Solar Eclipse

bobowski

On Monday August 21st at approximately 2pm we will be experiencing a solar eclipse. A solar eclipse is when the moon passes between the Earth and the Sun causing an Eclipse. I will be out fishing at this time. I was thinking about this and wondering if this will have any affect on the fishing during the time of the eclipse. On Monday it will be a new Moon phase so this in particular should make it a decent day for fishing but do you guys think that the eclipse will alter this in any way? LOL Maybe I'm just over thinking this but in my head the fish will just be jumping into the boat during the eclipse (joking).

Heard today on the radio, those special glasses that make the watching safe, have been scooped up fast and hard to buy at a local store. They are sell for up to $30 on Kijiji. $3 glasses . LOL

Money to be made on anything these days.

UNREAL

At 2 pm, I,ll be too busy working, and probly fixing some machine. :lol:

The path of totality nearest to us will be from Nashville over to South Carolina. It will actually get dark like night there for a couple of minutes.

Around here, where it will be a partial eclipse, an approaching dark thunderstorm probably has a more dramatic effect on the fishing. Please do let us know if you notice any change though.

Heard today on the radio, those special glasses that make the watching safe, have been scooped up fast and hard to buy at a local store. They are sell for up to $30 on Kijiji. $3 glasses . LOL

Money to be made on anything these days.

UNREAL

At 2 pm, I,ll be too busy working, and probly fixing some machine. :lol:

You'll probably be able to pick some up pretty cheap in a few days :whistling:

I have been seeing these warnings about keeping your pet inside so they don't get eye damage.. Lol.. As if they would actually look at the sun to watch it.. The only species on the planet that is dumb enough for that is the human one..

I have been seeing these warnings about keeping your pet inside so they don't get eye damage.. Lol.. As if they would actually look at the sun to watch it.. The only species on the planet that is dumb enough for that is the human one..

I'm trying to wrap my tired old brain around this, why would looking at the sun during an eclipse be any worse for your eyes than looking at it on a normal clear day?

I'm trying to wrap my tired old brain around this, why would looking at the sun during an eclipse be any worse for your eyes than looking at it on a normal clear day?

It wouldn't, but there's normally nothing going on to make some people want to fix their gaze there. People are curious, and curiosity leads to risk-taking.

In the path of totality during the eclipse (not in Canada this time) it will actually become fairly dark during totality and your pupils will dilate in the darkness. If you aren't careful with the timing, the sun is then going to instantly pop back into view from behind the moon, and you can certainly experience eye damage under those conditions.

Edited by MJIG

Pretty much a non event here , even at the height of coverage it was sunny and distinct shadows, it gets darker out with a cloud passing over the sun. All the hype leads you to believe you'd have to turn on headlights and the streetlight would come on :whistling: .

Got the full blown deal in Central Tennessee where weather was ideal. There were lots of free glasses and also some stores gouging the public by charging high prices.

I enjoyed a similar experience in Florida during March 1970. Not as much hype and excitement for that one as it was prior to Facebook and our having 5 year old youngsters going through graduation ceremonies from kindergarten.

Watched it today at the CNE huge crowd and they gave out free viewing glasses and a star finder for viewing the eclipse and identifying the stars. Did notice a slight darkening at the max but not much great thing to see though weather was great hopefully next time the weather will co-operate again. Tried taking photos with my Ipod but could not get the exposure right very tough to do.

Kawartha Kev