Help iphone 4

jimmer

I have the 8gb and it holds less that 40 photos at times. One time it said storage was full and I only had 14 photos. I guess it is what it is.

Thanks guys!

It depends on how many apps you have and files and documents and how many emails and emails with attachments and songs you have. You can check it will tell you how much space everything is using. Delete apps you don't use

IO have a 16G Iphone 6 and I've got close to 400 pics on my phone currently which accounts for almost 1 full gig of storage space.

Go to settings, General, and select the Storage option (Mine says Storage and Icloud). Click on "manage usage" and it will show you where all of your storage space is going by app as well as what you have left on the phone.

If you have a lot of text messages with photos in them, that will take up a lot of space as well. I have to purge my text messages every so often to ensure I do not get the message you received.

I have the 8gb and it holds less that 40 photos at times. One time it said storage was full and I only had 14 photos. I guess it is what it is.

Thanks guys!

That seems strange. I just checked by PC. I have a folder with pretty much all of the photos that I have taken with cameras and cell phones since going digital going digital somewhere around 2001. It takes up 2.34 GB. Eight gigabytes should be enough to store several thousand pictures.

I think that there might be something wrong with the phone. I only have 120 mb showing for photos, messages, contacts, mail and apps. Yet it says 6.1 GB is used. I always purge my messages.

I think you might be right, I have an I Phone 4S 8 GB and I have at times had a couple of 100 pics on it with no problems. Take it into an Apple store and ask for help, they are wonderful and it's free

Jimmer,

You can bring it into Apple but I am pretty sure they won't support that device. It dropped off their radar last year. With the expected release of the 7S shortly, I imagine the 4s will be on the chopping block shortly as well.

6.1GB used is more than likely normal. The biggest issue is that when the 4 originally came out, the 8g was just big enough for the operating system and a few apps/pics to be used/taken. With every single update to the ios, the software size grew to accommodate our ever growing requirements from our phones.

I always bought the 16G model just to be safe but the IOS has grown so large that it is now over 5G if I remember correctly. They don't even make the 16G anymore because they even realize it is too small now.

Having said that, you should be able to save more than a few pics on your phone. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the last update your phone had included the HDR function which essentially takes 3 photos and blends them together to create one good photo. If this is the case, each time you take a photo, the phone is storing 3. to check, go into settings and select the Photos and Camera icon. Scroll right to the bottom and check if you have "HDR (High Dynamic Range)". If you do, turn off "Keep Normal Photo" and you will not be keeping the extra ones and the phone will only be storing the HDR ones after it has done its thing.

Truth is, it may just be time for a new phone. That would solve all of your problems for sure!

Thanks so much for all the input. I will stop in at an Apple Store if I can find one close, because I never get the message of no storage available with the same number of photos. Sometimes I get it with 15 photos and other times with 50 photos.. However, I also think Lape0019 pegged it with the size of the ios and it was updated recently. I had the "keep normal photo" turned off. I guess I will just have to save the pictures then delete them. It's just nice to keep a few on the phone so I can share with others.