Auto & Home Insurance Help (n/f)

Carp

Getting a new vehicle.

I called my insurance company and got quotes on 3 different vehicles.

All 3 were in the same price range (within $50 of each other).

I ended up choosing one of these 3 vehicles.

Called my insurance company to add the vehicle to the policy

and get confirmation so I can pick up the new wheels.

Now the price is $500 more and conviniently, they don't have any of the quotes on file.

To top it off, they're cancelling my home insurance too. :(

(giving me a month to find a new company)

The home insurance cancellation is what really bothers me.

Reason they gave was that I do some work from home and they won't insure the business I do.

(working on the computer and using a fax machine) :dunno:

Enough is enough.

If anyone has a line on decent insurance rates, I need help fast.

Live in Mississauga, ON.

Supposed to pick up the new vehicle tomorrow (Thurs. night),

or I may try and stall a bit to get insurance somewhere else.

I still can't believe these pinheads. :angry:

can't help you. Is there a bigger scam than car insurance? Pretty sure the only time you need it is if you kill someone or total your car. Scary how many tens of thousands I've paid into insurance to get nothing out. At least life insurance you get something when you die!

"I need the name of a reasonable insurance company"

Ha ha. There's no such thing. In fact there's no such thing as insurance anymore. It's just a legal loan these days. Unless you make a million dollar claim and win, they'll get their money back from you one way or another. Good luck.

I have been using Certas (used to be CIBC) for both my home and autos for years and have no complaints thus far. I get discounts for having both my House and 3 cars with them, and my rates have been going down instead of up.

www.certas.ca

Good luck

Gerritt.

Carp, try this site, www.insurancehotline.com, I saw it in the Star.

You go in and fill out all your particulars and it sends you the 3 cheapest quotes, but it also sends a message to the cheapest one that you are looking for insurance. A woman in Ajax from the cheapest quote, contacted me and my wife and I are now paying $43/month less than we were from the company we've been with since forever. We really noticed the differnce on our home insurance especially. We switched everything over to the new broker and told the other one to

p!ss up a rope.

I know you can get online quotes from two companies that are fairly reasonable. Belair Direct and President's Choice now has insurance too. I found both were pretty good at reasonable rates when I put my information in. It's easy and you just fill in the info they ask and you get a quote within minutes. I didn't end up going with either one yet as my son, who recently moved back home, is 24 <_< . A licenced male driver under 25 in the house hurts :( But next year I may switch over after his birthday. Right now Pilot Insurance has given me a half decent deal that includes him as a primary driver to one vehicle and a occasional driver of the other two. I also get my tentants and boat insurance through them, but I've been with them for many, many years, so not sure what a first time quote would be.

Just some info FYI. Hope this hleps :lol:

Joey

Getting a new vehicle.

I called my insurance company and got quotes on 3 different vehicles.

All 3 were in the same price range (within $50 of each other).

I ended up choosing one of these 3 vehicles.

Called my insurance company to add the vehicle to the policy

and get confirmation so I can pick up the new wheels.

Now the price is $500 more and conviniently, they don't have any of the quotes on file.

To top it off, they're cancelling my home insurance too. :(

(giving me a month to find a new company)

The home insurance cancellation is what really bothers me.

Reason they gave was that I do some work from home and they won't insure the business I do.

(working on the computer and using a fax machine) :dunno:

Enough is enough.

If anyone has a line on decent insurance rates, I need help fast.

Live in Mississauga, ON.

Supposed to pick up the new vehicle tomorrow (Thurs. night),

or I may try and stall a bit to get insurance somewhere else.

I still can't believe these pinheads. :angry:

You might want to try the company i'm with TD Meloche Monnex. It's a pretty good company and gives discounts to university grads. I pay about >$250 per month for 2 cars

If you are or your spouse is an Alumni graduate of Canadian universities, you will get the best rate in the industry with Meloche monex, another division of TDwaterhouse. No one can beat their price as what I have heard. Everything can be done on the phone. But if a person lies about it, any claim will not be paid, and they will know by all alumni record.

Good luck

I'm with Cowan Insurance Brokers (Hamilton Branch). They use The Dominion Group as their insurance provider. I have had nothing but great service from this company so far and the rates quoted to me were better than several other brokers. Good luck dude.

Corn Nug