Anyone from the Hamilton area?

limeyangler

Hi all,

Just throwing this out there, fishing if you like.

I am doing some respite work for a family in Hamilton with a young man who is originally from this area. I was asked to do this by the agency I work for because I had worked with this guy when he had been in care/foster care when he lived up here and because he shares my passion for the outdoors. He is very attached to his care family in Hamilton and so does not wish to stay here up north, but really misses the outdoors, in particular....FISHING.

I won't go into details, but this young man has many issues, but when he is out fishing he is in his element and is the best form of 'therapy' for him. He told me there are very limited fishing options in that area. Whether or not this is true it is the way he perceives it. Walleye fishing is his favourite, but he'll fish for most things just like myself.

I guess I am asking if there is anyone on the board from the Hamilton area that would be willing to take this guy out fishing once in a while when he returns. I have spoken to his care family about throwing it out there on the forum and they were happy for me to give it a try. The logistics of it can be worked out later, just seeing if there was any interest in doing so from our community members.

You can reply on the thread or to my private messages.

thanks ,

Simon.

Hamilton is 45 minutes from Lake Erie, ie guaranteed walleye limits this year (6 each). I go there occasionally but always have more takers than spots in the boat :(.

thanks Sterling, I have fished Erie out of Eirieau a few times, good fishing, even from the pier. My father in law has a trailer there, we visit often, already trying to work that into the plan when he returns.

ME AT ERIEAU PIER VIDEOS.

thanks Sterling, I have fished Erie out of Eirieau a few times, good fishing, even from the pier. My father in law has a trailer there, we visit often, already trying to work that into the plan when he returns.

ME AT ERIEAU PIER VIDEOS.

Ever venture out in the big water? If so, I can tell you exactly where to go and limit out every time. Central basin is nuts right now.

Ever venture out in the big water? If so, I can tell you exactly where to go and limit out every time. Central basin is nuts right now.

Yeah, been out a couple times from the marina at Eirieau, we caught steelhead. I don't have a boat down there but I could easily sell that info to the boys at the trailer park....lol.

I hope he gets out with one of the members. There isn't fishing in the Hammer area like up north. Open water trolling, there aren't any back bays etc. to cast for anything. Actually boring to me lugging in a dead Walleye but that's what we have, and 1 can feed 4 people. Even Bass on Erie this time of year can be off shore a bit and nothing to see but Wind Turbines and the Hydro and Steel Plant.

Just a note. The MNR has been stocking Hamilton Harbour with walleye over the last few years. I haven't fished in myself; but I understand that they have been doing well there. There may be some more local opportunities than he thinks.

There are a lot of Walleye caught in the Bay near the Williams cafe right off the docks. I personally wouldn't eat them but it's a beautiful area to fish. Edited by pics

There are a lot of Walleye caught in the Bay near the Williams cafe right off the docks. I personally wouldn't eat them but it's a beautiful area to fish.

I was told by locals that's supposed to be a secret. No I wouldn't eat or even handle a fish from that water. I wouldn't eat a fish from the western basin of Lake O either. I tried a Rainbow and Salmon we caught and threw the rest all away, they were disgusting, that was mid 80's. I know what we put in there over the years, Randle Reef is one of the hottest spots of contaminants, a virtual cornucopia of carcinogens, highest PPM of polluted waters in North America and just around the corner from Williams Cafe.

DO NOT EAT FISH FROM THE BAY, please.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

how are walleye or any fish for that matter surviving in such poor water conditions?

and walleye off the docks sounds like one of the dreams I had lately lol

The water conditions/quality has improved vastly in the area actually.

The reason the fish left/died was due to the high phosphorus content, which I believe is still being worked on, but the early results are that it is within acceptable limits so walleye, whitefish and pike are currently spawning and doing well there, last year I read that a large number of first year stocked walleye were being caught, I believe they were 3 years old at that point