Night Fishing on the Ganaraska

jimmer

Well, they passed the law that there is no night fishing on the Ganaraska in Port Hope from 8 pm - 6 am. Heard it on the radio this morning. I understand people were leaving carcasses, but don't salmon die naturally after spawning??? LOL I'm sure the other reasons included public urination, drinking and littering

They said they were going to increase enforcement and if caught fishing, it will be a $150 fine. I'm sure it will increase if you're doing other illegal activities.

Not sure I like these kind of moves.

if you've never been there for the salmon run, go, go and see the sh!t show, go see all the garbage, go and see the thousands of fish on the shore that are split and emptied of eggs, males too, cause people can't tell the difference. go and see the palm sized treble hooks, the trolling rods, musky rods, 100lb braid, 50lb mono. go see the hundreds of people that fish a very small stretch of river.

people literally take 20-30 fish a day there, they snag them, they net them, the gaff hook them. there was a family of foreigners there one day, they had a length of rope with 5 gaff hooks tied to it, they would toss it across the river and drag it through a stack pool of salmon.

yes, the fish die after they spawn, but they don't spawn in the first 1000 yards of the river

by eliminating the night fishing, they not only make enforcing safer, but easier. they no longer have to sit in the dark and try to figure out if that one person is fishing legally, or if they are snagging. now, anyone fishing at night, is fishing illegally. and really, its only for the salmon run, from mid august to end of september, not a big deal

you don't want this rule to fail, the next step is to close the river to fishing, by posting no trespassing signs

Yeah, I fished there years ago and stopped going because of the crap show. Just wish laws would be enforced so they don't take opportunities away from the ones who care and abide by the regs and treat the area with respect.

The last couple years has been much better. Don't think the town has given increased enforcement enough time.

I think it's a racist thing. The locals see lot's of lesser skilled anglers show up and would like to blame them for slicing fish and dumping carcass. These lesser skilled anglers want the whole fish.

It's the skilled slob anglers that slice and dump. I've seen it over and over.

The salmon are done by 2nd week Oct and the salmon crowd go away. It's true the salmon crowd are a little more low end.

I switch to trout fishing, week days not to bad for crowds weekend not so much.

Most years I fish threw winter and when the March break hooligan crowd starts I drop in and visit. My goal is 100 trout each year.

people literally take 20-30 fish a day there, they snag them, they net them, the gaff hook them. there was a family of foreigners there one day, they had a length of rope with 5 gaff hooks tied to it, they would toss it across the river and drag it through a stack pool of salmon.

Thanks for telling us it was a family of "foreigners" :wallbash:

Funny how some find the truth offensive...smh Ever heard the term white bucket brigade? There's a reason for it, and I recall first seeing it 30 years ago before the term was even around. But I guess you find that offensive too.

What I don't get to_angler is why you would focus on one word in a post instead of the real issue of a rope with 5 gaff hooks being used to snag fish.

Funny how some find the truth offensive...smh Ever heard the term white bucket brigade? There's a reason for it, and I recall first seeing it 30 years ago before the term was even around. But I guess you find that offensive too.

What I don't get to_angler is why you would focus on one word in a post instead of the real issue of a rope with 5 gaff hooks being used to snag fish.

So if the "real issue" is "a length of rope with 5 gaff hooks tied to it", why the "focus" on "a family of foreigners" ????

Your post is "offensive". & so is FloatnFly's.

Give your head another shake.

Edited by pikeslayer

This is why I like my new salmon fishing venue. A handful of locals and me, the outsider. Not one of us, even think of doing one wrong move. They and I, are on the same page. It is so pleasant to fish with these guys. A couple of them are young, the rest older then I. Great stories shared , The banter of ,cloths line reels vs the coffee grinder reels, is a hoot. Fish are caught and released 90% of the time. Odd one kept for roe and yes, they eat the fish. Most of them smoke their catch and share during our gatherings. Even the share of the wealth of roe, will be shared. Not one takes more then they need. Best bunch of fellas I have ever met. Sure glad I just walked in to stir up a chat way back.

So if the "real issue" is "a length of rope with 5 gaff hooks tied to it", why the "focus" on "a family of foreigners" ????

Your post is "offensive". & so is FloatnFly's.

Give your head another shake.

Yup

Simon, when I first moved to Barrie, I got the low down on the hot spots to fish. I also got a real good look at the LOCALS, ripping fish out of the water. Yes LOCALS. YAHOOS. I was like, WT %$$% IS THIS. I got some real serious looks. Like, you just keep walking and never mind what we are doing. Line as thick as cloths cable, huge trebles with a bit of white yarn. Guess they thought the yarn was a safe way of saying, they are hitting it. Knowing now what I know, they were collecting eggs to sell. This is why now all roe sold, has to be from licensed fish farms.

It is all walk of nations, that make this crap show ruin it for those that truly enjoy the salmon season.

Edited by Misfish

Does this set precedent for other locations that have issues with littering and other fishing infractions?

Man, why can't people respect the opportunities that we have before we lose more options.

The Saugeen at Denny's Dam has had this regulation for a long time. I think it's a good thing.

The waters of the Saugeen River from Denny's Dam to the westerly edge of the concrete abutments situated downstream from the said dam, County of Bruce.

Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout and Pacific Salmon: Extended fall season from 4th Saturday in April to Dec. 31.

Closed to night fishing Oct.1 to Oct 31 (from one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise.)

Indifferent myself gave up tributary fishing years ago from lack of respect not gonna return to it anytime soon. Central Ontario fishing is best from kawarthas to Algonquin region have 4 different watercraft from a canoe to a 24 ft cuddy that can go anywhere for anything

Would you prefer the term non English/French speaking folks, or foreign immigrants there's a reason the signs are posted in 3 or 4 different languages if you want to make mountains out of mole hills, do it somewhere else

Edited by FloatnFly

Would you prefer the term non English/French speaking folks, or foreign immigrants there's a reason the signs are posted in 3 or 4 different languages if you want to make mountains out of mole hills, do it somewhere else

We all know what he was getting at. There is no need to point out that they are foreigners and he clearly stated his intention in his follow up post so don't play stupid