Truck purchasing advice regarding torque- NF

I won't be pursuing the 6 cyl engine.

The Ram 8 cyl appears to have lots of muscle.However the fuel economy is worse than a Ford or GM with similar capability.

Brand loyalty isn't important to me so any of these are good and I'll see where my search leads me now.

For those that suggested the diesel engines, I have given thought to them but I think the extra expense is too high.

It's nice to be able to reach out to a group of people willing to help steer you in the right direction.

Thanks to all!

When I bought my 2005 F350 Super Duty I was told that 70% of the people buying that truck ended buying a diesel - I went with a gas engine - 5.4 V8 - the reason I did that was because I also travel all over Canada with my truck camper pulling a boat and always have a lot of extra gas in case I need it - I have a 13 gallon tank in the boat and an extra 12 gallon tank for the boat - sometimes you can't always get diesel fuel if your way up in the boondocks - besides down here for some reason diesel fuel costs more that gas - I always think I made a good choice especially when you hear of the troubles connected with owning a diesel

- sometimes you can't always get diesel fuel if your way up in the boondocks - besides

I had a Chevy 3500 diesel 20 some odd years ago. I always had to carry 5 gallons around with me as even in southern On. it wasn't available at every filling station. I hate, too strong a word, I strongly dislike with a passion that incessant clanking, cackling, carbuncklement diesel sound. When I was a kid our bedroom was about 20 feet from a bus stop and they sat there idling for what seemed like hours, the sound and smell of the diesel engine reminds me I shared 2 beds with 5 brothers and numerous cousins on weekends. My first ever pay I bought a Pup tent.

Haven't heard from you here for a while JoePa, good to see your still with us.

20 years ago was 20 years ago, technology & infrastructure progresses

picked up my new colorado diesel today and achieved 7.7l / 100 (that's a little over 30 US mpg) on the 150km drive from the dealer. it's only going to get better as the motor gets broken in. i wouldn't make a habit of pulling a 5000lb horse trailer with it -- eventhough it's rated for 7600lbs -- that's what full size trucks are for. but it will handle a moderate load just fine.

i hear GM will be putting an oil burner in the silverado/sierra 1500 in the next couple of years, i think it will sell well, like the ram eco diesel.

Edited by Raf

i had a 2017 1500 silverado for a week (5.3 v8). it was nice. a bit too big for us but very comfortable. the cylinder deactivation worked decently but i could feel it kick in and out which was weird (although i'm sure you get used to it). i averaged about 10l/100 in it over the week which surprised me, i expected worse.

I've got the Ram 1500 with the 3.6l. Love it, it's great on gas and does what I want, which is occasionally tow my 17' boat, but like others have said if I was going across Canada towing 5,500 lbs I'd go for the hemi. Lots of guys I work with have the hemi and love the power of it. Fuel economy isn't too bad either.

Regardless, good luck with your purchase.

I just bought a 5L F150 and shook my head when they told me it's rated to tow up to 10,300lbs

In my opinion a 1/2 ton truck shouldn't be towing anymore than 5500lbs not because the motor/tranny can't handle it but breaking and stability of towing a heavy load

saying all this my tournament partner has the 3.5 eco boost and I have the 5L even though Ford says the eco boost is better for towing both of us agree my truck does a better job and also gets better fuel economy while towing both his and my boats around

Dan

saying all this my tournament partner has the 3.5 eco boost and I have the 5L even though Ford says the eco boost is better for towing both of us agree my truck does a better job and also gets better fuel economy while towing both his and my boats around

Dan

Cubic inches always wins when towing over all the horsepower/ torque technobabble.

Raf, let us know how you like the new truck! I still drive a diesel, but it's definitely never going to have a tow hitch, lol.

barring a lemon, i think i am gonna love it. 2017 is the 2nd year for the diesel in the colorado / canyon twins and 3rd year of this generation. the 2.8 is far from a new motor -- used extensively overseas. what is new is all the emissions crap for the north american market.. that's about my only worry and mainly the egr. there's already an aftermarket that allows these parts to fall off the truck but i like my warranty too.

no real issues reported by owners so far that i've been able to find but lets see in 5-6 years.

Edited by Raf

I just bought a 5L F150 and shook my head when they told me it's rated to tow up to 10,300lbs

In my opinion a 1/2 ton truck shouldn't be towing anymore than 5500lbs not because the motor/tranny can't handle it but breaking and stability of towing a heavy load

Dan

If you are towing heavy loads a f150 set up with the tow package as well as a sway control bar and trailer brakes is more than up to the job. Hands down the 5.0 gets better gas mileage however the turbo series is boosting the truck at 14 psi will yield 3.5 plus 1.75 for a displacement of 5.25 in theory a 10 % loss is expected so it is roughly a 5.0 under boost. both are up to the job and with further tuning the 3.5 turbo in the raptor is rated at 450 H.p and 510 FT lb of torque. There is lots of room left in the turbo series using tuning and a few mechanical tweeks. One of the thing people forget is displacement at atmospheric pressure is easily overridden by increasing the inlet pressure and increasing fuel rate at the same time. With the computers now a days mapping the spark, fuel and o2 is easily done. The second benefit of a smaller cubic inch motor is it can spool up quicker because it has less friction and mass to accelerate. Turbo lag which is minimal due to the space age materials we use and advances in design are not the same concern as yesteryear.

Art

i was waiting forever for the colorado diesel, and then the ram eco diesel came along and i decided that for the price it was better to go with a full size truck...no problems yet after 35,000km *knock on wood*

I dont regret getting a ram eco diesel for a second...the price, look, mileage, entertainment system, drive feel and performance have all been incredible thus far...maybe ill eat my words when the thing starts falling apart prematurely but so far so good!

i was waiting forever for the colorado diesel, and then the ram eco diesel came along and i decided that for the price it was better to go with a full size truck...no problems yet after 35,000km *knock on wood*

I dont regret getting a ram eco diesel for a second...the price, look, mileage, entertainment system, drive feel and performance have all been incredible thus far...maybe ill eat my words when the thing starts falling apart prematurely but so far so good!

x2, still crossing my fingers at 100,000 km; knock twice....

Agree with Art totally,I love my ecoboost it's fast lots of power and decent on fuel .

I tow my 17 ft lund all summer and a 16 ft enclosed full of sleds and gear all winter don't even know they are behind me I do have all the tow packages and other goodies.

Would I get the 5.0 next time ? Naaaa I love hearing the turbos spooling up