Truck purchasing advice regarding torque- NF

Hi all.

I'm hoping to get some advice to help me choose a truck while all these sales are on.

Presently I'm looking at the Ram pick ups.

I like the fuel economy of their 3.6 l V6 but I'm concerned the torque rating of 269 lb-ft

won't be enough to tow a travel trailer of around 5500 lbs throughout Canada.

Properly equipped the specs say this truck is rated to tow 7420 lbs., my concern is that this rating is a marketing tool

and can only be met with a tailwind going downhill.

Hope I can get some help from anyone who knows about this stuff.

Over the years I had a total of 3 GM Astro - Safari vans with a 4.3 v-6 which had similar torque numbers. They were fine for pulling my boat (roughly 1500 lbs total weight, b/m/t and gear). They could handle, barely, pulling my tandem axle utility trailer loaded with a cord and a quarter of fresh cut slabwood ( roughly 5000 lbs ) 20 miles from the sawmill home.

To pull a 5500 lb trailer around Canada? you are going to want at least a mid sized v - 8, a diesel might be better. I have a 2500 series GM van with a small v-8, no doubt that it would pull a 5000lb load better, but if I had planned on pulling a weight like that around regularly I would have gone with a bigger motor.

Those little motors have to work hard to pull weight.

Most folks experience regret when they purchase a pickup truck that 1) doesn't have a V8 and 2) doesn't have 4 wheel drive. Not all, but most! Just some input from a long time truck owner, who's buddies have tried every cost saving measure that ended in buyers remorse.

Edited by porkpie

A little perspective. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L (355hp, 385 pounds of torque). Because I have 3.08 gears, it's only rated to pull 6200 pounds (which is fine for me I'll never tow that much).

BUT

Some say it's best to stay under 80% of max tow for the longevity of the vehicle. 80% of 6200 is 4960. So if I were towing across Canada I could do it with my truck, but I'd think twice. Anything less than that and you're asking for expensive repairs and/or a vehicle with a shortened lifespan.

Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited to add: I couldn't afford the gas to tow 5500# across Canada either. Go diesel.

Edited by Dutch01

V6 in a pickup is for those who buy a truck and don't use it like a truck...aka a grocery getter. If you need a truck, and it sounds like you do, buy one with an engine that'll do what you need it to do.

tell that to a friend of mine, hes got the 4.6L v6 eco boost f-150, his first trip, 1300km hunting trip to quebec, towing a fully loaded trailer, with 4 guys worth of hunting, and a couple hundred decoys. he tows dump trailers loaded with stump grinders and skid steers and whatever else he needs for his job as an arborist on a daily basis and has zero complaints

Hi all.

I'm hoping to get some advice to help me choose a truck while all these sales are on.

Presently I'm looking at the Ram pick ups.

I like the fuel economy of their 3.6 l V6 but I'm concerned the torque rating of 269 lb-ft

won't be enough to tow a travel trailer of around 5500 lbs throughout Canada.

Properly equipped the specs say this truck is rated to tow 7420 lbs., my concern is that this rating is a marketing tool

and can only be met with a tailwind going downhill.

Hope I can get some help from anyone who knows about this stuff.

Well I have this truck set up, I would say step up to the 8 cyl. IMO. Lots of power for going to the grocery store, LMAO. Seriously, it,s got balls for a single cab/short box. I got this set up as I do not tow, but wanted a truck for the box. I can travel with all my gear, spring,summer.fall and winter. Great fuel millage.

F150 eco boost with tow package 16 mpg not towing combined city and hwy. Rated for 10000 lbs towed 5000 lb 8 hours no issues. towed 3500 lb 14 hr straight doing 70 mph average no issues. very happy with the 3.5 twin turbo as far as torque and h.p.

Art

F150 eco boost with tow package 16 mpg not towing combined city and hwy. Rated for 10000 lbs towed 5000 lb 8 hours no issues. towed 3500 lb 14 hr straight doing 70 mph average no issues. very happy with the 3.5 twin turbo as far as torque and h.p.

Art

You're getting 16 mpg combined with an Eco boost ???

A little perspective. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L (355hp, 385 pounds of torque). Because I have 3.08 gears, it's only rated to pull 6200 pounds (which is fine for me I'll never tow that much).

BUT

Some say it's best to stay under 80% of max tow for the longevity of the vehicle. 80% of 6200 is 4960. So if I were towing across Canada I could do it with my truck, but I'd think twice. Anything less than that and you're asking for expensive repairs and/or a vehicle with a shortened lifespan.

Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited to add: I couldn't afford the gas to tow 5500# across Canada either. Go diesel.

I've got the 3.42 gears set in my Silverado and no complaints towing. I'm not towing 5500lbs though. I'd estimate my boat at around 3500lbs(?) and it'll haul no problem. I also know there's a big difference between a bass boat and a big square RV trailer!

You're getting 16 mpg combined with an Eco boost ???

.yes 14.7 liters per 100KM I have the full tow package 3.5 liter twin turbo 4x4 with the 3.72 gear set. It does not get good gas mileage but I use it to tow most of the time. The computer has for the most part learned heavy loads so it is leaning towards torque rather than economy. I do not under tow either motor or brake wise it is just to dangerous and it can get you killed.

Art

The 8 so tranny and optional 3.92 gears you LL be fine for towing wasn't that many years ago towing 20ft boats with 180 hp 5.0l v8

Agreed. IF you can get 3.92 gears and use tow/haul mode, you should be fine. Towing that distance, you'd probably make your money back on the diesel in fuel savings by the time you get home.

I've got the 3.42 gears set in my Silverado and no complaints towing. I'm not towing 5500lbs though. I'd estimate my boat at around 3500lbs(?) and it'll haul no problem. I also know there's a big difference between a bass boat and a big square RV trailer!

My boat is around 1500 pounds and I can barely tell it's there. I think I'd feel 5500 though. I don't mind the 3.08 because 98% of my mileage isn't towing.

Are you guys talking eco diesel or cummins? I hear the eco has problems and my buddies new cummins drinks fuel hard and has problems.

Just some food for thought- my wife was thinking about a Jetta a few years ago, I did the math and it would have taken 12 years to recoup the extra cost for the TDI in fuel savings.

tell that to a friend of mine, hes got the 4.6L v6 eco boost f-150, his first trip, 1300km hunting trip to quebec, towing a fully loaded trailer, with 4 guys worth of hunting, and a couple hundred decoys. he tows dump trailers loaded with stump grinders and skid steers and whatever else he needs for his job as an arborist on a daily basis and has zero complaints

Not sure what trailer, but a mini van could reliably haul 4 guys, gear and a couple hundred dekes.

As for using his truck for commercial purposes, there's a reason 99% of contractors doing the work he does will choose a 3/4 or 1 ton. An empty 6x10 dump is around 2500 lbs and likely around towing capacity full of green wood and IIRC the lightest skidder is around 2500 lbs, which is practically a useless kids toy and I can't see him using this for logs. Goign cheap will catch up with him sooner or later.

Not sure what trailer, but a mini van could reliably haul 4 guys, gear and a couple hundred dekes.

As for using his truck for commercial purposes, there's a reason 99% of contractors doing the work he does will choose a 3/4 or 1 ton. An empty 6x10 dump is around 2500 lbs and likely around towing capacity full of green wood and IIRC the lightest skidder is around 2500 lbs, which is practically a useless kids toy and I can't see him using this for logs. Goign cheap will catch up with him sooner or later.

considering hes puts 250k on it in the 2.5 years hes had it, i'd say its done him pretty good so far

Are you guys talking eco diesel or cummins? I hear the eco has problems and my buddies new cummins drinks fuel hard and has problems.

Just some food for thought- my wife was thinking about a Jetta a few years ago, I did the math and it would have taken 12 years to recoup the extra cost for the TDI in fuel savings.

That's a good point. Even my mechanic said that unless you're towing every week, the additional costs (from purchase to maintenance) just doesn't justify going diesel. I still want one though...lol