT and vinyl clad spindles, low maintenance and nice and easy to install.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No idea how your lumber prices compare with ours stateside, but there was an article in the news here about lumber prices being high before Harvey hit because of all the new construction.

Years ago I built a deck around my pool, i used 4x4's with 2x8's to attach the deck boards to, with a lot of people and stuff on it at times I didn't want issues. Back the galvanized deck screws were the norm, after 15 years or so taking it down? They all snapped off from corrosion.

We just had a deck put out front, I am past my prime as a DYI guy, the new brown pressure treated looks real nice over the green stuff, I think these are the vinyl coated spindles that OI was talking about, and they used special screws for pressure treat, not galv but I think they were zinc phosphate coated from my years in the steel industry. Not 700 sq ft , heck our home isn't much over that. Eaves trough guy still has to show up

Posted Image20638210_10213919419048774_4610961641925126522_n by D T, on Flickr

nice looking deck Dave! Had a change of heart last night, will spend the couple hundred bucks more and do the metal balusters. Yours looks sweet...gonna do one like that (just 10 times bigger tho :)

Thanks, eavetrough guy just showed up to make a new downspout, and a run to the side street ditch, corner lot, and patch some siding that had to be removed, a metal gate is being built so we can sit out with the pooches in the evening without their leashes. Good luck with yours, wife and I were really impressed with the result here, the post caps and balusters really made it for us.

edit: the metal balusters and the predrilled rails come as a packaged kit I believe.

Edited by dave524

You're probably right on the zinc phosphate screws Dave, I bought whatever Home Depot was recommending at the time. Last time I was able to do anything like that they seemed to be pushing stainless steel deck screws. Since my deck was around my pool I cut deck boards and spaced them to use for balusters for a little more privacy.

I just built a deck for my families cottage. The materials came from HH and I couldn't be happier with their service. Free delivery and the prices are on par with the other big box stores.

Our deck was multiple sections across the front of the house and ended up being 27' long and 9' wide. Materials cost us $1900

Earlier this year we got a cottage up near Hanover. I did a couple small projects myself (couple of floating docks) but didn't really check around on price, just used Home Hardware for all the materials. No clue if I got a good price or got fleeced. Now we have a significant task...replacing a pretty big deck. I have been told to expect material costs to be around $5000. Much more than my $300 swim raft! Anyone have any thoughts on these two potential suppliers (HH or Rona) with respect to price or quality of lumber? Rona has a scratch and save this week-end but I am not quite ready to place the order yet as my material list isn't here from the contractor.

Have you checked with the local Amish/Mennonites in that area? I've heard they do a fine job at really reasonable rates.