Bank Charger Recos?

AKRISONER

I have a NOCO Mini Gen2 and I am pretty happy with it. Yes it only charges at 4 amp per Bank but I don't run my trolling motor batteries down under 60-70%% very often. One of the bonuses of having a 80lb thrust motor on a 16.5' aluminum boat.

So if you are draining your batteries every time you go out you might want to look at the higher amperage charger vs a lower one.

I've got a MK330 that has to be close to ten years old. I bought it used 5 years ago and it is still going strong.

Its 10 amps per bank and will charge my batteries overnight. I think the longest it has ever taken was 5 hours. I originally has a 4 amp per bank charger and it would take a full day to charge the batteries.

So my recommendation is to buy one that is at least 10 amps per bank but I will also say I will be sticking with Minn kota if it every craps out.

Edited by Lape0019

I have a two bank Minn Kota that I have mounted in a front compartment for my two Interstate trolling batteries.The batteries, boat and charger were bought new by the first owner in 2006 and I bought it second hand with the original batteries in it about 6 or 7 years ago. The batteries are still going strong, although one of the banks doesn't always switch to a charged state unless I unplug it and plug it in again. I'm not sure if it's the battery or the charger, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Minn Kota. I can run my trolling motor pretty good over a weekend and I think that I'm doing pretty good to get 10 yrs plus out of a set of trolling batteries. Andy

im trying to confirm my understanding, but if you are running a 24v trolling motor set up you would require a 3 bank minimum because the two trolling motor batteries wont charge in sequence. Then your third bank is for your starting motor correct?

Edited by AKRISONER

im trying to confirm my understanding, but if you are running a 24v trolling motor set up you would require a 3 bank minimum because the two trolling motor batteries wont charge in sequence. Then your third bank is for your starting motor correct?

Depending on the charger you can charge them as a 24V system (In series, one lead per battery single bank), or on a per battery basis(parallel, two leads per battery, using 2 banks of the charger) all depends on how you have the charger hooked up. I don't charge my starting battery, big motor (Or kicker) takes care of that when we are running. I do have another battery installed in parallel with the starter which I use for my electronics (So I'm not draining the starter batteries running the graphs)

Edited by BillM

Depending on the charger you can charge them as a 24V system (In series, one lead per battery single bank), or on a per battery basis(parallel, two leads per battery, using 2 banks of the charger) all depends on how you have the charger hooked up. I don't charge my starting battery, big motor (Or kicker) takes care of that when we are running. I do have another battery installed in parallel with the starter which I use for my electronics (So I'm not draining the starter batteries running the graphs)

this is exactly what I was trying to get at...my lingo may be a bit wrong im not a battery/wiring expert.

I wasnt sure if you could charge your two 12v batteries for the trolling motor as a 24v system by placing them in series. I have my answer, you can indeed do this....i guess the downfall is that the charging time would literally be doubled compared to running them parallel.

Bill do you connect a bank to your starting motor at all or simply one to the troller batteries and one to the electronics exclusive battery?

Get a charger that 1) has the same number of banks as you have 12V batteries and, 2) has at least 10 amps PER bank. The most common battery arrangement is to have your electronics, livewell pumps, etc. running off your starter battery. If you want a separate battery and have the room, no problem. But how you fish has a lot to do with how you charge your starter battery. If you troll a lot, your outboard may do a good enough job. I don't, so running 6 minutes down the lake and fishing for 4 hours won't work. I have 3 batteries for the 36V troller and one for everything else...I use the NOCO Genius 4 - four bank, 40 amp charger and all my batteries get refreshed after every outing.

I have a 3 bank with one bank going to each battery in my boat. Unlike many, I charge the cranking battery as well as the two deep cycles I have hooked in series for the 24volt system.

I cannot rely on my big motor to fully charge my cranking battery because I do not run it for long distances very often. When you have electronics on all day and the pumps to keep fish alive going, you are going to draw more power than an outboard can replenish in a 5 minute trip down the lake. The cranking battery always charges the quickest but it's always good to have them topped all of the way up. Especially if you want to keep the batteries for any length of time.

I do not think these charger are really setup to charge dual batteries off of one lead.

this is exactly what I was trying to get at...my lingo may be a bit wrong im not a battery/wiring expert.

I wasnt sure if you could charge your two 12v batteries for the trolling motor as a 24v system by placing them in series. I have my answer, you can indeed do this....i guess the downfall is that the charging time would literally be doubled compared to running them parallel.

Bill do you connect a bank to your starting motor at all or simply one to the troller batteries and one to the electronics exclusive battery?

I just hook my charger to the trolling motor batteries. We're in the boat at least once a week, so the big motor charges the starter + other battery just fine. No need to hook that up (for us anyhow)

Get a charger that 1) has the same number of banks as you have 12V batteries and, 2) has at least 10 amps PER bank. The most common battery arrangement is to have your electronics, livewell pumps, etc. running off your starter battery. If you want a separate battery and have the room, no problem. But how you fish has a lot to do with how you charge your starter battery. If you troll a lot, your outboard may do a good enough job. I don't, so running 6 minutes down the lake and fishing for 4 hours won't work. I have 3 batteries for the 36V troller and one for everything else...I use the NOCO Genius 4 - four bank, 40 amp charger and all my batteries get refreshed after every outing.

This ^

At least 10A per battery. Anything less takes forever, and I honestly find its not good for the batteries, especially if they are run down a lot.

S.