Onaping Lake guidance

BassMan11

Morning ladies and gents,

I am headed to Onaping Lake for the first time with my group of buddies next weekend for our annual fishing trip. I have booked the 25 mile outpost camp for 4 days and hope to get into some decent fishing. Not asking for any specific spots (but feel free) or anything like that but just wondering if there are any specific techniques or lures or depths I should be targeting to get into some walleye? We will primarily fish bass and pike as hopefully they will be more abundant and better for the boys who don't fish a lot. I might even head down to the south end to jig some Lake trout if the weather permits.

Any other info about the lake or things we should consider? Obviously the lake is large and full of bays and channels so having your GPS charged and available is important.

I will give a full report when I return.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

BassMan

I've researched Onaping before and couldn't find much information. I'm guessing if the fishing was crazy good there would be more stuff online. The 25 Mile camp looks like a good area to be in.

The walleye will probably be deep. I would try to find them on the sonar then jig or troll crankbaits. I would also try trolling shallower after dark.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to your report.

I've researched Onaping before and couldn't find much information. I'm guessing if the fishing was crazy good there would be more stuff online. The 25 Mile camp looks like a good area to be in.

The walleye will probably be deep. I would try to find them on the sonar then jig or troll crankbaits. I would also try trolling shallower after dark.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to your report.

Thanks Chris,

I would assume normal summer tactics such as mid lake humps and deeper neck down area's would hold at least some fish. I will try some nighttime fishing as well. That being said I was on the french river last weekend and caught a 20" eye in 10 feet of water on a senko at noon... lol

ive always done very well!

you gotta go to the end of the lake to get on good walleye,caught an 8 pounder right off our campsite 3 years ago,but walleye tend to be on the smaller size....great bass fishing too....as well as small pike

Thanks for the info DW,

I planned on getting some crawlers or even setting a trap for a few minnows for live bait. Also being at the mile 25 cabin I planned on venturing up the lake for more remote waters. I am bringing my own boat (with all the bells and whistles) which I have Navionics mapping on with the full map of the lake. Without it I would be a little more worried about getting turned around.

Sircranks,

To bad you had a hard fishing outing. Regardless of how we do it look like its a beautiful lake to explore and fish..... How was your experience with the outfitter otherwise..... anything in particular I should bring?