Questions for the 'Yak fishers

Dutch01

Hey guys, I'm heading up north for the Labor day weekend and leaving the boat behind. I've been really curious about kayak fishing and managed to arrange a demo for the weekend.

Before I buy i thought I'd ask all the 'Yak fishers from the board for a few tips. For example:

What you wish you knew before you bought?

What is too heavy? (The kayak I'm demo'ing is a Perception Pescador Pro 12' and weighs around 60#)

Is 12' too short? Is 14' too heavy?

How do you carry it? I have a pickup and leaning towards a "bed extender" type carrier....

I'm sure there's more I'll need to know, help a brother out OFC!

Thanks

Dutch

Edited by Dutch01

I love mine.

I'm 32 now and bought mine when I was in my late 20's. I've got a Nucanoe 12 ft sit on top Yak. Its about 75 lbs and isn't too heavy. I'd actually say 14ft might be too long if you are planning on portaging. It can be difficult to carry a sit on top over your head, and I don't really like the sit in ones for fishing.

I've got a hatchback and just load it up on roof racks. Back when I used to work up north we had one of those metal trailer bed roof rack things for the truck. Worked out great for 12 ft jon boats. I'm guessing it would be the same for a yak.

Honestly, it all depends what you want. I wanted to make sure I could have guests so I got the 2 person sit on top. Wanted to make sure everyone was comfortable so I bought 2 captains chairs (the boat ones that are padded) and wanted to spend more time fishing and less time paddling so I bought a 30lb minn kota trolling motor. My best advice is just think about how you want to use the Yak and tailor it to your needs. They are great for that.

Much as the electric motors look cool on a kayak, I'm not about to butcher my Terrova to make it fit!

I figure if I want to bring people or hit big water I'll just use my boat. I want to use the kayak to connect more with nature and try to fish less busy waters.

I do feel like weight will be a consideration at the end of a long day when I have to hoist it up onto my truck. I really like the Wilderness Systems ATAK 140 but it's near on a hundred pounds. Not sure I want to deal with that.

Edited by Dutch01

I have one of those. :)

10007410_838185772874430_639412420_n.jpg

The bed extenders are awesome for carrying kayaks.

My buddy uses one for his Hobie Pro Angler 14.

He handles it himself and it is a 110# kayak. I have a Honda Pilot and put mine on the roof rack.

There is no way I could get a PA up there as the Pescador is about my limit.

If you need to carry it a distance from the vehicle to the water get yourself a kayak cart so you can just roll it there.

I have one of those. :)

10007410_838185772874430_639412420_n.jpg

The bed extenders are awesome for carrying kayaks.

My buddy uses one for his Hobie Pro Angler 14.

He handles it himself and it is a 110# kayak. I have a Honda Pilot and put mine on the roof rack.

There is no way I could get a PA up there as the Pescador is about my limit.

If you need to carry it a distance from the vehicle to the water get yourself a kayak cart so you can just roll it there.

I've heard the bed extenders work quite well so that's my plan for now. I like the "j style" carriers but I don't have a roof rack.

A quick to install and cheap ladder rack would be great but most I've seen won't work with my tonneau or are very expensive.

One of my worries with the Pescador is it's rated to about 350 pounds and I'm already 220 of it. I'm wondering if it will sit low in the water and be harder to paddle. I suppose I'll figure that out with with the demo....

Edited by Dutch01

I just bought a Wilderness Radar 115. More options than I now what to do with such available options such as pedal and electric motor. But I just want to paddle. I had it up to Georgian Bay last weekend and it was great on the water. A super comfortable seat. You are not gonna win any speed races, but it is very stable and it tracks pretty good. Nice and wide at 34.5 ". It weighs 82 lbs. 10'8" long. I have a Ram 1500 with crew cab, so short box. With the tailgate down it hangs over a foot or two so I just strap it down and put a small flag on it. I haven't fished with it, but so far I'm pleased with it. Andy

I just bought a Wilderness Radar 115. More options than I now what to do with such available options such as pedal and electric motor. But I just want to paddle. I had it up to Georgian Bay last weekend and it was great on the water. A super comfortable seat. You are not gonna win any speed races, but it is very stable and it tracks pretty good. Nice and wide at 34.5 ". It weighs 82 lbs. 10'8" long. I have a Ram 1500 with crew cab, so short box. With the tailgate down it hangs over a foot or two so I just strap it down and put a small flag on it. I haven't fished with it, but so far I'm pleased with it. Andy

Andy the Perception I am looking at is made by Wilderness Systems and has a nearly identical seat so that's good info. I have heard a lot of good things about the Air Pro seats.

I've heard the bed extenders work quite well so that's my plan for now. I like the "j style" carriers but I don't have a roof rack.

A quick to install and cheap ladder rack would be great but most I've seen won't work with my tonneau or are very expensive.

One of my worries with the Pescador is it's rated to about 350 pounds and I'm already 220 of it. I'm wondering if it will sit low in the water and be harder to paddle. I suppose I'll figure that out with with the demo....

It'll be fine.

If it holds me, it'll hold you. ;)

I had set aside a Pescador by phone, but when I got there it wasn't in stock. So Al at Sail in Cambridge upsold me to the Radar 115. It was quite a bit more than I had planned to spend, but they cut me a deal. Don't be afraid to ask for a break on price. No one wants to keep a kayak over the winter. The Radar was shorter but wider. It had the better seat, more like a lawn chair. I sat in the Pescador too, it was also comfortable. But I'm 55 yrs old now and I am really beginning to appreciate things like a good seat. The days of sitting in a canoe all day or sleeping on the ground are over. I really like the Wilderness products, I don't think you can go wrong with them. I bought one of those Scotty gear head adapters and a Scotty rod holder. It's gonna work great. Good luck.

I'm 63 and have a sit in that I've used on the guys annual spring fishing trip for about 7-8 years.

What I WISH I had is a SOT with a really comfortable chair.

When I bought mine I thought weight was a primary consideration however that can be overcome, within reason.

Although mine is comfortable, at my age after a few hours it becomes less comfortable.

I really enjoy being out on small lakes in mine- it's really enjoyable latching onto a splake or spec and while you're fighting them getting pulled around the lake.

As important as feedback from others is; demoing one for the weekend is a great way to check it out.

I can't comment on the brands mentioned because I just bought a cheap one to try it out.

Now we have three at our trailer for my wife, daughter and I to paddle around in when not in use for fishing.

I fish out of a Hobie PA12. Was looking for a boat and never considered a fisher yak until I saw the hobie. The draw for me was the peddle drive system which allowed me to fish hands free otherwise would have passed. So, I tried it, liked it, and made the buy. Pros-, SOT, spacious, hands free, easy to accessorize with neat stuff, very comfortable and stable to use for hours at a time without tiring. It is a great boat to fish out of especially calm, skinny water and trolling-perfect speed and quiet. Yak fishing is a very stress free way to fish-I don't worry about props and rocks, docks, motor breakdowns etc. Cons- you can't travel the distances that you can with motor and its built for one, although I can seat my son at the stern on milkcrate and it's not light. I can launch anywhere, however, I trailer it and now usually back it into the water at the boat launches so, its probably not as versitile as a lighter paddle yak like the others here (and my wife) fish out of. I'm happy with my choice of boat and becoming a yak fisher. Give a hobie a try as well to compare. Good luck!-skdds

I have a 10' Pelican Kayak from Costco. it weights 40lbs, and I dont really want any heavier. I carry it with one arm with hand just over the shoulder. I made a couple mods: side paddle holder/clamp and a compact rod holder (must for fishing). Also got a J stand for the roof rack. Over all pretty happy with a set up.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

If you have ever fished with multiple rods on deck you understand the importance of time spent fishing vs changing lures. If you are buying a kayak to fish you owe it to yourself to test some hands free options (pedal drive) for the same reason. You can't cast with a paddle in your hand.

There are now many choices of pedal drives and although heavier, any one of them will be transported easily enough with a cart and bed extender.

I ended up with a beast of a "kayak" but I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, my boat sits on the dock now as I much prefer my PA14.

Picked up the Pescador Pro 12 today after a test paddle. I was real impressed with how easy it paddled and how stable it was. I think I got a lot of boat for $869.

Taking it to Algonquin this weekend for its maiden voyage, I will try to post a few pics when I get a chance.

If you have ever fished with multiple rods on deck you understand the importance of time spent fishing vs changing lures. If you are buying a kayak to fish you owe it to yourself to test some hands free options (pedal drive) for the same reason. You can't cast with a paddle in your hand.

There are now many choices of pedal drives and although heavier, any one of them will be transported easily enough with a cart and bed extender.

I ended up with a beast of a "kayak" but I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, my boat sits on the dock now as I much prefer my PA14.

Im out on Simcoe a lot. I fish with some yak buddies. One has a pedal, one a motor ( he is a serious yaker that rigs ). The rest paddle. One has stabilizers, They all have finders,multi rods and anchors. I guess it all comes down to what you want to fish for. Why I like my set up. I do not move as stealthy as they do, but the use of my flippers allows me to be hands free to cast, move around and hold positions.

When I do find a deal on a yak thats for me, I will be a yaker too. With stabilizers. :whistling:

Edited by Misfish